Linux Mint 11 "Katya" released!

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MSXManiac

Re: Linux Mint 11 "Katya" released!

Post by MSXManiac »

"Re: Linux Mint 11 "Katya" released!
by AlbertP on Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:44 pm

Did you upgrade by editing sources.list? Please install a clean Mint 11 and all is OK.
Linux Mint 11 64-bit / Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit dual-boot
Registered Linux User #528502"

Are you kidding me?
And lost all software installation that's all done!
Are you nuts?
To only solve this little problem?
I'm currently using Gnome Menu that's not so elegant like MintMenu but it works.
Clem, you have a fix or a workaround for this?
nostradamoose

Post by nostradamoose »

I don't find it that good as Mint 10. Is slower, more buggy and it crashes when i trie to setup compiz. That on fresh install. The Mint 10 is ten times better then 11. My opinion.
john123

Post by john123 »

I find Mint 10 to be allot better than Mint 11. Mint 11 has been nothing but headache's so i went back to Mint 10 and Xubuntu. Many problem's of Mint 11 is most likely caused by Ubuntu 11.04 which sucks
maywind

Post by maywind »

At last, Wi-Fi works out of the box. LibreOffice Writer starts quickly, unlike OOo. No problems with the hardware. Old good GNOME 2.x is much more friendly than all those newfangled Unity and so on. Katya is no doubt a great success.
palmic

Post by palmic »

john123 wrote:I find Mint 10 to be allot better than Mint 11. Mint 11 has been nothing but headache's so i went back to Mint 10 and Xubuntu. Many problem's of Mint 11 is most likely caused by Ubuntu 11.04 which sucks
Iam back on 10 too.
11 is really bad, i had problem almost every one hour of work.
Cant specify what exactly made problems, but Gnome was falling down and had a great lakes which caused me to stop working almost 10s!
jaspmatt

Post by jaspmatt »

Every day when I start my computer GDM puts up windows with no borders that cannot be moved around. The cure is to start the Fusion icon and reload the window manager. If that doesn't do it I have to do a restart GDM from a root terminal. Very frustrating.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

The fix is to downgrade Compiz:
http://www.webupd8.org/2011/05/how-to-d ... 86-in.html

The 'Login into the classic Ubuntu desktop session' step does not apply to Mint of course.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
jaspmatt

Post by jaspmatt »

I hate to downgrade anything - to me that is one step forward and two steps back. Is this an Ubuntu problem also or just a Mint thing? If so, we ought to lobby to get it fixed.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

The Compiz 0.9.x version that Ubuntu uses in 11.04 is not an official Compiz release, but a sort of beta for a Compiz re-write that's busy at the moment. The official last release is 0.8.6, to which the PPA downgrades.
CaptSaltyJack

Post by CaptSaltyJack »

Weird. I wonder why a beta version of something was included in a stable release??
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

It's unclear to me what 0.9 is exactly, but at least it's not official so in my opinion Mint should downgrade by default. At least the Compiz webpage says that they are re-writing it in another language.
I have done it on one of my two Mint 11 laptops, on the other one it's working fine so I'd left 0.9 there.
MarkX

Post by MarkX »

nostradamoose wrote:I don't find it that good as Mint 10. Is slower, more buggy and it crashes when i trie to setup compiz. That on fresh install. The Mint 10 is ten times better then 11. My opinion.

This could have something to do with your graphics card drivers. Since there were no details about the set up, the best advice I could provide is if you are using an Nvida card try using the Nvidia drivers and if you still have the same problem try using the Nvidia "experimental" drivers. I ran Linux Mint 10 on this same machine I am now running Linux Mint 11 on. Mint 11 runs much better. The install experience was much better also. It's too bad you ran into trouble but I would be glad to help resolve your issues if you want. You can post here or send me a message directly. I realize some people have issues with using the proprietary drivers but imho if a hardware company is willing to support Linux then great. They drivers work great also.

Good luck
MarkX

Post by MarkX »

jaspmatt wrote:I hate to downgrade anything - to me that is one step forward and two steps back. Is this an Ubuntu problem also or just a Mint thing? If so, we ought to lobby to get it fixed.
I had similar problems using Ubuntu 11.04 running Unity. But I have not experienced this problem at all on Linux Mint 11
MarkX

Post by MarkX »

jaspmatt wrote:Every day when I start my computer GDM puts up windows with no borders that cannot be moved around. The cure is to start the Fusion icon and reload the window manager. If that doesn't do it I have to do a restart GDM from a root terminal. Very frustrating.
Hi, you could maybe try this fix. This was in the "Know Issues" release notes for Linux Mint 11. Please let the forum know if this works for your issue. If not maybe in needs to be opened as a new issue.

Compiz Fusion

If you experience problems with the window manager (with window borders, focus or mouse clicks) launch "Fusion Icon" from the menu, and use the Fusion tray icon to switch your window manager to "Metacity".

Upstream regressions affect the "Cube" plugin in particular. It is recommended not to activate this plugin in Linux Mint 11.
MarkX

Post by MarkX »

jaspmatt wrote:I hate to downgrade anything - to me that is one step forward and two steps back. Is this an Ubuntu problem also or just a Mint thing? If so, we ought to lobby to get it fixed.

I am not sure downgrading is really a step backward in this case. I think this version was really made to try and be compatible with Ubuntu 11.04. I like Ubuntu but I am not a big fan of Unity. I think the changes they made forced a lot of software developers to make changes or be removed from the latest Ubuntu release. Hopefully in 6 months things will look better.
SkinnySeal

Post by SkinnySeal »

I'm new to Linux Mint, so I can't compare it to previous versions. Overall I like Mint 11, but as I am only on my third day here it's too early to tell. I have had some random panel applet issues on startup, and my computer has locked up once. I am assuming these issues are temporary and will be fixed. I'll probably run Linux Mint 11 (64-bit edition) on my home computer for a week and make up my mind then. My backup is Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, so if I have to I'll go back to using that for a month or so - and then return to Mint 11 to see if these initial issues are fixed.

I do find Linux Mint 11 "out of the box" better than straight Ubuntu, so I'm giving Mint 11 a thumbs up for now.

In tthe long run, I think the direction Linux Mint is heading towards suits me better than Ubuntu.
jonnycross

Post by jonnycross »

Hi All I am new to Linux and have tried various distros - I found Mint easy to install and most things work "out of the box"which is great Thanks to all who worked on this distro.
Puppy, DSL, Mepis and now Mint 11 "katya" and I still find no support for lightscribe and HDMI for my 32" TV (LCD) I will be searching the site for help but it would be nice "out of the box"
Thanks again for this really nice version
evros

Post by evros »

hey nice people ! :) why dont you give a muslim girl name for the 12 version, not bored of christian names like, julia, katya etc.. :mrgreen:

i just set mint 11 , had some problems first with wireless but i fixed it, now having a problem with my 1,5TB WD mounting, but i know i will fix it cos the forums help a lot :))

cheers and for 12 or 13 but "Rabia" for upcoming mints :P get more intercultural..
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

The name Julia comes from the Romans (female form of Julius - the 2nd name of Caesar). This is by origin not a Christian name.
jaspmatt

Post by jaspmatt »

Rabia is out of alphabetical sequence right now. Who knows what will happen by the time the "R's" come around!?

Return to “Introduce Yourself”