Problem with updates

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
fletcher

Problem with updates

Post by fletcher »

I installed LMDE yesterday. I have no experience with the Debian base, all my other OSes are 'buntu based.

Update manager tells me there are 1033 updates, but it will not install them. Says to fix broken packages first. Synaptic finds no broken packages.

How do I fix this?

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
malligt
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Problem with updates

Post by malligt »

I've had the exactly same problems with LMDE that you had, I originally posted here:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 00#p436590

People have advised me to use the terminal after installation, instead of mint update (gui). But, with all due respect, I re-installed it and tried the terminal as was advised, instead of mu, but the terminal results were also a bust for me.

I finally (and just temporarily---until the LMDE snapshot/re-spin is release this month?) installed LM Debian XFCE 2011-04, and updated it successfully from Mint Update.
lauren

Post by lauren »

Hi!
You must first choose about 4 of level1 updates, apply, then the next 4 ... (until all level 1 and level2 updates are installed),
afterwards all level3 updates.
craigevil

Post by craigevil »

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
should work just fine.
Or aptitude full-upgrade if you prefer using aptitude.
fletcher

Post by fletcher »

Thanks for the suggestions. I will try to find time to boot into LMDE today and try those out. Sounds like the CLI should work well. That usually does.

I just hope all those updates do not move LMDE to the top of my boot menu. I hate having to reconfigure Grub.
karashata

Post by karashata »

fletcher wrote:...

I just hope all those updates do not move LMDE to the top of my boot menu. I hate having to reconfigure Grub.
As long as you don't let the GRUB updates install the GRUB bootloader over the existing one in your MBR (I believe I just hit the Escape key when prompted where I wanted to install GRUB to, then it popped up an error about being unable to install GRUB to wherever, I acknowledged it and things proceeded just fine without replacing my existing GRUB) you should be alright. Just remember to re-run the update-grub script (or whatever it might be called) on your other OS after doing your updates to make sure GRUB recognizes any changes/newer kernels/etc that might have been installed with your upgrades.
Sonsum

Post by Sonsum »

karashata wrote:
As long as you don't let the GRUB updates install the GRUB bootloader over the existing one in your MBR (I believe I just hit the Escape key when prompted where I wanted to install GRUB to, then it popped up an error about being unable to install GRUB to wherever, I acknowledged it and things proceeded just fine without replacing my existing GRUB) you should be alright. Just remember to re-run the update-grub script (or whatever it might be called) on your other OS after doing your updates to make sure GRUB recognizes any changes/newer kernels/etc that might have been installed with your upgrades.
I just left everything alone after updating. I suppose I should run update-grub now, so I can actually use the new kernel :D

Return to “LMDE Archive”