Recently returned to linux, new to Mint

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
brento73

Recently returned to linux, new to Mint

Post by brento73 »

I first heard about open source *nix software when my MCSE instructor told us about FreeBSD(ironic?) back in the mid 90's. After playing with it for a while and finding that the graphics support wasn't amazing, I found linux. My first distro was Mandrake, and I later moved to SUSE, and more recently Ubuntu. At one point I went almost a year and a half without having a MS OS installed, but the gamer in me eventually compelled me to return to dual booting. About a year ago I had some issues getting Ubuntu to install, and since Win7 hadn't given me any specific reason to dislike it, I just stopped using linux. I still had contact in the way of tech support for my parents. My mom has Ubuntu 10.04 and my dad had a dual boot 10.04/Win7 setup.
After my dad's Ubuntu install somehow got hosed, I decided to see what other distros were out there, and found Mint. So far I've only been running it a few days, and I actually can't get it working on his system, but I like it. As a programming student, I'm hoping that in the future I might actually be able to contribute the the open source world. Right now my programming skill are still pretty basic, and I'm pretty rusty on linux in general, but the decade is young.
I'm also a musician(mostly guitar and vocals), a waiter, and a dad.

I hope to be able to get involved here, although my schedule is currently pretty crazy!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Recently returned to linux, new to Mint

Post by TBABill »

Welcome to Mint!!! Lots of friendly help if you need it and looking forward to more interaction with you on the forums!
The-Wizard

Post by The-Wizard »

welcome to the Mint family forums

wizard
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Hello brento73,
Welcome to Mint Forum :P
There is a lot of useful information for new and not-so-new users here -> http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 58#p302355
We have a Community site http://community.linuxmint.com/
For real-time help and discussion there are IRC channels,open MintMenu>Internet>XChat and you will be automatically connected to #linuxmint-help and #linuxmint-chat
Have fun with Mint
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

Welcome to the Linux Mint Forums brento73!

Cheers.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”