Firefox 5 upgrade? (solved)

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Ralf1e

Firefox 5 upgrade? (solved)

Post by Ralf1e »

I have twice had a box appear on the screen inviting me to click on a button to upgrade to Firefox 5 .
I have ignored it and closed the pane. Does anyone know anything about this?
I keep LMDE upgraded through terminal and it installed Firfox 4 through the upgrades itself. Is this a problem or just something Firefox 4 does itself
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Aging Technogeek

Re: Firefox 5 upgrade?

Post by Aging Technogeek »

Firefox 5 is available if you want to install it. It is slightly faster than Firefox 4.01 but you will have to live with fewer add-ons (if that matters to you) as some add-ons are not compatible with FF 5 yet. One big one is Google Toolbar. Other than that, FF 5 is a good thing.
cpatrick08

Post by cpatrick08 »

Ralf1e wrote:I have twice had a box appear on the screen inviting me to click on a button to upgrade to Firefox 5 .
I have ignored it and closed the pane. Does anyone know anything about this?
I keep LMDE upgraded through terminal and it installed Firfox 4 through the upgrades itself. Is this a problem or just something Firefox 4 does itself
go to http://mozilla.debian.net// and you can upgrade to ff5 ff6 ff auora or ff beta but it will be iceweasel not ff itself though
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

According the Mozilla Devs and Topics in the Mozillazine/Firefox Forums, the next few versions of Firefox will be coming at us 'fast and furious' And not just the (xx.1) point/updated releases but the full version ... why? I don't know.

Firefox-4.0 was just released roughly 2 months ago ... Firefox-5.0 will be released next month (July 2011) and Firefox 6.0 is due for release in Sept. 2011.

As with most Linux Apps/programs ... you can use the current stable version and the 'next' release is available for testing.

I have been using Firefox-5.0 for about 2 weeks now ... faster than either Firefox-4 or Chrome-browser.
I don't use all that many Mozilla extensions or Add-ons, but all the ones I do use 'are already' available for version 5.0

Of course, you can download the Firefox package from the main Mozilla/Firefox website and compile it yourself.
Add the Mozilla repros to your current Debian/LMDE sources.list
Or add the Launchpad PPA, for whichever version of Firefox you want, to your Mint/Ubuntu repros.

Keep in mind, that PPA's are NOT recommended for use with Debian or LMDE.
craigevil

Post by craigevil »

$ apt-cache policy iceweasel
iceweasel:
Installed: 6.0~a2+20110615042007-1
Candidate: 6.0~a2+20110615042007-1
Version table:
*** 6.0~a2+20110615042007-1 0
500 http://mozilla.debian.net/ experimental/iceweasel-aurora i386 Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
4.0.1-4 0
1 http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/ experimental/main i386 Packages
3.5.19-2 0
500 http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/ unstable/main i386 Packages

Personally I just use Firefox from Mozilla.
My Firefox Information
Last updated: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 05:06:56 GMT
User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; rv:5.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/5.0

Extensions (enabled: 17, disabled: 3; total: 20) Themes (3)
  • Firefox B [selected]
  • Oxygen KDE [selected]
Plugins
  • Adobe Reader 9.4
  • DivX Browser Plug-In
  • Google Talk Plugin
  • Google Talk Plugin Video Accelerator
  • Helix DNA Plugin: RealPlayer G2 Plug-In Compatible
  • Java(TM) Plug-in 1.6.0_26
  • mplayerplug-in is now gecko-mediaplayer 0.9.9.2
  • OpenOffice.org Plug-in
  • QuickTime Plug-in 7.6.4
  • RealPlayer 9
  • Shockwave Flash
  • Windows Media Player Plug-in
scottlinux

Post by scottlinux »

Since 4 is now EOL without security updates, shouldn't 5 just be a regular update down the tubes?

Edit: Linux Mint packages their own firefox for LMDE

http://packages.linuxmint.com/list.php?release=Debian

Maybe this will be updated soon?
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

I also updated to iceweasel 6 on Debian-sid gnome

wayne@debian:~$ apt-cache policy iceweasel
iceweasel:
Installed: 6.0~a2+20110615042007-1
Candidate: 6.0~a2+20110615042007-1
Version table:
*** 6.0~a2+20110615042007-1 0
500 http://mozilla.debian.net/ experimental/iceweasel-6.0 amd64 Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
3.5.19-2 0
500 http://ftp.jp.debian.org/debian/ unstable/main amd64 Packages
roger64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by roger64 »

craigevil wrote: Personally I just use Firefox from Mozilla.
The same. Just downloaded the Linux localized version from Mozilla site. No need to compile anything. :)
I had previously installed FF 4.01 on /opt.
I just had to download it, uncompress and move the new firefox folder on /opt to replace the old one.
Nothing can be more easy.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Firefox 5 for Mint 9/10/11 users.

https://launchpad.net/~mozillateam/+arc ... refox-next

Add ppa:mozillateam/firefox-next to your software sources (either using the Software Sources program or using sudo add-apt-repository).
Then you'll get an update to FF5. Just installing it.

Oh no. Firefox 5 has just been added to the Dutch mirror so already got the update to 5, without that PPA. The program loads faster, but I haven't yet seen any difference. Adblock Plus just works and that's the only addon I need.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
PurplePerson

Post by PurplePerson »

See, the way I read this post is that he is wanting to keep updating Firefox through the normal repos, but doesn't want to be hassled by Firefox's auto-update checking. Firefox 5 will appear in the normal repos soon enough.

To turn off the update check feature in Firefox go to Menu->Preferences->Advanced(Tab)->Update(Tab), and untick 'Firefox'.

Of course I could have totally misread it.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

I got FF 5 today using the Dutch mirror (Tuxis). Perhaps your mirror hasn't yet updated it, but at least it will come soon.

Sorry, but there is no 'Firefox' under the Update tab on Linux. The Linux version uses the distro's own updater, while the Windows version provides its own (Microsoft does not add FF to Windows' updates where Linux distros do).
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
PurplePerson

Post by PurplePerson »

AlbertP wrote:Sorry, but there is no 'Firefox' under the Update tab on Linux. The Linux version uses the distro's own updater, while the Windows version provides its own (Microsoft does not add FF to Windows' updates where Linux distros do).
I assure you there is. At least In my current version 4.0.1. I'm aware of how linux updates and windows updates differ, my answer was to help the OP stop the built-in firefox update checks (if desired), and let the OS handle it.
JeffShepherd

Post by JeffShepherd »

I've had one notification from Firefox that an upgrade is available but I had to stop it as everyting was running at a snails pace. I know Firefox 5 will soon be available through the repositories but just out of interest, is there away to make Firefox 4 check again for the update?
PurplePerson

Post by PurplePerson »

JeffShepherd wrote:I've had one notification from Firefox that an upgrade is available but I had to stop it as everyting was running at a snails pace. I know Firefox 5 will soon be available through the repositories but just out of interest, is there away to make Firefox 4 check again for the update?
If you go to Menu->Help->About Firefox, there will be a button for checking for updates. I wouldn't though.
JeffShepherd

Post by JeffShepherd »

roger64 wrote:
The same. Just downloaded the Linux localized version from Mozilla site. No need to compile anything. :)
I had previously installed FF 4.01 on /opt.
I just had to download it, uncompress and move the new firefox folder on /opt to replace the old one.
Nothing can be more easy.
I tried that but FF5 wouldn't run.
JeffShepherd

Post by JeffShepherd »

PurplePerson wrote:
JeffShepherd wrote:I've had one notification from Firefox that an upgrade is available but I had to stop it as everyting was running at a snails pace. I know Firefox 5 will soon be available through the repositories but just out of interest, is there away to make Firefox 4 check again for the update?
If you go to Menu->Help->About Firefox, there will be a button for checking for updates. I wouldn't though.
I've done that and there is a link to click on that takes me to the Mozilla website but no button. Why would you not upgrade this way?
lmintnewb

Post by lmintnewb »

Scuttlebutt has it Mozilla is planning on picking up the pace. New release due every 16wks or so. Firefox must be feeling the pressure to stay on par or ahead of it's competitors. If FF 5, is in fact faster than chrome/chromium latest under linux. Definitely can't see how that would hurt Mozillas chances of staying ahead of them.

Went ahead and updated Windows to it the night I 1st heard it was released. FF 5, is a bit snappier than 4.01 was, shrugs. Haven't used it in a nix OS yet, 4.01 is the latest I have on anything nixish. Actually hope the new rapid release thing works out to mutual advantage for FF users and Mozilla.
PurplePerson

Post by PurplePerson »

JeffShepherd wrote:I've done that and there is a link to click on that takes me to the Mozilla website but no button. Why would you not upgrade this way?
Strange, mine (v4.0.1) does have a button for checking for updates on the 'About' dialog. Honestly don't know why yours wouldn't.

I just wouldn't go this route because you'll be updating software outside of the package manager. The package you downloaded was probably the tar.bz2 file, which you extract and then put in /opt either in place of the existing version or alongside (along with any $PATH adjustments if you need). The problem is that the package manager doesn't know any of this has happened. If you replace your existing firefox 4 with the new firefox 5 (as /opt/firefox) the package manager will still think you have firefox 4 installed.

When version 5 gets pushed to the repositories the package manager will want to update to version 5 (thinking it still has version 4 installed). Now chances are it won't cause any problems, but why take the risk for the sake of (probably) a few days?
nafnaf

Post by nafnaf »

Firefox 5 arrived via update manager - so, I do not understand why that is not so for everyone. I have it on 3 computers using Mint 11.

As for incompatible add-ons, use Add-on Compatibility Reporter, which makes most incompatible add-ons, such as Google Toolbar, work just fine.
JeffShepherd

Post by JeffShepherd »

PurplePerson wrote:
JeffShepherd wrote:I've done that and there is a link to click on that takes me to the Mozilla website but no button. Why would you not upgrade this way?
Strange, mine (v4.0.1) does have a button for checking for updates on the 'About' dialog. Honestly don't know why yours wouldn't.

I just wouldn't go this route because you'll be updating software outside of the package manager. The package you downloaded was probably the tar.bz2 file, which you extract and then put in /opt either in place of the existing version or alongside (along with any $PATH adjustments if you need). The problem is that the package manager doesn't know any of this has happened. If you replace your existing firefox 4 with the new firefox 5 (as /opt/firefox) the package manager will still think you have firefox 4 installed.

When version 5 gets pushed to the repositories the package manager will want to update to version 5 (thinking it still has version 4 installed). Now chances are it won't cause any problems, but why take the risk for the sake of (probably) a few days?
Ah right ok, thanks for telling me that.

I have foundout why I do not have the update button, it is because I have FF set to update automatically.

Return to “LMDE Archive”