LMDE Fonts - Too Bold in Some Places

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

LMDE Fonts - Too Bold in Some Places

Post by TBABill »

I scanned through all the font posts and I only have issue with one font but I cannot figure out where to change it. When I go to http://news.google.com or within the forums, the "headlines" or the forum subject lines are a very bold font. I like the fonts and the rendering is fine, but I want something a bit more subtle like in Ubuntu. Can anyone tell me where Chromium pulls its fonts from for those particular spots? Changing fonts in Chromium does not fix it nor does changing desktop font settings.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karashata

Re: LMDE Fonts - Too Bold in Some Places

Post by karashata »

Just a suggestion that may or may not fix the problem: Try installing the ttf-mscorefonts-installer package (using 'sudo apt-get --install ttf-mscorefonts-installer' in a terminal window, since Synaptic seems to have problems displaying the EULA for acceptance) to install the MS fonts. A lot of websites use fonts provided in that package, and the replacement/fallback fonts sometimes don't look right, work very well, or are the wrong type of font (one site I use uses a sans-serif font when the MS fonts are installed, the fallback font ends up being a serif font for some reason...).

If that doesn't help, I'm not sure what might.
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Post by TBABill »

I'll sure give it a look. Overall LMDE has nice fonts, but there are a few places where they just look large, thick and bold. I'll keep experimenting, but I think I need to get into my Ubuntu partition and start comparing font configs to see where the differences lie.
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

TBABill wrote:I scanned through all the font posts and I only have issue with one font but I cannot figure out where to change it. When I go to http://news.google.com or within the forums, the "headlines" or the forum subject lines are a very bold font. I like the fonts and the rendering is fine, but I want something a bit more subtle like in Ubuntu. Can anyone tell me where Chromium pulls its fonts from for those particular spots? Changing fonts in Chromium does not fix it nor does changing desktop font settings.
I can verify that this just happened to me also with todays updates. Font appearance has changed most everywhere, but most apparant in Chrome (and of course, Chromium). Very bold there.

Not as "crisp" looking in all other aps.
Font settings remain the same, both in LMDE settings, and in Chrome settings?
I assume its from the font related updates downloaded today.

Code: Select all

Commit Log for Thu Jun 23 08:38:05 2011

Upgraded the following packages:
fontconfig-config (2.8.0-2ubuntu1) to 2.8.0-2.2
gtk2-engines-aurora (1.5.1~pablo1-1mint1) to 1.5.1-1
gtk2-engines-murrine (0.90.3+git20100323-0ubuntu3) to 0.98.1.1-2
libcairo-gobject2 (1.10.0-1ubuntu2) to 1.10.2-6
libcairo2 (1.10.0-1ubuntu2) to 1.10.2-6
libfontconfig1 (2.8.0-2ubuntu1) to 2.8.0-2.2
libpixman-1-0 (0.18.4-1) to 0.21.8-1

Installed the following packages:
murrine-themes (0.98.1)
All was perfect before todays updates.
Going to try to revert to "pre-update"
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

Now isn't that odd!

I just reinstalled a recent (6-20-11) clone of my LMDE partition and have the good looking fonts back again. The odd part is when I just did a full update the seemingly offending packages = (may not be all of these, but something in the below update broke my fonts)

Code: Select all

Upgraded the following packages:
fontconfig-config (2.8.0-2ubuntu1) to 2.8.0-2.2
gtk2-engines-aurora (1.5.1~pablo1-1mint1) to 1.5.1-1
gtk2-engines-murrine (0.90.3+git20100323-0ubuntu3) to 0.98.1.1-2
libcairo-gobject2 (1.10.0-1ubuntu2) to 1.10.2-6
libcairo2 (1.10.0-1ubuntu2) to 1.10.2-6
libfontconfig1 (2.8.0-2ubuntu1) to 2.8.0-2.2
libpixman-1-0 (0.18.4-1) to 0.21.8-1

Installed the following packages:
murrine-themes (0.98.1)
Were no longer available for update?

I did all the updates that were presently available (around 72 packages), and all is still fine. Fonts are back nice and neat, like they had been for months.

Go figure! :cry: :?:
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Post by TBABill »

Mine look better, but Xubuntu and Ubuntu look far superior to LMDE's fonts overall. But LMDE looks much better than Kubuntu's fonts. Odd, but I know Ubuntu spends a great deal of effort on fonts so it's probably to be expected.

Return to “LMDE Archive”