Celena CD doesn't boot solved

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
leo72
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Celena CD doesn't boot

Post by leo72 »

I'm glad to see that another user's having my same problems, because I was thinking that I was the only one that got that error!

Now I hope that any of the developers will look at this bug and try to solve it.

Like 67GTA, I've quit to use Mint because I wouldn't be able anymore to install Daryna on my desktop (where Ubuntu installed fine) after Cassandra.
Husse

Post by Husse »

I can't see the error, but I have asked Clem to help us
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

Thank you Husse. It might help if everyone that has gotten this error posts their system info. Maybe there will be some specific hardware that sticks out. Do we need to start a new thread? Can anyone that has this error confirm that the retail CD's boot okay? If so, I will be glad to buy one.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
carlos
Level 4
Level 4

Post by carlos »

I was also getting the same issue burning a darnya cd. I got 6 coasters! I finally was able to burn a proper iso on OSX... :?

Maybe there was something wrong with the darnya iso? Mind you I've downloaded it from 3 different servers and all the md5 sums checked out ok...
____________ ________ ______ ____ ___ __ __ _
http://www.designdrifter.com
The Purpose of Life is for DNA to reproduce.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Starting from Celena isolinux is using a much heavier background image... maybe this is related, maybe it isn't. I know that in VMWare for instance it takes longer to show isolinux than it did with Cassandra and previous releases. As I honestly don't have a clue why you can't start isolinux on your machines future versions of Mint will use a lighter background image in order to eventually achieve better compatibility.

I'll make sure upcoming community editions use this lighter background image (or none at all).

Clem
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

Update on my situation. I did not have Windows installed(came preinstalled). After reading posts for the isolinux developer's forums, I found out that the 01 disk error pointed to a BIOS problem. I reinstalled Vista, and found a BIOS, and CD/DVD drive firmware update from HP. After installing these, Mint boots fine on my PC. I'm assuming it was the BIOS update. There have been a lot of syslinux errors with the newer versions becuase of BIOS incompatibility. IT WASN"T MINT. I wish you could get BIOS updates to install in Linux. A lot of people are like me, and only have Linux installed, and the BIOS gets frozen while the apps that work with the BIOS keep evolving. Maybe this will help others resolve the problem.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
leo72
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Celena CD doesn't boot solved

Post by leo72 »

My BIOS is at the last available version and I cannot update it anymore (my mobo is discontinued).
On my system there is Windows XP together with Linux, not Vista.
My PC hasn't changed since Cassandra. But Cassandra installed quite fine, Celena and Daryna not.

I'm using Ubuntu 7.10 now, hoping Clem will try to look at this problem as soon as possible.
hotweiss

Post by hotweiss »

I have the same problem... I have my BIOS upgraded to the latest version... Other distos work..., but I like Mint the most.
hotweiss

Post by hotweiss »

I just read in another thread that the problem could be the Raid controller... I do have Raid 0 for my Vista partition...
Husse

Post by Husse »

I see you add yourself to an old thread - it's better to start anew topic.
Raid is a problem as no Raid on a (consumer) motherboard is pure hardware, it's basically a "slightly hardware assisted software Raid"
There is a built in Raid support in the present kernel.
Do some googling for Raid + Linux and Raid + gutsy and for Raid in the forum
hotweiss

Post by hotweiss »

OK, I was able to install Mint. For the install I disabled Raid, this solved my problem. I later re-enabled it and pointed my BIOS to my RAID 0 drive (Vista) for booting; because as Husse has mentioned previously, Linux doesn't see software raid controllers. In Vista I installed a boot manager (can't remember name) and I added Mint to it. After that, everything is working as it should be - I can now use both OS's.
hotweiss

Post by hotweiss »

I used EasyBCD as my boot manager, great app. When you select which partition to boot from, select your swap drive...
techfun

Post by techfun »

I get the same error in Daryna:

Code: Select all

isolinux: Disk error 01, AX=4280, drive 73 
But ONLY on my very newest PC. It works great on older machine. Ubuntu 7.10, CENTOS 5, Fedora 7, and everything else I've tried work on the new PC where Mint fails.

I did a little looking and the problem,. I suspect, is the very old (from 2005) version of isolinux (v. 3.11 I think?) used for the Mint LiveCD. All the other distros are using 3.3x from 2007 and work wonderfully. I will continue using Mint on all my other machines and stick to Ubuntu Gutsy on the new one and hope that the next release of Mint incorporates a more up-to-date version of isolinux in the Live CD.

Return to “Installation & Boot”