This thread has taught me many things.
1. We all have way too much time on our hands apparently and can overthink even the most trivial thing until it's been beaten to death and then beaten some more.
2. Exploder tamed vista. Only ever used one comp with vista. Never gave me any problems. Though agree it's craptastic and only truly worthwhile in the hands of a tech guru such as exploder, or someone who just plain lucks out by a quirk of fate.
a. Exploder has access to ALOT of hdd's.
b. There's a windows version of bleachbit ... hmmmm.
c. He's almost talked me into PCOSlinux. They have a lighter weight edition if I remember correctly ? Or there's always the just install a light DE and set it to default. If you're that impressed with it exploder. Then I must really be missing out w/o giving it a full install tryout.
3. Roken's post imo is composed of pure wisdom and reeks of a positive attitude that should be shared by true nix community members. Though I couldn't agree more with his outlook. I won't criticize winblows users themselves ( esp since I am one ). But will all too often criticize M$ at the slightest opportunity, lol. I despise them and think they embody craptasticness. When pressed however will readily admit the software they produce can be made to run well enough for most PC users needs ... sighs. Really really pressed will even admit to actually having become fond of XP over the years. ( don't tell anybody ! )
4. Agree with DrHu ... that's why he's the Dr and I am da newb I guess ... more sighs.
5. I forgot what I was going to type here ... errrrr.
Ah came up with an edit after thought. 6. GLR seems to know more than a lil about comps, components and making nix work.
7. Even managed to come up with a 7 ( by this point, I'm trolling, lol.)
Use Avira too, tis light, reputable enough and what I really like about it. Can disable it from automatically starting and wasting RAM and only start it when I need it. Yes ... sure there are others that allow it. Avast in the latest editions, used to prefer it ... has become a bloated pig dog. While no doubt works well enough. Ya don't need an up to the minute anti-vir running every sec your PC is turned on, imo. Main thing about M$ security in my view is using your computer with common sense. The whole sec viruses will getcha paranoia seems to me just that. Mainly paranoia.
If it were anything as bad as so many people seem to suggest and think. You wouldn't be able to turn on a computer running a winblows OS without it instantly being infested by computer nasties. That clearly isn't the case in real life. As gazillions of people use them everyday without becoming infected.
Have gone longgggggggg periods of time with nothing more than a good firewall running w no winblows infections. Want an AV I can start when I need to use it. Otherwise don't want it slowing up my comp scanning anything and everything and protecting me from things that go bump in the night and hide under your bed. When the biggest thing you need to protect yourself is common sense. Using any OS platform that still applies in general ... imo anyway.