Installing Linux Mint on Vista Machine

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.

Installing Linux Mint on Vista Machine

Post by Guest »

The computer in question is an HP Pavillion dv6000, with two 1.6 AMD Processors and 2 GB of RAM. It's currently running Vista.

I have downloaded Linux Mint 4.0 and have burned the ISO to a CD. At boot-time, I select "Start Linux Mint". The CD goes through its thing, loading and saying "Ok". But, after all that, I simply get a black screen. The CD stops spinning, and I don't even hear my processor doing anything. I've let the computer sit for a while (even when to eat and take a shower) but got nothing out of the computer.

Could anyone clarify what is going on and how I might correct it?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nick
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Installing Linux Mint on Vista Machine

Post by nick »

Hi

When you see the boot options for the live cd, press F6 Then you should see a command line with some commands. add "noapic nolapic" at the end and press enter.

Nick
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

if vista is using up the whole disk I would first use vista to shrink its c: partition to give you room to install mint on. (that is if you want to dual boot)

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!

Post by Guest »

Well, I got closer.

Now I just get the Mint desktop and a blank, grey bar at the bottom. My computer stops everything and just sits there.
nick
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nick »

Hi

Assuming you have made a spare partion on Vista first.

There is some info here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... 094&page=2

"Try booting with the kernel parameters "highres=off nohz=off", it should work."

Have you tried the CD on another computer to make sure it works?

Nick

Post by Guest »

I was under the impression I could dual boot from a single drive. If I have to partition, I could get on that. Would I then have to make a 3rd partition for all the apps I wanted to sh are between both operating systems?

And no, I haven't tried it on another machine. I currently don't have access to one.
nick
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nick »

Hi

That is correct
I was under the impression I could dual boot from a single drive. If I have to partition, I could get on that.
Would I then have to make a 3rd partition for all the apps I wanted to sh are between both operating systems?
No you can access the windows partion from Linux

Have you booted cd OK yet?

Nick

Post by Guest »

No...I haven't. I still need to make the partition...I'm unsure as to how to make it. For now, it barely boots to Linux. But then it just freezes with a blank, grey bar at the bottom.
nick
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nick »

Hi
No...I haven't. I still need to make the partition...I'm unsure as to how to make it. For now, it barely boots to Linux. But then it just freezes with a blank, grey bar at the bottom.
Well don't worry about the partion until you can get the live CD to boot.

First, could you try the live cd on another computer?

Also, did you try adding the "highres=off nohz=off" at boot?

Nick

Return to “Installation & Boot”