Firefox 5 upgrade? (solved)

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Firefox 5 upgrade?

Post by caf4926 »

Firefox 5 is working just fine and offers security fixes and improvements over the now dropped v.4
http://www.infoworld.com/d/applications ... upport-945
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
jeffreyC

Post by jeffreyC »

FireFox 5 has problems with printing to pdf.
Other than that it is not very different.
It seems that they are trying to look like they are modern since Chrom(e/ium) is on version 12 or 13.
lmintnewb

Post by lmintnewb »

Can only say it's a bit faster on Windows than 4.01 was. Hoping to see mozilla step up their game compared to other web browsers. Seems like a bunch of distro's are opting to use chrome/chromium as default browser lately. Think that has more to do with revenue, than anything browser performance ... shrugs.

Could be wrong in that. Do remember chrome/ium 11 being a nightmare. Crashing and dragging butt for a bunch of nix users. New version number doesn't mean better. Means new/higher version number. :D Hoping FF/mozilla focuses on what people want and doesn't get caught up in a meaningless numbers race. Having FF v 10 out won't mean much ... if it stinks.

Same for the developers of any other web browser. If it's not a real improvement, why put out something new ? The whole nightly build thing in my opinion is ridiculous. How many improvements do people really think will happen in 24hrs ? Just something to help them test for bugs I guess and keep people with an obsession to have the latest installed satisfied. Whether it's any good or not.
scottlinux

Post by scottlinux »

nafnaf wrote:Firefox 5 arrived via update manager - so, I do not understand why that is not so for everyone. I have it on 3 computers using Mint 11.
This is the LMDE forum section - asking about Firefox 5 on LMDE. Cheers,
Ralf1e

Post by Ralf1e »

PurplePerson wrote:See, the way I read this post is that he is wanting to keep updating Firefox through the normal repos, but doesn't want to be hassled by Firefox's auto-update checking. Firefox 5 will appear in the normal repos soon enough.

To turn off the update check feature in Firefox go to Menu->Preferences->Advanced(Tab)->Update(Tab), and untick 'Firefox'.

Of course I could have totally misread it.
You were right
Thank you all for so much info.
This pop up update appeared on my wife's windows computer as well and we closed in on that also.
I don't like things updating themselves when they feel like it. I like to wait until they are tested and come through the repos so that I know any dependency issues have been looked at.
Also I like to know that the link in a pop up like that is going where is says, as a security issue
I liked Firefox 3 but think Firefox 4 is awful. It crashes all over the place on this as well as on the evil windows xp pro machine my wife uses. Not just on things like youtube but it gets stuck on ebay pages as well and we have to restart when it does so.
We never had any of that with Firefox 3 so I hope they get it right with these new rushed releases. They certainly trashed it with Firefox 4
I've been using Firefox for so long that I have put up with the recent problems because it's been so good in the past and on windows I never ever used I E.
Maybe I will check out Chrome if the new releases are as naughty as Firefox 4
Roken
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Roken »

Aging Technogeek wrote:Firefox 5 is available if you want to install it. It is slightly faster than Firefox 4.01 but you will have to live with fewer add-ons (if that matters to you) as some add-ons are not compatible with FF 5 yet. One big one is Google Toolbar. Other than that, FF 5 is a good thing.
There's a version of the Google Lite toolbar for FF5 and FF6 available at http://www.borngeek.com/firefox/googlebarlite/
Kernel Linux Tex 5.12.14-zen1-1-zen, XFCE
Arch
Dual GTX1070 8Gb
AMD Ryzen 1800X
32Gb RAM
roger64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by roger64 »

Manual install (or not)

On another post (breakages) Clem said yesterday

Please don't update manually to Firefox 5. We're working on this update at the moment and version 5 should come to you via the Mint repositories either today or this week-end.
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 70#p439202

I post on this thread which deals specifically with this subject because I am puzzled:

On one hand, Clem advises strongly not to update manually. Mint users have better trust him, I think. :)

On the other hand, Mozilla, which for this edition of Firefox 5 took special care of its Linux users, delivers localized versions of Firefox clearly targeted for average users. If this was to produce a bad user experience, it would be adverse to Mozilla interests and a very suicidal behaviour. So, if Mozilla does it, it's because it thinks it's a good ans safe way to install.

Do you guys, experts and gurus have more information about the advantages and disavantages of manual update. I use it for over two years now mainly on Ubuntu, but also now on LMDE, and did not experience the slightest problem but I represent only an individual case...
Last edited by roger64 on Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

64-bit users may get Flash problems as the Firefox from Mozilla's website is 32-bit. And when upgrading from the repository, 64-bit Flash just works fine.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
Roken
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Roken »

roger64 wrote:Manual install (or not)
Do you guys, experts and gurus have more information about the advantages and disavantages of manual update. I use it for over two years now mainly on Ubuntu, but also now on LMDE, and did not experience the slightest problem but I represent only an individual case...
Personally I don't using FF5 from Mozilla as an issue, although I didn't update. You can download FF5 from Mozilla, extract the archive somewhere useful and simply use it directly simply by re-pointing your shortcuts to, for example, ~/firefox/firefox.

This way, I'll still get the upgrade from the mint repos when it's available, I can revert to FF4 if I need to by simply pointing shortcuts back to plain old firefox (or just typing firefox into a terminal), and I can experiment with FF5 all I want in the meantime. It's a no brainer since it doesn't actually require installing.
Arch
Dual GTX1070 8Gb
AMD Ryzen 1800X
32Gb RAM
roger64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by roger64 »

Thanks for this concrete reply.

This seems to be a sound argument pour 64 bits users, though why Mozilla chooses to do so would probably deserve to be explained.

This leaves full 32 bits users (like me) on the safe side. :)
Ralf1e

Post by Ralf1e »

roger64 wrote:Thanks for this concrete reply.

This seems to be a sound argument pour 64 bits users, though why Mozilla chooses to do so would probably deserve to be explained.

This leaves full 32 bits users (like me) on the safe side. :)
As the original asker of the question I have to say I am 64 bit user. So why don't they keep the pop ups to themselves and let the mint team do it's best for us all. What's the rush unless they are desperate to wean us off the crappy Firefox 4 before we migrate.
Take a look at most of these posts guys!
Most of you are all trying to show how clever you are with total disregard to the original question.
Which was a politely put, is this legit or is some bastard trying to hack all computers running firefox.
Isn't it a shame hardly anyone understood the first time.
AdamS

Post by AdamS »

jeffreyC wrote:FireFox 5 has problems with printing to pdf.
Other than that it is not very different.
It seems that they are trying to look like they are modern since Chrom(e/ium) is on version 12 or 13.
save the PDF then print works just fine.
Roken
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Roken »

Ralf1e wrote: As the original asker of the question I have to say I am 64 bit user. So why don't they keep the pop ups to themselves and let the mint team do it's best for us all. What's the rush unless they are desperate to wean us off the ***** Firefox 4 before we migrate.
Take a look at most of these posts guys!
Most of you are all trying to show how clever you are with total disregard to the original question.
Which was a politely put, is this legit or is some ****** trying to hack all computers running firefox.
Isn't it a shame hardly anyone understood the first time.
In fact, your original question was nothing of the sort, and most certainly did not include expletives in a family forum.

Your original question was is the firefox popup asking you to upgrade a problem since you upgrade through the repository. There was no mention of illegitimately born hackers anywhere whatsoever.

Many of the replies, far from people "Showing how clever they are", actually demonstrate that it isn't a problem and that you are free to upgrade in this way, or to highlight the alternative options available to you.
Arch
Dual GTX1070 8Gb
AMD Ryzen 1800X
32Gb RAM
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

Firefox-5.0 was just released as 'stable' by Mozilla (yesterday) ... and Firefox-5.0 has already hit the repros.

And me, always wanting to be on the 'cutting edge' of Open Source ... I have just installed Firefox-6.0 Aurora A2 from the Launchpad.net/mozilla PPA's. (remember PPA's work with Ubuntu-based distros and do not work with Debian/LMDE)

Firefox-6.0 is to be released in Sept. 2011. And, is now available for testing and bug-reporting purposes.
craigevil

Post by craigevil »

vrkalak wrote:Firefox-5.0 was just released as 'stable' by Mozilla (yesterday) ... and Firefox-5.0 has already hit the repros.

And me, always wanting to be on the 'cutting edge' of Open Source ... I have just installed Firefox-6.0 Aurora A2 from the Launchpad.net/mozilla PPA's. (remember PPA's work with Ubuntu-based distros and do not work with Debian/LMDE)

Firefox-6.0 is to be released in Sept. 2011. And, is now available for testing and bug-reporting purposes.
No but you can get Iceweasel aurora:
# Iceweasel 4.0/5/6 beta/aurora packages for Debian http://glandium.org/blog/?p=1032
# Debian Mozilla team APT archive - http://mozilla.debian.net/
# To use this archive, you need to add the following entry in /etc/apt/sources.list
# deb http://mozilla.debian.net/ $release $pkg-$ver
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

^ @ craigevil > Thanks for the quick comment and links.

I knew I could count on you. :D

[I need to make an official Firefox-6.0 Aurora thread]
jeffreyC

Post by jeffreyC »

@Gúrú Linux ríomhaire
The pdf is what is a mess, I am not trying to print it to paper.

Also FireFox 4 is already End of Life there will be no security updates for it.
Sonsum

Post by Sonsum »

nafnaf wrote:Firefox 5 arrived via update manager - so, I do not understand why that is not so for everyone. I have it on 3 computers using Mint 11.
I can second this, I updated and used Firefox 5 today.

Return to “LMDE Archive”