Linux Mint Number 2 on Distrowatch!

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint Number 2 on Distrowatch!

Post by newW2 »

I see that the 7-day ranking has us at number two on the hit list. That's the highest ranking thus far I believe. :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Linux Mint Number 2 on Distrowatch!

Post by clem »

No, it's been #1 on a few occasions. Most people look at the default settings though (6 months ranking) and we're constantly going up on this.. Although this doesn't necessarily reflect the size of our user-base (Debian for instance has way many users than us, it wouldn't even be fair to compare us to them in that respect) it shows that our project is catching attention and it does attract a lot of newcomers to Linux Mint, at least it makes people try our liveCDs.

We can't rely on the number of downloads to know the size of our user-base either because most mirrors don't keep stats and because some external sources (distrowatch for instance) link directly to some of our ISOs.

We can only compare in a relative way to other distributions via tools such as web stats. Look here for instance: http://distrowatch.com/awstats/awstats. ... etail.html . We're number 6 here as well and this is more meaningful than anything else.. although slackware and a few others don't modify their user-agents, we only modify Firefox's user-agent and some of the distributions above us link to distrowatch from community/official websites (we don't). Overall I believe this is the only meaningful source of comparison between us and other distributions.. but again, it doesn't tell us how many users run Mint...

I guess we'll never really know :)

Clem

Return to “Open Chat”