LMDE (stable) Firefox5 from MU error

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
decalguy

LMDE (stable) Firefox5 from MU error

Post by decalguy »

I'm running on the (stable) repo's and after getting Firefox 5 from Mint Update this morning I get this error:

lms@tuxed ~ $ firefox
/opt/firefox/firefox-bin: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.15' not found (required by /opt/firefox/libxul.so)

I looked in synaptic for libstdc++.so.6 and it is installed which should take care of the GLIBC not found but it dosen't. Any ideas on how to fix this as firefox 5 won't run?

Mike

Edit sorry this is lmde x64 forgot to mention that
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vrkalak

Re: LMDE (stable) Firefox5 from MU error

Post by vrkalak »

Firefox-5.0 has been officially released as stable by Mozila.

Firefox-5 has made it into the Debian 'testing' repros, but not yet into Debian 'stable'
This is the reason you are getting 'errors' in stable. As neither FF-5 or it's various dependencies are in stable yet.

It might be available for the 'stable' repros through the Squeeze-backports for stable , otherwise 'testing' or 'unstable' it is.

I downloaded Firefox-5.0 from the Mozilla website and compiled it myself, a few weeks back.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

I am running LMDE with squeeze repos since 6.0 went final, and the Firefox 5 update that came through this morning runs fine. Maybe the OP has installed something with conflicting dependencies?
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
darethehair
Level 4
Level 4

Post by darethehair »

This is what I did today rather than wait...

http://www.johannes-eva.net/how-to-inst ... untu-linux
There is nothing more dangerous than a bored cat.
decalguy

Post by decalguy »

vrkalak wrote:Firefox-5.0 has been officially released as stable by Mozila.

Firefox-5 has made it into the Debian 'testing' repros, but not yet into Debian 'stable'
This is the reason you are getting 'errors' in stable. As neither FF-5 or it's various dependencies are in stable yet.

It might be available for the 'stable' repros through the Squeeze-backports for stable , otherwise 'testing' or 'unstable' it is.

I downloaded Firefox-5.0 from the Mozilla website and compiled it myself, a few weeks back.

This update to firefox 5 came through the Mint Update, updating my firefox 4.0.1 which was working after the update I get the above error when typing firefox into terminal. I have all my repositories set to "stable" so I would not have this probelm so often.

I only had 1 addon installed and that was Ad Block Plus which from Googling it seems to be working for firefox 5.
decalguy

Post by decalguy »

tdockery97 wrote:I am running LMDE with squeeze repos since 6.0 went final, and the Firefox 5 update that came through this morning runs fine. Maybe the OP has installed something with conflicting dependencies?

I haven't installed much since installing gnome games and tvtime and awn dock would there be a way to check?
lmdeman

Post by lmdeman »

I suspect that the Firefox5 installed from linuxmint repos has been compiled with gcc4.6 (the version currently shipped with "testing") but squeeze has gcc4.4 installed. You might try to install gcc4.6 from testing, but this could break things even more. If I had time, I'd try it after a Clonezilla backup. Somebody else did it already?
lmdeman

Post by lmdeman »

OK I tried the following instead:
1) Uninstalled Firefox 5 using Synaptics
2) Opened Epiphany and went to http://mozilla.debian.net/
3) Selected "Stable (Squeeze)" "Iceweasel" "5.0" on the three selectors
4) Copied the line that looked like "deb http://mozilla.debian.net/ squeeze-backports iceweasel-5.0" and pasted as root into /etc/apt/sources.list
5) Updated Synaptics and installed Iceweasel (Iceweasel is the Debian-branded Firefox.)
No problems so far.
Cliff
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Cliff »

I'm running (LMDE - locked to) Squeeze Stable.
I had the same exact problem, update to FireFox 5 and It didn't work.
I uninstalled FF 5.0 and updated Iceweasel from the repositories.
When I click Help-> About Iceweasel, I get the following.

"Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.1.16)
Gecko/20110430 Linux Mint/1 (Debian)
Iceweasel/3.5.16 (like Firefox/3.5.16)"

My addons & extentions work as before -Adblock, Tor Button, Download Helper, NoScript, Ghostery & World IP.

I'm happy with this as Mozilla isn't going to stay with FF 5.0 for long anyway before going to FF 6.0.

There's progress for Ya!

Cliff
debian_bugsbunny

Post by debian_bugsbunny »

Cliff wrote:I'm running (LMDE - locked to) Squeeze Stable.
I had the same exact problem, update to FireFox 5 and It didn't work.
I uninstalled FF 5.0 and updated Iceweasel from the repositories.
When I click Help-> About Iceweasel, I get the following.

"Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.1.16)
Gecko/20110430 Linux Mint/1 (Debian)
Iceweasel/3.5.16 (like Firefox/3.5.16)"

My addons & extentions work as before -Adblock, Tor Button, Download Helper, NoScript, Ghostery & World IP.

I'm happy with this as Mozilla isn't going to stay with FF 5.0 for long anyway before going to FF 6.0.

There's progress for Ya!

Cliff
If you rather run iceweasel 5 (or 6 etc) see Debian Mozilla team APT archive
That site will give you the necessary repo entries if you're running either locked to squeeze, or wheezy (testing) (or any other Debian flavor) for pretty much any version of iceweasel available. Current versions available are: 3.5, 3.6, 5.0, 6.0, aurora, beta (4 is available, but it's in the normal Debian experimental archive)
Arlos70

Post by Arlos70 »

Ran into this problem last weekend. One machine was a fresh install, immediate conversion to stable (rather than Squeeze), then updated, no Firefox. Another machine I've been running for couple months immediately converted to stable after installation also now has this problem. Going to Mozilla's site above for stable (Squeeze), Iceweasel, version given in pull down box are: 3.0, 3.5, 3.6, release, beta, aurora. I do not see 5.0, or 6.0.
middling

Post by middling »

Arlos70 wrote:Going to Mozilla's site above for stable (Squeeze), Iceweasel, version given in pull down box are: 3.0, 3.5, 3.6, release, beta, aurora. I do not see 5.0, or 6.0.
It's a Debian site, not Mozilla. I noticed this too yesterday. They've changed the options a bit.

The one you want is "release" which is the current stable release. The files of the old 5.0 and the new release are exactly the same, it just means you wont have to do anything when 6.0 is the official stable release, you'll be upgraded automatically.

If you want to stick with 5.0 then use

Code: Select all

deb http://mozilla.debian.net/ squeeze-backports iceweasel-5.0
, it'll still work.

Still no sign of Icedove 5.0 though. :(
livram79

Post by livram79 »

Debian Squeeze repos are less and less compatible with Mint repo because the packages in mint repo are based on Testing.
For this reason I posted this thread http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=79665
Use IceWeasel instead of Firefox 5. IceWeasel is 100% compatible with Firefox because it is based on it.

Return to “LMDE Archive”