Distrowatch.com

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Distrowatch.com

Post by scorp123 »

manishk wrote:How does distrowatch rank the distros?? I mean, what are the criteria??
http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?stor ... 1043418436
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

distrowatch is a great measurement tool though. Another one is Google Trends (http://www.google.com/trends) the first one measures the popularity of each distribution's distrowatch page on the distrowatch.com website... (and nerds do go to that website a lot), the latter measures the amount of searches made on the distributions by people using google (and people do use google a lot).

At the moment Linux Mint is not yet very well known by the public. There has been very good feedback on it though and I can see it growing in popularity everyday. It's more an underground (word of mouth) growth though than a trend.. in fact the media still consider us a non-event and we do not get much media coverage.

We're #23 on distrowatch and that probably reflects where we really are at the moment.

It's a nice and comfortable position though. Our community is already quite important and we don't have the pressure big distributions have. You can appreciate how fast we're improving things and how easy it is for me to get feedback and talk to people on the forums. When Bianca gets released there's a possibility we catch more attention and if the media start focusing on us then things will change a lot, so we'll have to adapt to that as well.

Ah.. well, we'll see how it goes anyway :)

Clem
AlsaPhil

Post by AlsaPhil »

Clem, important is the real ambition you have :)
I can imagine how proud you are to federate so many people - all over the world- with your ideas and with your job, probably with your passion :)
And you created with your good taste a very collegial forum... And that is fantastic for all of us :lol:
For non computer engineer it is important to be considered and listened... What would become development without users?
Thanks for this :wink:

Return to “Open Chat”