Mint rocks!

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
scuubadoo

Mint rocks!

Post by scuubadoo »

Hi folks,

I don't usually tend to introduce myself when registering on a forum, but I thought I'd be polite and go for it this time. I've been lurking on the Linux Mint boards for over half a year now, but was finally persuaded to register by this topic:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=75491

I assume there are quite a few guys out there using Linux Mint every day who never register as users on the board, and if users really believe the size of the forum shows the size of the total Linux Mint user base, well, I'm happy to register, too. Besides, I might have queries of my own etc in the future. :wink:

A little bit about how I use Mint:

I run a business, and exclusively run Linux Mint 10 (64-bit and 32-bit) on two of the official company desktops. Previously I used PCLinuxOS (PCLOS) which is also a fine distribution, but I find Linux Mint to be an even better tool in our case. Just my two cents worth.

My girlfriend also runs Linux Mint Debian XFCE as her sole OS on her laptop. (I also run the excellent and super-fast AntiX distro on an old laptop of mine [which I have heavily modified by removing MEPIS, Debianizing and running the SID repos] and a minimal installation of Debian Testing with IceWM on a third laptop. They're very nice, but nowhere near as simple to run as Mint and obviously not as complete. They run fast on older and trickier hardware, though). 8)

Having used and still using various distributions of GNU Linux with very varying DE's, it is my opinion that Linux Mint is a complete replacement for any major, paid-for OS that you might care for provided that you have the hardware necessary to run it. Runs perfectly straight out of the box. I'm still a relative Linux numpty and this is important to me. And to anyone using the company desktops, because they don't have the time to learn the command line to do useful work, it has to be a Windows 7-killer straight away ...

Anyway, only my opinion but I'm extremely happy with Mint and congratulate Clem and his team for their great work! :D

K.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
BuyerBrown

Re: Mint rocks!

Post by BuyerBrown »

Hello Nice to meet you - I see you used PCLinuxos - I would like ask, what about Linux Mint did you find to be even better?
Did you use to run Windows or Mac for your business, or has it always been Linux? if so what made you change?
Last edited by BuyerBrown on Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
The-Wizard

Post by The-Wizard »

Welcome to the Mint family forums

wizard
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

Welcome to the Linux Mint Forums scuubadoo!

Cheers.
scuubadoo

Post by scuubadoo »

BuyerBrown wrote:I see you used PCLinuxos - I would like ask, what about Linux Mint did you find to be even better?
Well, I know the PCLOS boys won't like this (there was a huge rumpus in their own forum a few months ago after a review by some fella on another web site where he made much the same points as I am making here) but Linux Mint is much more of an organic whole. It really is very nicely put together, with excellent and very professional branding and a superb, can't miss-installation process. The look, the feel ... It could easily be a fully paid-for OS!

PCLOS is a great, great community effort, and the distro is as fast as KDE can be, up-to-date and stable, Texstar is a genius and the PCLOS forum is full of extremely knowledgeable and helpful people but PCLOS doesn't really have the same unified esthetic vision as Linux Mint. Sorry!

This might not matter that much to many people in the Linux world, I know, but if you really are trying to be a substitute for Snow Leopard or Windows 7, i.e. for the non-Linux folks who want a modern, very easy but powerful OS, the Linux Mint way is the way to go. Nobody has ever been scared of using our company desktops which is saying something around here where I live. I know a company here where the staff now are on another, very big Linux distribution, and they really refuse to use it and want to get back to their trusted, slow, buggy, pirated copies of Windows ...

Speedwise and functionwise, PCLOS and Linux Mint are on a par, except that I much prefer GNOME to KDE, and PCLOS is primarily a KDE distribution. (Yes, you can choose GNOME, XFCE, LXDE, OpenBox, Enlightenment and others with PCLOS, too, in fact an almost unrivalled selection of DE's and Window Managers, but these do not constitute the main distribution, and the support available on the forums once you leave PCLOS KDE is not quite at the same detailed level, although it's still knowledgeable and friendly. And the unified vision is still not there, with all due respect.)

This is why I switched over to Linux Mint for work.
BuyerBrown wrote:Did you use to run Windows or Mac for your business, or has it always been Linux? if so what made you change?
I've used various versions of MacOS for many years when working elsewhere, and I've used everything from OS/2 to Win 3.11 to Win95 to XP to Win 7 in my private life until about 18 months ago. For my own business right now, Windows XP was used prior to my taking over. I strongly suspect that we're not talking about fully legit copies as is so common in many small businesses around the world so when I took over I moved everything over to Linux on principle. Bona fide, legit, much, much faster and much more stable. Goodbye viruses and malware. I haven't used Windows myself for over 18 months now ... *group hug* :wink:
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Hello scuubadoo,
Welcome to Mint Forum :P
There is a lot of useful information for new and not-so-new users here -> http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 58#p302355
We have a Community site http://community.linuxmint.com/
For real-time help and discussion there are IRC channels,open MintMenu>Internet>XChat and you will be automatically connected to #linuxmint-help and #linuxmint-chat
Have fun with Mint
BuyerBrown

Post by BuyerBrown »

Thank You for sharing, :) I always wounder about peoples reasoning for doing things - (Not in a bad way) I just like knowing the back stories, LOL makes people more 3 dimensional to me
Plus I'm using Linux Mint to Learn More about Linux with - its Nice to feel like i made a good pick - At first i was using Ubuntu and its cool but when i came across Linux Mint it felt cooler lol cool as mint :)

Return to “Introduce Yourself”