Install on USB Flash Drive and Persistant

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
khai
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Install on USB Flash Drive

Post by khai »

iTaO wrote:problem solved :wink: , if someone want to know how, let me know...
could you tell me how?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 900i »

iTaO wrote:Works for me:

Must have:

- Windows Xp or Vista ( :( )
Thats a joke, surely!
Desktop Core i7 Linux Mint 21.1 / Laptop Dell Precision M6400 Linux Mint 21.1
khai
Level 1
Level 1

Post by khai »

thank you iTaO, it really worked.

i'm just wondering, that when i run Mint in persistent mode booting takes muuuuuch longer than "live" and the system is much less responsive than normal live cd.
is it ok?
can it have something to do with a fact that i reduced mint's live partition to 715mb (instead of 750)?
Last edited by khai on Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
stochastic

Post by stochastic »

iTaO wrote:You can try to boot in Ram Mode. "Toram" or other, next reduce FAT32 Part with GParted in su ( sudo su ), you must unmount part first. if unmount failed, "toram" boot option failed ; :wink:

If Mint Developer could try (modify too) & accept that tutorial, i think many people want to use this :wink:

For me boot time in live USB mode is much longer too than live CD, but it really depend your USB Flash Drive Specs. Try for exemple with Corsair Voyager GT, it's an other thing ! :mrgreen:
The persistent USB recipes floating around the web are bogus, and will not provide a usable system over time (including this message thread). It will work a few times, and then you will have a corrupt image. Although there is an amazing number of disk writes and tmp files generated (I've monitored disk access to the key), my memory key does not seem to be corrupted by my experiments (I hope) - but the casper image will always fail to boot after a few days. I've tried the pendrivelinux recipes too, which are all one offs of the same technique everyone else is using just applied to many different distributions (but explained and automated through scripts to make it easy) .

The problem is they are all based on the same flawed method - casper r/w

ask yourself why you need this if you are not running off a small 700 MB CD...

The only viable options I've found are at:
http://wiki.flimzy.com/index.php/Debian_on_USB
http://feraga.com/

I won't reccomend one or the other, but both sites offer methods far superior to the casper nonsense everyone is using

Return to “Installation & Boot”