Banshee File Conversion solved

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rcdeacon
Level 3
Level 3

Banshee File Conversion solved

Post by rcdeacon »

I am in the process of dumping I-tunes as my music manager for my Ipod Nano 2nd gen ipod. I did a "restore" in I-tunes in order to wipe the ipod and then I booted into Mint and am using Banshee as my sole music manager. Currently Banshee is converting the files in my music directory to .ogg files but I don't know what format they are supposed to be in. Can someone clue me in?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Banshee File Conversion

Post by Husse »

They are supposed to be in what ever you want and can use. Ogg is much better and smaller than mp3 and it is possible to use it in an Ipod. I think there are instructions even in this forum, just search for ogg + Ipod, else google it
Banshee can make mp3 files too if you want, check the settings
rcdeacon
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rcdeacon »

Thank you for the reply. The first attempt to sync my ipod failed and I'm not sure why other than it said there was not enough room on the ipod. The ipod is empty and it is a 4g and there is nowhere near that amount of music. I know it i-tunes it converts the files but I don't know to what. Still trying to avoid i-tunes if at all possible.

EDIT: Things are NOT going well at all with this project. It seems that I need to convert ogg files (that is what Banshee ripped them as) into AAC files. I am not sure how to do this or if it can be done.
rcdeacon
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rcdeacon »

Sorry to have to post again but this should not be this hard. I cannot find out how to rip my cd's into a format that the ipod can use. Apparently you need gstreamer that will convert to aac. So far I have only been able to rip ogg files and I could not find suitable information that would instruct me as to how these can be used on my Nano 2nd gen ipod. Can anyone using an ipod help me here. I have already blitzed my ipod and it is clean just waiting for music. Thanks for the help.
rcdeacon
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rcdeacon »

Final post. I resolved the issue. I downloaded other gstreamer plugins and can now rip into mp3's which Banshee syncs onto my ipod easily. Took some time but I figured it out. Thanks for all the views and the help.

Return to “Sound”