Special Section for LTS Isadora???

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
frodopogo

Special Section for LTS Isadora???

Post by frodopogo »

Is there a special section for the LTS distribution (currently Isadora)?
If so, could someone point me to it?
If not, there should be.

Some of us are VERY attracted to the whole concept of Mint, EXCEPT this sixth month product cycle seems totally insane. (and yes I understand it's inherited from Ubuntu!)
The LTS distros are much more appealing this way. It gives you some time to settle into a version and do some work with it, instead of spending so much energy learning new stuff that may likely be tossed out 6 months down the road.

BUT... here's the deal... the LTS is promised Long Term Support- but where is it???
How do we get it?
The problem is that within 6 months, the LTS distro is "old hat", and gets buried under all the stuff in the forums about the newer distro,
and LTS users are forced to look for "a needle in a haystack".
But maybe the reason we're LTS users is because we are not, and have no desire to be Linux power users.
A special section for the current LTS sure would be nice- much more user friendly for neophyte Linux users.
(I get the impression that many of the people that are always jumping on the new versions are a little more familiar with Linux in general and less likely to be recent converts from Windows).

Thanks in advance for any responses,
and if I'm missing something obvious, my apologies!

Michael
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
technoferret

Re: Special Section for LTS Isadora???

Post by technoferret »

What a good idea.
Terryphi
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Terryphi »

+1. Excellent idea.
Version: LM 21.3 64bit Mate "If something is worth doing, it is worth doing for free."
Elisa

Post by Elisa »

I'm not sure why a special section - simply ask and you will be answered ;)
itsme4401

Post by itsme4401 »

I am an Isadora-user myself. I don't think this is a good idea.
Reason: How am I to know the problem(s) I encounter are caused by:
1. My machine, its hardware and/or software;
2. A general Mint-problem;
3. A specific and widely encountered Isadora-problem?
For those are the criteria on which I have to choose a sub-forum. I bet I'll choose the wrong one 99/100 times.
Poor administrators!!
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

I like this idea. I'd like to see a LTS sub-forum at the Ubuntu forums as well.
Garvan
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Garvan »

I you confine your posts to a LTS section, you might miss out attracting the attention of experienced former Isadora users who have moved on to the latest release. I am just not sure it will work.

Garvan
Notebook: DELL Latitude E5520, i5-2520M @ 2.50 GHz, 4GB RAM, Linux Mint 17.2 (2011)
Notebook: DELL Latitude 5280, i5-73000 @ 2.7 GHz., 16 GB RAM, Linux Mint 19.2 (2019)
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

Garvan wrote:I you confine your posts to a LTS section, you might miss out attracting the attention of experienced former Isadora users who have moved on to the latest release.
Maybe. But do most people only look around in one area? When I come to the Mint forums, I go directly to "view active topics." Threads from every sub-forum appear in there, so if there was something from a LTS section, it wouldn't be missed.

Or, to turn it around, it's like saying there shouldn't be a KDE section because you might miss out attracting the attention of experienced former Mint KDE users who have moved on to LMDE.
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

MALsPa wrote:
Garvan wrote:I you confine your posts to a LTS section, you might miss out attracting the attention of experienced former Isadora users who have moved on to the latest release.
Maybe. But do most people only look around in one area? When I come to the Mint forums, I go directly to "view active topics." Threads from every sub-forum appear in there, so if there was something from a LTS section, it wouldn't be missed.

Or, to turn it around, it's like saying there shouldn't be a KDE section because you might miss out attracting the attention of experienced former Mint KDE users who have moved on to LMDE.
When I was reading your original post your suggestion seemed like a good idea... then I gave it some thought and now I'm not so sure... Allow me to explain...

I too am a fan of LTS editions - I love the stability. Stability is important for me as I am using Mint 9 on my computer at work. I have to use my computer to get stuff done and don't have time to be playing with temperamental OSs. I think of the versions between the LTS editions as betas! :lol: I am looking forward to the next LTS (LM13 - Melinda(?), Maria(?), Marcia(?), Melissa(?), Martha(?), Monica(?), Mia(?)). I agree that it would be nice to have a sub-forum for LTS editions to exchange info among users of the 2 current LTS editions... but if you post in the LTS forum, you can't expect to get the traffic as in one of the currently available forums... if you create an LTS forum, you will create another forum for the folks who would help you to read - it's almost like creating a burden on the folks that you want to help you... I don't think that a LTS forum will be effective at lending "support" and anyone posting in the LTS forum and not getting a solution will be forced to post the same thing in one of the forums that now exist here... double posting isn't advantageous to anyone...

It's funny... I have been reading this forum (off & on) over the last 2 years... When I was reading your last post and saw you mention "view active topics" I thought 2 things - 1) there is a "view active topics" button here??? (I never looked or noticed it before today) and 2) Why would you do that??? If "active topics" are active topics from all sub-forums, the display would amount to info-glut on a widely varied collection of topics and, for me, not be very useful... I guess what I am saying here is that the way that I use these forums is very different that the way you do... I don't think that either of us is right or wrong, we're just different... for folks that use these forums like I do, creating a LTS sub-forum creates another sub-forum to read... for folks that use the forums the way you do, they might not notice the new sub-forum... but if you title your post accurately (when looking for help), the folks that would help and use the forums the way that you do will find them no matter where you post them...

I like the idea of an LTS sub-forum but not for troubleshooting advice as much as for a place for like minded users of a sub-flavor of Mint to exchange ideas, information, tips, recommendations, etc... :D
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image
Robin

Post by Robin »

Is this a poll? Can we vote? :D I vote YES, a li'l sub-forum for folks who stick with the LTS versions would fit nicely in the same section where you find the other editions; KDE, Xfce, etc. When I finally get a new 'puter (instead of using borrowed Windows boxes when I can find internet access somewhere), I will stick to the LTS releases, and likely use them to EOL before upgrading to the next LTS. Now with Mint Xfce being Debian-based instead of Xubuntu-based, I'll pro'lly be using Xubuntu LTS releases after Mint 9 reaches EOL. Debian and me just didn't get along well... and Xubuntu is so lean and fast now (they finally listened!), it's an easy "Debian done right" out-of-the-box distro for kids like me who value simplicity as well as stability.
Elisa

Post by Elisa »

Robin wrote:...as well as stability.
:shock:
:lol: :lol:
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

Reorx wrote:It's funny... I have been reading this forum (off & on) over the last 2 years... When I was reading your last post and saw you mention "view active topics" I thought 2 things - 1) there is a "view active topics" button here??? (I never looked or noticed it before today) and 2) Why would you do that??? If "active topics" are active topics from all sub-forums, the display would amount to info-glut on a widely varied collection of topics and, for me, not be very useful... I guess what I am saying here is that the way that I use these forums is very different that the way you do... I don't think that either of us is right or wrong, we're just different... for folks that use these forums like I do, creating a LTS sub-forum creates another sub-forum to read... for folks that use the forums the way you do, they might not notice the new sub-forum... but if you title your post accurately (when looking for help), the folks that would help and use the forums the way that you do will find them no matter where you post them...
Yeah, interesting. I pretty much use the same approach at every Linux forum I go to. At the Ubuntu and Fedora forums, for example, if I'm not logged in I click on "Today's Posts."

Why would I do that? To see what people are talking about, regardless of which sub-forum or section they're posting in. For me, it isn't an "info-glut" at all. Those "view active topics" and "today's posts" options are common at Linux forums, so I'm sure lots of other people use them, too. You'll notice that if you're using "view active topics," the section that the thread is posted in is clearly shown. For this one, it says "in Non-technical Questions."

But, again, if I post a question in the "KDE" section, and there's a person who has the answer but that person is a former KDE user who now only browses the "LMDE (Linux Mint Debian)" section, then I won't get that person's help, right? Unless that person happens to be like me and uses "view active topics." That's really no different than a similar scenario if there was a "LTS" section. So I don't think that's a good reason NOT to have a "LTS" section, or a "KDE" section or a "LMDE" section or a "XFCE" section or whatever.

There are people who only use LTS versions just like there are people who only use LMDE or KDE or Xfce versions -- why not accommodate the LTS users, too?

It doesn't really matter, but I think it would be nice to have.
frodopogo

Post by frodopogo »

Wow, I wasn't expecting THIS many responses!
Thanks all! (including negatives- yes, some things to think about!)

To clarify:
This is what goes on when I have an issue with Isadora.
For instance, my mouse pointer WAS disappearing sporadically.
(an update may have fixed it- it hasn't happened since the update, but we'll see...)
I wanted to ask about it.
But there's the warning to post in the right forum....
but WHICH ONE????
With the plethora of other editions, it makes it confusing to know just where the right place to post a question IS.
An LTS section would make it a little easier to get that at least halfway right.
I'm sure I would have posted the mouse pointer question by now if I had the option of going to an LTS forum section.
And I suspect other Linux neophytes might also be sitting on their hands putting up with problems since it's not obvious
where they should post... and that may worsen their Linux Mint experience, and incline them to jumping ship when it's really not necessary.
BTW, my join date is 2009- that doesn't look like I'm such a neophyte, but I started with Elyssa (also an LTS), and actually had very few problems,
so I've really only spent much time on the forum since upgrading to Isadora. And I haven't exactly had tons of Isadora problems- just the mouse pointer problem and problems getting a full screen on a Toshiba laptop which has since died. Oh yeah... I did have a GRUB issue at Isadora's installation because I have Mint on a second hard disk instead of another partition of the same disk- but I guessed right on that one (went into the bios to make sure both HDDs were selected)

Yes, having an LTS section in the same place where all the other editions have theirs seems very
parallel, fair, and logical. Among other things, I would bookmark that section- bookmarking is how I get to
most of my other favorite pages on other sites. Some possible loss of input from former Isadora (or whichever LTS is current) users
I think would be offset by the sheer number of active LTS users... I think I saw something like a quarter of the main edition users
use the LTS, which is probably means there are more LTS users that the KDE or xfce editions

Also, since LTS in effect promises long term support, having a section dedicated to part of that support would
probably increase interest in the LTS edition.... it would make us LTS users FEEL more supported... yeah, that's psychology,
but I think it's good psychology.
I suspect that at least some former LTS Isadora users that are prone to being helpful might also scan that section
if they knew their knowledge could be put to good use.
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

MALsPa wrote:...There are people who only use LTS versions just like there are people who only use LMDE or KDE or Xfce versions -- why not accommodate the LTS users, too?

It doesn't really matter, but I think it would be nice to have.
I agree! :D
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image

Return to “Non-technical Questions”