28th June updates have upset the system (Solved)

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Ralf1e

28th June updates have upset the system (Solved)

Post by Ralf1e »

Hello all, Today I updated through mint update which put a lot of packages on including the Vdpau-Driver for graphics. It also seems to has removed the Nvidia 173 driver or done something with it.
After the updates I have a black screen after start up and I have a system that can not recognise a camera it has been working with every day.
The only way I could get into the system was to use a previous kernel shown in the grub menu.
Does anyone else have this problem and is there a cure for the damage the updates have done.
Help!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Gerd50

Re: 28th June updates have upset the system

Post by Gerd50 »

Hello Ralf,

i think, what after that update you are missing is the package 'linux-headers-2.6-686-pae' if you are using a 32bit system.
Boot the previous kernel, install the package and run

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
in the terminal.
Ralf1e

Re: 28th June updates have upset the system (solved)

Post by Ralf1e »

Gerd50 wrote:Hello Ralf,

i think, what after that update you are missing is the package 'linux-headers-2.6-686-pae' if you are using a 32bit system.
Boot the previous kernel, install the package and run

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
in the terminal.
Hello Gerd50,
I had already tried the 'linux-headers-2.6-686-pae' and had no success so I had to do a complete install from scratch and then do the upgrades I had already tried the terminal upgrade with no success so ended up re-installing from disk then doing the terminal upgrades and even after that the mint upgrade put over 700 packages on. I give up trying to understand it all, but it is now working and I have a screen to look at and I have at last found the answer to the camera problem as well by changing the downloader and listing the camera model in the files.
I also found out that shotwell can rename the files to lowercase as it imports them which answers another problem.
Thank's for the reply I shall now mark this as solved

Return to “LMDE Archive”