Firefox 5 won't start.

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
verden

Firefox 5 won't start.

Post by verden »

I installed updates to LMDE and now Firefox which was upgraded to version 5 won't start, any ideas?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
grizzler

Re: Firefox 5 won't start.

Post by grizzler »

Any errors reported if you start Firefox from a terminal?
verden

Post by verden »

This is the error message when starting from a terminal

firefox
/opt/firefox/firefox-bin: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.15' not found (required by /opt/firefox/libxul.so)
lmintnewb

Post by lmintnewb »

Only thing that comes to mind. Not being a lmde user. Assuming lmde has synaptic as the package manager or another that allows it. Mark FF for reinstallation there and see if that sorts the problem out. And/or search for GLIBCXX_3.4.15 in the package manager and try installing it ? Might have some potential too.
verden

Post by verden »

Reinstall of ff makes no difference and GLIBCXX_3.4.15 isn't in the repos either.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

How about libstdc++6?
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

I can see there's something wrong in the way we packaged Firefox. It was built properly for both 32-bit and 64-bit and then packaged separately but the package doesn't advertise its dependencies. A quick workaround for this is to perform an "apt show iceweasel", to look at its list of dependencies and to install these packages. Packaging Firefox is a bit of a challenge (and it takes ages to build too), it takes more or less a full day.. but the more we do it the better we get at doing it. The next versions will have this problem fixed, as well as better cairo fonts.
lmintnewb

Post by lmintnewb »

Yikes !!!

You realize Clem = Clement, the main guy behind LM. Is nice when ya see him actually taking time to help folks sort out issues they have with Mint.
verden

Post by verden »

Hi Clem libstdc++6 is installed.
When i issue the command apt show iceweasel i get
$ apt show iceweasel
Package: iceweasel
New: yes
State: not installed
Version: 3.5.16-7
Priority: optional
Section: web
Maintainer: Maintainers of Mozilla-related packages <pkg-mozilla-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org>
Uncompressed Size: 4,071 k
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.6-6~), libgcc1 (>= 1:4.1.1), libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.16.0),
libgtk2.0-0 (>= 2.10), libnspr4-0d (>= 1.8.0.10), libstdc++6 (>=
4.1.1), fontconfig, procps, debianutils (>= 1.16), xulrunner-1.9.1 (>=
1.9.1.16)
Suggests: ttf-lyx | latex-xft-fonts, xfonts-mathml, ttf-mathematica4.1, xprint,
mozplugger, libgssapi-krb5-2 | libkrb53

Iceweasel 5 is not in the repo only ver 3.5.16-7as shown above and all the dependencies are installed
lmintnewb

Post by lmintnewb »

Hmmmm, sounds like they know there's an issue going on with FF 5. Might have to fall back on using another browser for a bit while they sort it out ? Or what about adding mozilla's ppa's and doing it that way ? Can't swear it'll work fantastically. Did with Mint 10, when I upgraded it to FF 4.01. I mean didn't seem to have any adverse effects. FF 5 is latest stable and don't see why it wouldn't be available through mozilla.

Just a thought, I take no responsibility for breakage, borkage, stress, headaches or problems anything I type ... EVER! may cause people. In fact it's a personal policy to never take responsibility period if it can at all be avoided or blamed on summin else. Summin breaks, you shouldn't have listened to me ... it's that simple.

:D
verden

Post by verden »

Thanks for the help everyone, i'm using Opera atm and will wait for a fix or FF6 to become available.
lmintnewb

Post by lmintnewb »

http://cinderbox.net/2011/06/25/how-to- ... in-ubuntu/

Just looked semi related. With ubuntu being so much of Debian and Mint being so much of buntu. Don't see why it wouldn't work well enough. Though ye have been warned of poss borkage !!! And of my determination to take no responsibility therefor !!!!

:D

PS, OP for real not a bad solution ( going with a standby for a bit ). Always thought of things like this as one of nixes real weaknesses. People get excited when a latest browser gets released and want it quick, quick. While with many a distro it seems to take quite awhile for those new versions to filter down, shrugs. Afterthought edit: Packaging those new browsers should be on the top of nix devs 2 do list if they really wanna please their users. One of the things nix comes up sucking hind teat on compared to M$ it seems.

Have summin Debian, I'm really tempted to try this with myself. Though try to be content with what's available in repos usually. I mean most browsers will work well enough. Even if it isn't the latest version. Still all pretty much do what a web browser does. Have FF 5 in Windows XP and have earlier FF versions, variations or forks of FF and they seem to run just about as fast as mozilla's latest under nix anyway, relatively speaking. Oh well ...

Didn't work ... no FF 5 for me either, lol. But at least nothing got borked. :D
slider
Level 5
Level 5

Post by slider »

by lmintnewb on Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:25 am
Always thought of things like this as one of nixes real weaknesses. Packaging those new browsers should be on the top of nix devs 2 do list if they really wanna please their users. One of the things nix comes up sucking hind teat on compared to M$ it seems.
With all due respect, this couldn't be further from the truth! :)

For users who are not afraid to learn to get their hands a little dirty installing the version that you want is very easily done, in fact it is not much more work than changing PPA's,sources.list, etc is when compared! There is nothing new about this with Linux and should be distro-independent. Allows the user to choose what version they want to use; side by side installs with other versions; no tampering required to the users packaging/update system; same security of downloads like from repo's, but from Mozilla using checksums; updates directly from Mozilla; can be removed easily without much work if needed; etc....

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=75498
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=75597

S :)

This message was posted with Firefox Version 7.0a1 Nightly-Current

PS: Mozilla Tester- FFv2, FFv3, FFv4, FFv5, FFv7. Anyone interested can help us test and make Firefox better and here. :wink:
"In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds the timid join him for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."
Mark Twain
lmintnewb

Post by lmintnewb »

Have successfully done the ppa update route with good results. That last one used the wrong syntax and just decided, forget it. Leave it alone, rarely boot that distro anyway. Has iceape 2.summin on it. Right now it's mainly acting like a 12gb bootloader, lol. Could've finished it out. Just wasn't worth the effort.

Actually agree with you. Does give someone a motivation to learn more about the OS they're using. That can be a lot to chew though, things aren't the same distro to distro ... DE's/WM's, package managers ... terminal commands etc. So when someone just has one. It makes things mucho easier on them. When you have Debian rolling, slackware based, independently deved ... etc and so on. Gets a bit more challenging so stay on top of it.

Still sticking by what I posted too. With Windows, it's all done for users. There are few if anything they have to do. Click the check for updates, leave it to automatically update or notify etc and ... done. Have had success getting FF direct from mozilla. Also had scrapes, recently had to rollback a distro to 3.6.15 from FF 4.01 cause clicked the update button and FF started getting buggy. So reinstalled via package manager back to the older version to fix things.

Was speaking from what I'd think would be the common attitude. Majority of people want simple point and click .... all gui, end of story. Many won't spend much time messing with something if it's takes all that much effort to deal with. At least based on 4,000yrs + of human history they won't anyway, lol.

You however are a FF/nix guru. One day possibly I'll have learned enough to handle most things nix. Until then ... there's google and trying to use common sense to guide da way. :D I'm actually not one of those who feels the need to instantly have the latest version of something. As long as what's available is doing the job well enough and gets the job done without blowing my old dinosaur up. All that really matters to me.
slider
Level 5
Level 5

Post by slider »

@ lmintnewb

Have successfully done the ppa update route with good results.
Great! Installing manually should be a snap for you then.
Does give someone a motivation to learn more about the OS they're using
This is why I take the time to post these things. We all need to grow and learn and most importantly, share what we have learned.
That can be a lot to chew though, things aren't the same distro to distro
Installing this way is usually distro-independent in almost every case.
Still sticking by what I posted too. With Windows, it's all done for users.
This is Linux. In an effort to be professional I will remain silent on anything about Microsoft. If I told you what I know from research.... Enough said.
Was speaking from what I'd think would be the common attitude. Majority of people want simple point and click .... all gui, end of story. Many won't spend much time messing with something if it's takes all that much effort to deal with. At least based on 4,000yrs + of human history they won't anyway, lol.
I believe that you are correct on this. I hope to motivate users to grow and learn. To become independent in their thinking. Reach beyond what is the norm and make their own path. This is what Linux is all about. How far you go with it is up to you.
One day possibly I'll have learned enough to handle most things nix.
Why not let today be that day? Also, everyone uses search engines regardless of their level. Yes, even Linus!
I'm actually not one of those who feels the need to instantly have the latest version of something. As long as what's available is doing the job well enough and gets the job done without blowing my old dinosaur up.
Neither am I and that is not what this is about. My main stable work system (because of how I have it set up/modified) is based on "Linux Mint 5 Elyssa KDE" running modified kernels, software, etc, although I do have some test partitions that I use as well, so it is obvious where I stand. :idea: This is mainly about giving users a choice if they want it, also someone that has a problem with their default install version (as in the OP's case)can try a different approach, but only if they know that they even have that opportunity to do so. At the same time some users may want to help make the software better by using a different test version, which helps everyone including you.

Bottom Line: If you can download a package > un-tar it > place it somewhere in a directory > either make a main menu entry for it or create a launcher, you can do this. This should be able to be done by all GUI and mouse clicking as well. Keeping the file path correct in the launch command is the most important thing to remember.

I challenge you to give it a try. I hope that you will!

Regards,
S :)

Edit:

In past posts I've failed to mention this (shame on me) so I thought that I would add the following, because we all love and should try to support Linux Mint when we can.

For those wondering about Mozilla versions not having the Mint Google search which helps support Mint, all that is needed is to make a tiny little hack.

Locate the "google.xml" file in the default (Mint) FF version install > copy it to the new version of FF that you are wanting to use in the "~/Firefox_version_name/searchplugins" directory (or appropriate) > rename the existing xml file to "google.xml~" > restart FF if it was open and try a Google search. You will now have a Minty Google search and provide much needed support to Linux Mint everytime that you do a search.
LMgooglesearch-FF7.png
Last edited by slider on Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds the timid join him for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."
Mark Twain
craigevil

Post by craigevil »

Do NOT I repeat Do NOT use Ubuntu PPAs on LMDE, LMDE is based on Debian and NOT Ubuntu.

Doing so is a good way to mess your system up.

Either download Firefox directly from Mozilla ( which is what I do, and have done since Debian changed the name)
or Use the mozilla.debian.net repo to install whichever version of Iceweasel you want.

Debian Mozilla team APT archive - http://mozilla.debian.net/

Posted using Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; rv:5.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/5.0 ID:20110615151330

Tech Patterns :: Switching from Debian Iceweasel to Firefox, permanently - http://techpatterns.com/forums/about1435.html

I use Firefox and Thunderbird, both downloaded from Mozilla, extracted, shortcut created and copied to /usr/share/applications so the exec shows up on both the KDE menu and the Quicklauncher.

(For me anyway) Firefox is the default browser in KDE, and Thunderbird the default mail client. Both work just fine for me even with a ton of extensions/themes/plugins and tweaks.

Personally I think it is silly for the devs to waste time on a browser, pick the DE default browser like rekonq/KDE or Epiphany/Gnome and be done with it, if people want Chrome or Firefox let them download it.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Very interesting situation here. Since February when Squeeze became final, I had reset my sources to Squeeze. The other day when FF5 was pushed through it wouldn't work for me either. I had been getting bored with Squeeze anyway, so I decided to reset my sources.list to Testing. What an experience! 900 updates. Well, since I wanted to keep my 2010.12 installation rather than wait for a new iso, I did the updates. It took 4 times running upgrade and dist-upgrade for everything to get installed with all the breakage being fixed as it went. But now I am completely up-to-date with an absolutely clean and smooth running apt with no broken packages.

What this is leading up to is that I now have a fully functional FF5, so something somewhere in those updates must have provided the needed dependencies. :D
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
Elisa

Post by Elisa »

craigevil wrote:Personally I think it is silly for the devs to waste time on a browser, pick the DE default browser like rekonq/KDE or Epiphany/Gnome and be done with it, if people want Chrome or Firefox let them download it.
Personally I think rekonq is much CPU/RAM sucker, epiphany a bit 'loser', konquerror - no big deal.
Therefore I do rather suggest to use Opera, Kazehakase (sometimes it closes without saying bye-bye :? ) or iceweasel. For reading news only, use CLI one - e.g. lynx2 :)
lmdeman

Post by lmdeman »

@ verden (OP)
if your LMDE is tied to debian stable/squeeze repositories rather than testing, you may read the following: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=75727.
CiaW

Post by CiaW »

per the debian mozilla link by craigevil above, here is what you want to put in the sources.list for Iceweasel 5. It shows for squeeze-backports, but that is the correct location in this case for Testing / wheezy also:

Code: Select all

deb http://mozilla.debian.net/ squeeze-backports iceweasel-5.0
I used it to update Iceweasel 3.6 to 5 yesterday on Debian testing xfce (not minty-fied...) and it pulled in a couple of other packages, such as xulrunner 3 -- but it did leave xulrunner 1.9 installed too, which is a good thing for packages that still need that version of xulrunner. hth.

Return to “LMDE Archive”