[SOLVED] HP DESKJET D2660 does not work despite HPLIP

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mintph

[SOLVED] HP DESKJET D2660 does not work despite HPLIP

Post by mintph »

Hi to all!

I must be doing something wrong because my printer, HP Deskjet D2660, has worked with every Linux Distro I have tried out-of-the-box except for LMDE XFCE which I have just installed. I have browsed the forums and found answers regarding the HPLIP http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/mo ... eries.html but yet it does not seem to work. I have already installed HPLIP via synaptic.

My printer gets recognized but when I do a test print page, nothing happens. I also entered LibreOffice Writer to type a page and nothing happens.

There are 2 drivers to choose from when I go to the printer's properties: hpijs and the hpcups. both don't work.

I just find it quite strange that it does not work with LMDE XFCE.

The package hplip-gui does not seem to be available on synaptic and I have tried to apt-get install hplip-gui and the package is not found.

I really want to get my printer to work.

Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mintph

Re: HP DESKJET D2660 does not work despite HPLIP

Post by mintph »

Is it possible that Linux Mint Debian Edition (Gnome) will get my HP Deskjet D2660 to work?

My printer works flawlessly in Ubuntu 11.04.

I just find it strange that it will not work using LMDE XFCE.
mintph

Post by mintph »

It is confirmed, my HP Deskjet D2660 does not work out-of-the-box.

The printer is recognized as an HP D2600 and uses its driver.

I need help on making this printer work.

Thank you.
SimonTS

Post by SimonTS »

I notice that you have, at least, been searching on the web so that's a good start. You stated that you have installed HPLIP from Synaptic - can you please confirm what version that is (I am running Mint 10 Gnome, so it may well be a different default version). The version in Synaptic is, almost certainly, not the most up-to-date. I had to install the latest from the HPLIP website in order to get my Dad's printer running, but it was a fairly easy process - if a little time consuming.
According to the HPLIP website, your printer requires a minimum of v3.9.6 to support the d2660.

Is the printer direct connected (USB or Parallel)? Or is it network connected?
mintph

Post by mintph »

Thank you for your reply.
According to the HPLIP website, your printer requires a minimum of v3.9.6 to support the d2660.
the version available for Debian Testing is 3.11.5-1 found here http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/hplip
Is the printer direct connected (USB or Parallel)? Or is it network connected?
it is directly connected via USB

how were you able to make your's run?
SimonTS

Post by SimonTS »

Mine is running on a network. I just ran the HPLIP from that web-page, then ran the 'Printers' application, added it by IP address and everything worked perfectly. It even scans across the network for me. Took about 1/2 the time that it took my Dad to install it natively on Windows 7, and it is more reliable.
I have looked at the HPLIP install instructions for Debian and they cover the same version as you have, so it may be worth uninstalling from the package manager and then following the instructions for Debian carefully to make sure it is done right.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

There's a program to configure hplip printers:

Code: Select all

sudo hp-setup
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
AdamS

Post by AdamS »

Installed a HP printer for a client on ultimate edition 2.9 aka ubuntu 10.10 for a client yesterday.

You really need to read threw all prompts when installing the updated drivers off there site.

Must have been 50 prompts to read threw and follow. Fail to follow them all to the T and your going to have missing dependences and support across the board.

Just download the hplips driver. Right click and enable executable. Now double click and select run, now follow VERY close. You will be prompted to make decisions many times. Follow close or your screwed and must start over.
mintph

Post by mintph »

sgo sgo # hp-setup

HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.11.5)
Printer/Fax Setup Utility ver. 9.0

Copyright (c) 2001-9 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, LP
This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.

warning: Qt/PyQt 4 initialization failed.
error: hp-setup requires GUI support (try running with --qt3). Also, try using interactive (-i) mode.
this is what happened when i tried hp-setup.

please note I am using Linux Mint Debian Edition (Gnome)
mintph

Post by mintph »

Gúrú Linux ríomhaire wrote:Installed a HP printer for a client on ultimate edition 2.9 aka ubuntu 10.10 for a client yesterday.

You really need to read threw all prompts when installing the updated drivers off there site.

Must have been 50 prompts to read threw and follow. Fail to follow them all to the T and your going to have missing dependences and support across the board.

Just download the hplips driver. Right click and enable executable. Now double click and select run, now follow VERY close. You will be prompted to make decisions many times. Follow close or your screwed and must start over.
this printer was working perfectly with Ubuntu 11.04 which I was using before moving to Linux Mint Debian Edition (Gnome). I am sure this printer will work with Linux Mint 11 but I prefer the rolling-release characteristics of LMDE.
mintph

Post by mintph »

SimonTS wrote:Mine is running on a network. I just ran the HPLIP from that web-page, then ran the 'Printers' application, added it by IP address and everything worked perfectly. It even scans across the network for me. Took about 1/2 the time that it took my Dad to install it natively on Windows 7, and it is more reliable.
I have looked at the HPLIP install instructions for Debian and they cover the same version as you have, so it may be worth uninstalling from the package manager and then following the instructions for Debian carefully to make sure it is done right.
could you kindly provide me the exact steps to download / run it on a network?

i downloaded the hplip file but noticed that it is a .run file and not a .deb file.
mintph

Post by mintph »

i found this and I am currently doing it.

http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/in ... index.html

i will post the results.
mintph

Post by mintph »

it still does not work.

something to do with lpadmin
slider
Level 5
Level 5

Post by slider »

mintph,
Run in terminal

groups Your_username
Check to see if you are in group lpadmin. The groups that you are in will be listed in the output.

When posting output please post the actual error and/or text, thanks.

S
"In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds the timid join him for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."
Mark Twain
SimonTS

Post by SimonTS »

Slider has got what I was about to post as I read through the catch-up on this thread. From the HPLIP install guide page;-

For normal users other than root add user name to "lp" and "lpadmin" group:
su -c "usermod -a -G lp,lpadmin $USER"
Restart your PC (or) Logout and Login.

If the user isn't listed as a member of 'lpadmin' then he won't be allowed access to the print system. From my system;-
$ groups
simon adm lp dialout cdrom plugdev lpadmin admin sambashare
$ groups simon
simon : simon adm lp dialout cdrom plugdev lpadmin admin sambashare

For you, if you need to add the user to lpadmin, it should be something like this (note that you need to use your username, not 'username';-
$ usermod -a -G lpadmin username
mintph

Post by mintph »

slider wrote:mintph,
Run in terminal

groups Your_username
Check to see if you are in group lpadmin. The groups that you are in will be listed in the output.

When posting output please post the actual error and/or text, thanks.

S

sgo@sgo ~ $ groups sgo
sgo : sgo sudo
sgo@sgo ~ $ 
that is all that happend
mintph

Post by mintph »

SimonTS wrote:Slider has got what I was about to post as I read through the catch-up on this thread. From the HPLIP install guide page;-

For normal users other than root add user name to "lp" and "lpadmin" group:
su -c "usermod -a -G lp,lpadmin $USER"
Restart your PC (or) Logout and Login.

If the user isn't listed as a member of 'lpadmin' then he won't be allowed access to the print system. From my system;-
$ groups
simon adm lp dialout cdrom plugdev lpadmin admin sambashare
$ groups simon
simon : simon adm lp dialout cdrom plugdev lpadmin admin sambashare

For you, if you need to add the user to lpadmin, it should be something like this (note that you need to use your username, not 'username';-
$ usermod -a -G lpadmin username

sgo sgo # groups
root lp lpadmin
sgo sgo # $ usermod -a -G lpadmin sgo
$: command not found
there must be something wrong with what i am doing.
SimonTS

Post by SimonTS »

Sorry - the command structure I gave is for Ubuntu, so may be slightly different for Debain-based systems. It may be worth your while looking at this page and reading up on the 'usermod' command;-
http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/userandgroup.htm

Also, have you tried to user the "Users and Groups" application? Was 'sgo' the user you created when you originally installed Mint?
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

sudo hp-setup complains about missing Qt.

Make sure this packages are installed for sudo hp-setup to work: hplip, python-qt4, python-qt4-dbus, kdebase-bin, kdebase-runtime, kdesudo, ktsuss.

If these packages are installed, sudo hp-setup might work.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
mintph

Post by mintph »

OMG! It now works.

I re-started the computer and then the HPLIP icon disappeared. and so i went to the menu>system>printing to configure the printer again.

wow i was shocked when i printed a test page and it worked.

i then went to libreoffice writer to print something and then it printed!

A super BIG THANK YOU to SimonTS, slider and AlbertP

you guys have been a big help. I did not make a mistake in switching to Linux Mint Debian Edition!

Cheers to all! You made my day!

How do I mark this as "Solved"?

Return to “Printers & Scanners”