# next option is applicable only if selected theme supports it
gtk-application-prefer-dark-theme = true
# set font name and dimension
gtk-font-name = Sans 10
zerozero

Re: LMDE BREAKAGES - read here first - Update 22 june 2011

Post by zerozero »

A new install (as of today is basically broken

- today i decided to reformat my laptop and the first distro to go in was LMDE 2010.12 (64b);
- After installation, dist-upgrade gave me an error and didn't complete the upgrade, i had to run apt-get -f install, and afterwards dist-upgrade again to manage a successful system update;
- what breaks the DU is the perl5.10 >perl5.12, but even after forcing these pkg installation there's still about 600 more not upgraded and only another DU will install everything properly (and i'm talking about a 64b system, where the pae-kernel issue doesn't show up)

- for reference this is the log http://pastebin.com/0piSkvJc (it's massive and boring as probably everybody knows :lol: )

As a conclusion, i have to join others, that asked for an updated iso: at the moment, these iso's are hurting LMDE's reputation :(
deleted

Post by deleted »

I use smxi to manage both my Linux Mint (testing) distro and #! (sid). I haven't had any breakages in a long time.
-H
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

ajar108 wrote:...problem with LMDE audio. For some reason, only sound in one application works at a time.
See if this thread will help you fix the problem.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 1&#p318668
tux-sven

Post by tux-sven »

Yes I agree, a new ISO is very wanted now. it is far to many updates needed after a new installation. :( it could not be so hard to do as a new release of a Ubuntu-based dist? It must be more like a snapshot of the actual state of the rolling release? Or - perhaps I am wrong? :roll:

Hoping hoping... :wink:
aljoriz

Post by aljoriz »

zerozero wrote:A new install (as of today is basically broken

- today i decided to reformat my laptop and the first distro to go in was LMDE 2010.12 (64b);
- After installation, dist-upgrade gave me an error and didn't complete the upgrade, i had to run apt-get -f install, and afterwards dist-upgrade again to manage a successful system update;
- what breaks the DU is the perl5.10 >perl5.12, but even after forcing these pkg installation there's still about 600 more not upgraded and only another DU will install everything properly (and i'm talking about a 64b system, where the pae-kernel issue doesn't show up)

As a conclusion, i have to join others, that asked for an updated iso: at the moment, these iso's are hurting LMDE's reputation :(
that's odd yesterday I did a complete install 64bit but I was able to complete the upgrade but it still borked the terminal.

If a new ISO is release:
a. wouldn't that be in contradictory to the LMDE promise of NOT RE-INSTALLING again due to the rolling release?
b. Is it possible that the borked install will be fixed by an update as LMDE is a rolling release?
c. Does this experience mean that LMDE is more a headache to maintain for the devs than an ubuntu based system?
nalsdixit
Level 3
Level 3

update stuck at imagemagick

Post by nalsdixit »

when i run dist-upgrade, i get this message, and do not know how to move further
------------------
imagemagick (8:6.6.9.7-3) unstable; urgency=low

Please note that imagemagick version 6.6.9.7 has moved its global
configuration files from /usr/share/imagemagick to /etc/ImageMagick,
following the FHS. See the package imagemagick-doc or
http://www.imagemagick.org/script/resources.php for more information
on configuring ImageMagick.
This will lose any changes you may have made to these files,
in the extremely unlikely case that you have customized them (doing so
was not officially supported by either upstream or Debian versions
before 6.6.9).

-- Bastien Roucariès <roucaries.bastien+debian@gmail.com> Sun, 01 May 2011 13:43:12 +0200

/tmp/tmp3N986y (END)
-------------
hitting the enter key does not do anything, what should i be doing ?

tks

nals
aljoriz

Post by aljoriz »

try pressing the "Q" button to quit
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

Debian has weekly builds http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/weekly-builds/ and updated isos are most needed for first installations (once you have it installed, there's no need to re-install)
ajar108

Post by ajar108 »

dawgdoc wrote: See if this thread will help you fix the problem.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 1&#p318668
Thanks dawgdoc, but the asound.conf file is the same as that proposed in the solution.
This problem is not an issue most of the time, but when i am switching between applications, i need to close one application for the sound in another to work.
dxxvi

Post by dxxvi »

sumski wrote:If you want to use GT3 themes , you need to create

Code: Select all

~/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini
file with , for example this:

[Settings]
gtk-theme-name = Adwaita
gtk-fallback-icon-theme = gnome
# next option is applicable only if selected theme supports it
gtk-application-prefer-dark-theme = true
# set font name and dimension
gtk-font-name = Sans 10
If I install a gtk3 theme, will gnome-terminal 3.0.1 use it? And how to install a gtk3 theme from gnome-look.org? Should I unzip it into ~/.themes? Please keep helping us.

Thank you.
mockturtl

Post by mockturtl »

EDIT: SOLVED (rollback)

Today's update destroyed my desktop -- I wasn't paying attention to the "packages will be removed" warning, and things nvidia-related are gone. :oops:

My system boots to a console, and

$ startx
tells me to try removing /tmp/.X0-lock, which doesn't exist.

Off to see what happened in /var/log/dpkg.log... I'll edit this post with more info.

edit: Thanks to scp, here's the upgrade log: http://pastebin.com/yFwLcd1i
Last edited by mockturtl on Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
monoton

Post by monoton »

Hi,

same problem here with amd fglrx drivers, I just disabled the xorg and libgl1-mesa packages so my system is still running.

Best regards
Last edited by monoton on Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
asermax

Post by asermax »

The mesa update messed up my nvdia drivers too, but somehow i managed to get my mint back in track :F

What i did:
1- Luckyly i had added the debian squeeze repository a while ago, so i installed back the old libgl1-mesa-glx package ( sudo apt-get install liblgl1-mesa-glx/stable ), wich at the same time downgraded other of the packages that conflicted with the nvidia drivers.
2- After that, i installed back the nvidia-glx package, with some of it dependencies (libgl1-nvidia-glx and libgl1-nvidia-alternatives if i remember right x3).
3- Reboot.

It actually didn't exactly happen like that, it was rather a trial an error, but i think those where the important steps.

Hope it helps!
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

Hmmm, these updates are becoming a major problem which strongly hints of a badly needed revamp how how LMDE/X is updated. I know that an overhaul of the updating process is in the works and a respin is going to be released sometime in the future but all these rather major breakages occurring lately due to updates is getting a bit out of hand.

Not complaining, just observing. I'm allowed to do that once in a great while, yes? :D
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
sumski

Post by sumski »

dxxvi wrote: If I install a gtk3 theme, will gnome-terminal 3.0.1 use it? And how to install a gtk3 theme from gnome-look.org? Should I unzip it into ~/.themes? Please keep helping us.

Thank you.
Yes . yes. :wink:
Altough some GT3 themes now use Unico GTK3 engine (ie. Zukitwo)
thomasmc

Post by thomasmc »

kmb42vt wrote:Hmmm, these updates are becoming a major problem which strongly hints of a badly needed revamp how how LMDE/X is updated. I know that an overhaul of the updating process is in the works and a respin is going to be released sometime in the future but all these rather major breakages occurring lately due to updates is getting a bit out of hand.

Not complaining, just observing. I'm allowed to do that once in a great while, yes? :D
As LMDE appears to be considered the ugly stepchild which gets lowest priority, don't be surprised if these aren't addressed until 2012, or so.
I'm just saying.
thomasmc

Post by thomasmc »

asermax wrote:The mesa update messed up my nvdia drivers too, but somehow i managed to get my mint back in track :F

What i did:
1- Luckyly i had added the debian squeeze repository a while ago, so i installed back the old libgl1-mesa-glx package ( sudo apt-get install liblgl1-mesa-glx/stable ), wich at the same time downgraded other of the packages that conflicted with the nvidia drivers.
2- After that, i installed back the nvidia-glx package, with some of it dependencies (libgl1-nvidia-glx and libgl1-nvidia-alternatives if i remember right x3).
3- Reboot.

It actually didn't exactly happen like that, it was rather a trial an error, but i think those where the important steps.

Hope it helps!
I've had mesa updates slip though a couple of times, sending me to a blinking cursor on reboot. Now I keep a copy of the ATI driver install files in the /root directory so I can quickly find them from the console and fix it.

Also, I learned last time to just block mesa files using the IGNORED PACKAGES tab in MintUpdate's preferences. Now they don't even appear anymore.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

thomasmc wrote:
kmb42vt wrote:Hmmm, these updates are becoming a major problem which strongly hints of a badly needed revamp how how LMDE/X is updated. I know that an overhaul of the updating process is in the works and a respin is going to be released sometime in the future but all these rather major breakages occurring lately due to updates is getting a bit out of hand.

As LMDE appears to be considered the ugly stepchild which gets lowest priority, don't be surprised if these aren't addressed until 2012, or so.
I'm just saying.
I don't think it's so much an "ugly stepchild" as it is an experiment that became much more popular than the original developer anticipated. Unfortunately, the original developer is no longer with Mint and although development has been picked up by others and carried forward it spreads the Mint developers (and there ain't many, that's for sure) just that much thinner. At least that's my take on it.

But this is thread is about breakages so I probably should have kept my virtual mouth shut in the first place. :P
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
Lewdsquirrel

Post by Lewdsquirrel »

Hi guys,
like some of you, the latest updates broke my shinny LMDE, because I was using Nvidia proprietary drivers, and was too stupid to notice that the update was going to remove them! Damn.
So after the next reboot, I'm stuck with a black screen asking me to login... :(
I did some research on the Internet and found out that it's still possible to reinstall packages if the ".deb" files are still on the system, even an older version. I also checked the history in Synaptics to know what packages have been upgraded before the breakage.
Here is a list of files and versions you have to "restore".
libgl1-mesa-dev (7.10.2-3)
libgl1-mesa-dri (7.10.2-3)
libgl1-mesa-glx (7.10.2-3)
libglu1-mesa (7.10.2-3)
mesa-common-dev (7.10.2-3)
xserver-common (2:1.10.2-1+wheezy1)
xserver-xorg-core (2:1.10.2-1+wheezy1)

Then you'll be able to reinstall:
libgl1-nvidia-alternatives
libgl1-nvidia-glx
nvidia-glx

Now, all the installed packages (and all versions) are supposed to be stored in "/var/cache/apt/archives", so if you are stuck at the black screen, do the following (change the "i386" in the commands below if you use a 64 bit system):
- Login with the usual username
- type "cd /var/cache/apt/archives"
- type "sudo dpkg -i libgl1-mesa-glx_7.10.2-3_i386.deb"
- type "sudo dpkg -i libglu1-mesa_7.10.2-3_i386.deb"
- type "sudo dpkg -i mesa-common-dev_7.10.2-3_i386.deb"
- type "sudo dpkg -i xserver-common_2%3a1.10.2-1+wheezy1_all.deb"
- type "sudo dpkg -i xserver-xorg-core_2%3a1.10.2-1+wheezy1_i386.deb"
- type "sudo dpkg -i libgl1-mesa-dri_7.10.2-3_i386.deb"
- type "sudo dpkg -i libgl1-mesa-dev_7.10.2-3_i386.deb"

Once it's done, you can reinstall the Nvidia packages by typing:
- sudo apt-get install libgl1-nvidia-alternatives
- sudo apt-get install libgl1-nvidia-glx