mint special google search page....

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
emorrp1

Re: mint special google search page....

Post by emorrp1 »

MALsPa wrote:Sorry, I do think that my question posted immediately prior to your post is a valid question. Does the "adjustment system" that you're speaking of mean that those steps that erginemr posted don't work with Mint 8, or that they are not applicable? Just asking, because it's sounding to me like things may have changed with Mint 8, but I'm not sure.
see facts 6 and 7
MALsPa wrote:Still, not everyone wants to use them, or wants to feel coerced into using them -- that's another fact. :wink:
see facts 7 and 8
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

emorrp1 wrote:see facts 6 and 7
emorrp1 wrote: FACT: This system alters *default* values only (just tested excessively in VBox)
FACT: *Any* method that does not invoke root powers [(gk)su(do)] will work
So do those facts mean that the steps that erginemr posted don't work with Mint 8? Sorry, just trying to get a clear answer on that.
pmorton

Post by pmorton »

The Mint Google page is bad. The answer is clearly for the Mint people to fix it, if it's essential for revenue but greatly inferior to the standard page. Comments of the like-it-or-lump-it and hey-don't-criticise-it's-free variety are silly. Till it's reworked, I'm ditching it.
lgoltry

Post by lgoltry »

I was going to start this post of ripping Linux Mint about the Mint/Google search ordeal. But the after I thought about it for a minute or two. I realized, hey, a lot of people worked really hard on this distribution. And who am I to try and tell them how to set it up. They can do what they want. I really like Mint. All in all this is a pretty small gripe when I step back and look at the big picture. Keep up the great work Mint developers. Linux Mint 9 is awesome! Thanks! :mrgreen:
euthypro
Level 3
Level 3

Post by euthypro »

There seem to be three separate threads on this subject, so some people must dislike the Mint search page. To replace the Mint search page in Firefox, there's an easy solution here:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... ch#p301244

To do the same in Opera:

Go to "manage search engines." Select google>edit. Copy and paste the address somewhere for saving in case you need to revert. Replace the address with the following:

http://www.google.com/search?q=%s&num=%i&sourceid=opera

Try it. It should take you to Google's normal search page.

Angel
dragonfly310

Post by dragonfly310 »

emorrp1 wrote:ENOUGH of this squabbling: please keep discussions civil and fact-based, don't take perceived comments as personal attacks as they probably weren't intended to be. <-- This is related only to page 4 of this topic

FACT: Mint's custom google search generates a significant amount of Mint's income
FACT: This allows Clem to work on Mint full-time
FACT: Google dictates the restricted functionality of custom searches
FACT: Mint 8 introduced an adjustment system, so you can use upstream firefox releases
FACT: This system is run at startup (can also be run manually without reboot)
FACT: This system alters *default* values only (just tested excessively in VBox)
FACT: *Any* method that does not invoke root powers [(gk)su(do)] will work
FACT: You can leave the default search alone and add the pure google for when you really need it
FACT: The search on the *default* homepage also generates income for Mint

Please let this be the last of the discussion.
*emphasis mine

I can appreciate the income generation. Really, I can. I really shouldn't griping too much because you do indeed get what you pay for. That said, even though Linux Mint is free, it's a damn good distro. I switch from Ubuntu to Mint yesterday and I love it more than Ubuntu. Mint looks and works less clunky than Ubuntu in my opinion.

However, relating to the first two of what I bolded, it might be a good idea to tell everyone about this trick either on the first page of the Linux Mint download page or in the Official User Guide. The right side bar of the download page is nearly empty. That could be used as a place to put little tips and tricks like this. That way, it's more up front and transparent. People would then be more trusting when this is said:

This would prevent a lot of the nastiness that occurred in this thread. Hopefully it's seen where the offense comes from because it indeed does seem like we had no choice on this issue. It did seem like we had to use Linux Mint's Google search from the search bar. Since this "fix" was only shared in a message board and not up front via the Mint website or in the User Guide, it does make Clem's statement about choice and transparency seem contradictory. Personally, I understand why a couple of Mint users were ticked off in this thread. Getting solutions to things like this via a message board is bad form. (Personally, I don't mind it, but there are those that do, especially when the Mint Founder and team leader is saying stuff like what's quoted above.)

About the last FACT that I bolded: When I first opened firefox, it took me to the Ubuntu Firefox start page. Since Mint is a variant of Ubuntu, would Mint get the proceeds from that homepage if I searched with that page using Mint as my OS?
alpha1

Post by alpha1 »

I am all for Linux Mint google searches.
But why don't we try searching for "review" - as pointed out by someone else.

Whta results do you get?
vincent

Post by vincent »

dragonfly310 wrote:About the last FACT that I bolded: When I first opened firefox, it took me to the Ubuntu Firefox start page. Since Mint is a variant of Ubuntu, would Mint get the proceeds from that homepage if I searched with that page using Mint as my OS?
I don't know for sure, but I don't think so. Since you probably kept the same Firefox profile when you switched from Ubuntu to Mint (~/.mozilla), that would explain why your home page is defaulting to Ubuntu's default home page and not Mint. If you want to change it though, here's the page you want: http://www.linuxmint.com/start/isadora/
psarhjinian

Post by psarhjinian »

Reactivating this thread:

I'm having an identical problem. If I search for results using the Mint-ized search box at the upper right I'll not consistently get results. For example:
  • "linux mint" gets a normal list of results
  • "linux mint review" gets a did not match any documents
  • "linux mint revview" works fine
I've yet to find if any other search keywords do this. I tried with a fresh install and also tried a fresh .mozilla folder.

If I edit the search string;
...and add a "+test" after "+review" it works fine.

Now, if I have:
it fails. If I prepend with +test it works; if I suffix it, it still fails.
Zleep-Dogg

Post by Zleep-Dogg »

Just to make it clear.. it is easily possible to have both the "mint-edition" and "original" google side by side...

For each firefox profile, where you wish to have his:
  1. go to mycroft.mozdev.org/google-search-plugins.html
  2. find the google search you wish (for instance for your own country)
  3. click to add it and you're good to go....
The plugin will now reside in ~/.mozilla/firefox/[FF profile]/searchplugins/google-[your_choice].xml

If you wish to add this to the default for all users (all the same places mint does), copy it to the following folders (requires root):

Code: Select all

/usr/lib/firefox-addons/searchplugins/
/usr/lib/firefox-addons/searchplugins/*/
/usr/share/iceweasel/searchplugins/
/usr/share/iceweasel/searchplugins/*/
/opt/firefox/searchplugins/
doing this of course means that they won't autoupdate, unless you actually run FF as root (which for obvious reasons can't be recommended)...

Being a new mint-user (LMDE, started yesterday), I have already found plenty of things that are IMO far superior compared to the Ubuntu i (once again) left behind (and of course a few minor issues such as this one).
If only the google functionalities were complete it would be fine with the branded version, but I guess seeing as it's on google's hands it's hard to do something about that fact... I do however agree with some previous posters that (as long as it's not a "full replacement") it shouldn't replace the original search plugin, but instead add itself as eg. "google mint" and then be the default search engine, so the user can switch easily...
Oh, and regarding mint revenue, if I'm as happy about mint in a couple of months as I am now, I'll probably test the donate button :)
bengilna

Post by bengilna »

Hi

Just another voice to this well-filled thread, probably repeating what several others have said (consider it a vote, then).

1. A huge THANKS for Mint. Its been my first introduction to Linux, and I don't want to look back. Kudos to you.

2. The Minty google search bar and results page is really clunky - ironic, when so much else in Mint looks and works quite smoothly. "Elegance" is part of your slogan, no?

I have unfortunately removed the Mint engine and put back the original. I'd love to help revenue streams on this distro (this service, in fact, because that's what you are doing for me), but if I am going to google (these days I am more often using qrobe.it for increased coverage), I am googling for the familiar functionality its results page offers.

3. Constructive feedback (again, you've perhaps gotten it from others, but I just can't take the time to read through all the posts):

- line up the "image", "scholar", etc etc links, the search options (e.g. "last week" "last year", etc) and a link to settings discretely but clearly on the results page. I use these often (e.g. switch between web, image and scholar), and I want to pilot that from the results not the tiny box (with the irritation of a dropdown menu) up the top.

- for god's sake man! Reduce the size of that Mint logo!! (hyperbole for dramatic effect only)

Generally, it doesn't have to be exactly the same as the original google, but the functionality should be obvious and "right there" on the page.

4. I also think you are missing an opportunity to value-add to this engine. You could have, for example, links to linux help boards, forums, repositories, etc as well - a "linux stuff" link in amongst "image" "video" etc. This would be very useful (I find myself googling for solutions/guidance as a noobie very often). Maybe a link to torrents, too.

Perhaps, too, the option to load several different favorite locales (e.g. for me, an Australian working in Norway, I could use "vanilla" google, google.com.au, and google.no all at the easy click of a link). Maybe even different profiles - e.g. one for work with "strict" filtering for work, and one profile that is more relaxed about such matters. (God. Did I just write that out loud?)

Anyway, offering that kind of utility would be something that makes googling in Mint a plus, over and above other distros and OS choices - not a bad thing, no?

Right now, the "costs" of using this Mint google outweigh the benefits (that, let's be frank, are directly to you and only indirectly to us). It has to be more seamless.

All the above offered in the spirit of constructive feedback.

Good luck, and thanks again!

B
drcasper

Post by drcasper »

If you dont mind typeing in the search box than this is the solution I used:

Code: Select all

1    Visit http://www.searchplugins.net/generate.aspx
2    Enter "http://www.google.com/#q=TEST" (without quotes) for Search URL
3    Enter “My Google” (without quotes), or whatever name you want, but not the name already existed in Firefox search engines
4    Click “Create Plugin”
5    Then, you will see that your search bar icon is highlighted.
6    Add the search engine plugin to your Firefox.

Reference link:
http://allencch.wordpress.com/2011/03/0 ... t-firefox/
mintt

Post by mintt »

hopetoregistersoon wrote:what's the big fuss people???
click on the google logo, from the drop down menu select original google
There is only one google dropdown option, which on the mint branded firefox, defaults to the crippled mint google search, which like all non-google search providers is limited in functionality (mint comes with the Mint supplied FF branding - not the stock firefox branding).

If mint search had it's own provider icon / search option, mint search could still ship as default, but with a simple change to stock google via the dropdown list, with no tweaking or special addons etc., required.

Most people here seem to object to the lack of choice, with no simple selection for the layman. If there was a default "Mint" search icon (that still used google) at least this would be a simple option for the average user. "Mint" search could still be the default search in this case, and would generate revenue etc., as it does now but without the undeserved acrimony.

Cheers

Return to “Non-technical Questions”