Split mint-meta-gnome & mint-meta-gnome-dvd

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests

Should user be able to remove elements from mint-meta ?

Poll ended at Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:33 am

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 3

birkopf
Level 2
Level 2

Split mint-meta-gnome & mint-meta-gnome-dvd

Post by birkopf »

Not a revolutionary idea but will help a lot.
Both of those packages carry a lot of useful software but some of us like total ergonomy and usability... ans so - after fresh installation I am always removing program that I will never use. Software like pidgim, tomboy, etc. gets removed to not sit in the disk without purpose.

Issue is - if a user wants to remove them, whole mint-meta package need to be removed/broken. On top of that I am loosing other software that I would like to use.

Could that be changed in next Mint ? I don't dare to say fixed, as this is not a bug, but I hope I will be understood.

- What are your opinions ?

I included small poll for graphical representation of opinions.
birkopf
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Split mint-meta-gnome & mint-meta-gnome-dvd

Post by birkopf »

I actually figured out today that mint-meta-gnome-dvd is causing problems *IF* package is broken and than you try to use program from that package.
rfbennett1

Post by rfbennett1 »

birkopf wrote:Not a revolutionary idea but will help a lot.
Both of those packages carry a lot of useful software but some of us like total ergonomy and usability... ans so - after fresh installation I am always removing program that I will never use. Software like pidgim, tomboy, etc. gets removed to not sit in the disk without purpose.

Issue is - if a user wants to remove them, whole mint-meta package need to be removed/broken. On top of that I am loosing other software that I would like to use.

Could that be changed in next Mint ? I don't dare to say fixed, as this is not a bug, but I hope I will be understood.

- What are your opinions ?

I included small poll for graphical representation of opinions.

I agree with the chap i have often found myself trying to uninstall software that i don't or won't ever need only to find that i have to remove meta gnome or meta dvd it is a very logical solution to seperate them. It would also enhance usability ect ect.
wei2912

Post by wei2912 »

Agree. However, it seems that after an update from the update manager, you would be able to uninstall programs without removing mint-meta-gnome and mint-meta-gnome-dvd. So if i am right, mint 12 should have programs that when uninstalled do not remove mint-meta-gnome or mint-meta-gnome-dvd.

As an extra point, Linux Mint 12 should prevent users from removing important software to prevent newbies from accidentally destroying their OS. There should also be an option to disable it for advanced users.
birkopf
Level 2
Level 2

Post by birkopf »

wei2912 wrote: As an extra point, Linux Mint 12 should prevent users from removing important software to prevent newbies from accidentally destroying their OS. There should also be an option to disable it for advanced users.
Simple information like below will do just fine:

"Removing those packages will make your system unstable... potentially even break.
Are you sure you know what are you doing ?
(Click) YES / NO"

Linux should be about free choice and flexibility :)
wei2912

Post by wei2912 »

Great idea. What we need is to let a member of the developing team to see this.
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

All you need to do is remove mint-meta-gnome or mint-meta-gnome-dvd.

Am I missing something? It is only a 'meta-package' and contains no real data.
rfbennett1

Post by rfbennett1 »

proxima_centauri wrote:All you need to do is remove mint-meta-gnome or mint-meta-gnome-dvd.

He always has to spoil it just has we were getting started :lol: :D :mrgreen:
wei2912

Post by wei2912 »

proxima_centauri wrote:All you need to do is remove mint-meta-gnome or mint-meta-gnome-dvd.

I am currently checking the description to check if it is safe to remove.

EDIT: It is not safe to remove. Doing so will remove a lot of packages that you might want to keep.

2nd edit: Check below posts for update.

Descriptions:
<mint-meta-gnome>
Set of packages common to all Gnome-based editions of Linux Mint.

<mint-meta-gnome-dvd>
Set of packages included in the DVD edition of Linux Mint.
Last edited by wei2912 on Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
proxima_centauri

wei2912 wrote:EDIT: It is not safe to remove. Doing so will remove a lot of packages that you might want to keep.
What packages will be removed with the meta-package?
wei2912

Post by wei2912 »

proxima_centauri wrote:
wei2912 wrote:EDIT: It is not safe to remove. Doing so will remove a lot of packages that you might want to keep.
What packages will be removed with the meta-package?
All which are part of mint-meta-gnome and mint-meta-gnome-dvd.

For example (before the 1st upgrade you make on a newly installed Mint 11):
tomboy
giver
thunderbird
giver
vlc

As i have said earlier,
wei2912 wrote: it seems that after an update from the update manager, you would be able to uninstall programs without removing mint-meta-gnome and mint-meta-gnome-dvd.
But i won't attempt to uninstall it. It might remove some programs with it even if those programs can be uninstalled without removing them.
proxima_centauri

wei2912 wrote:For example (before the 1st upgrade you make on a newly installed Mint 11):
tomboy
giver
thunderbird
giver
vlc
Are these packages being explicitly shown for removal when you select mint-meta-gnome for removal?

It's my understanding that the meta packages contain the information to install a group of packages, but can be removed later on, without uninstalling those group of packages.
wei2912

Post by wei2912 »

proxima_centauri wrote:
wei2912 wrote:For example (before the 1st upgrade you make on a newly installed Mint 11):
tomboy
giver
thunderbird
giver
vlc
Are these packages being explicitly shown for removal when you select mint-meta-gnome for removal?

It's my understanding that the meta packages contain the information to install a group of packages, but can be removed later on, without uninstalling those group of packages.
No, these programs when selected for removal uninstalls mint-meta-gnome.

Will test out the 2nd one.

Edit: Removal is safe, thought they misnamed the package...
wei2912

Post by wei2912 »

@birkopf

I think that when you install a new version of Linux Mint, you should update it first (update-manager, then the rest). Afterwards, you can safely uninstall programs.

(You might be able to do so without updating but i have not tested it.)
proxima_centauri

Yes, since mint-meta-gnome depends on those packages, removing any one of them will remove the meta package. This is safe to d.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”