no sound in lmde

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
codemaster

no sound in lmde

Post by codemaster »

I've installed LMDE on an old computer bought in 2003 and on a newer one bought in 2008. Both these computers have identical sound cards, Creative SoundBlaster Audigy SE, but the speakers conected to the soundcard of the older computer, don't receive any signals in LMDE, only in Windows XP. I checked the volume and it is not set to mute.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
codemaster

Re: no sound in lmde

Post by codemaster »

I found out what the problem is. The old motherboard doesn't have the option to disable the onboard audio chipset in BIOS. Therefore, the solution is to blacklist the onboard audio software-wise. I found a guide for this, but it's for Ubuntu, and I can't manage to adapt it to Mint Debian... because I'm a beginner in Linux, and I just transitioned from Windows 7 to Mint Debian a week ago.
codemaster

Post by codemaster »

in PulseAudio Volume Control, the default audio card is the onboard audio card, and if I select the PCI audio card, then I have sound, but the problem is that I have to select the PCI sound card everytime I open VLC, Flash Player, etc... How can I change the default card to PCI audio card instead of onboard ?
Gerd50

Post by Gerd50 »

Hello codemaster,

what you want to do is a science for itself in Debian. Take a look at this:

http://wiki.debian.org/ALSA
section 'Troubleshooting'.

A file 'sound' you have to create in /etc/modprobe.d and fill it with what

Code: Select all

cat /proc/asound/cards
says.

On my system it would look like this:

Code: Select all

options snd-Audigy2 - SB Audigy 4 [SB0610] index=0
Sorry for my english, in german i could explain it better. But maybe this gives you an idea what to do :wink:
mikebravo

Post by mikebravo »

CODEMASTER, I would suggest you look for a different distribution. In LMDE sound did not work for me BUT in Fedora 14 sound just worked. In CentOS sound just worked. In OpenSUSE sound just worked. In Scientific Linux sound just worked. Think LMDE has a little problem?
lmintnewb

Post by lmintnewb »

Might try opening a terminal and typing alsamixer

Play around with the settings in there. m key to mute/unmute something, right or left arrows keys to navigate. up/down arrows keys to adjust something and esc key to exit it. When I hear of no sound troubles in nix. Usually think one of the 1st places to check is alsamixer's controls and settings.

Return to “LMDE Archive”