New Mint/Linux User

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
evinrows

New Mint/Linux User

Post by evinrows »

I've been programming on Windows for years (mostly web, some Java SE, scratched C++ surface a bit, played with Ruby/Python) and I think it's time to take the step to Linux. I've been jumping from distro to distro trying to find one that automatically works with either my Broadcom wireless adapter or my Rosewell wireless USB adapter. Mint worked with my Rosewell, so at least I can configure my Broadcom on it (not having wired internet at my apartment).

I hope to be pretty active on this forum so I can really start learning Linux once and for all (about my third attempt).

Hello, Mint.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Re: New Mint/Linux User

Post by AlbertP »

Glad that you got internet working on a Rosewell. Earlier today someone in the forums complained about a Rosewell not working.

About Broadcom.
The 4313, 43224, 43225 and 4329 chips work right out-of-the-box since Mint 11.
For most Broadcoms it's enough to download a driver from the 'Additional Drivers' program. In many cases 2 drivers, STA and B43 are shown.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
evinrows

Post by evinrows »

Oh, in that case my 43225* should be working then. I wish I could check by unplugging my Rosewell, but I began installing this morning before I left for work (was so excited to see wireless bars I was almost late for work). I honestly just assumed my Broadcom wasn't working because I thought no Linux distro supported it yet. +1 for Mint already.

Edit: I just checked, was off by a number, I meant 43225 (HP DV6 2150).
Last edited by evinrows on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Welcome to the Mint forums evinrows. I'm sure you will also want to visit our Mint Community Website at http://community.linuxmint.com/. You will also find many Mint users in our IRC channels. Just go to Menu>Internet>XChat IRC and when you open it you will automatically be taken to our #linuxmint-chat and #linuxmint-help channels. Have fun with Mint.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

The driver that lets your 43225 work out-of-the-box, brcm80211, is still a bit experimental. You may still need the STA driver from the Additional Drivers program (the B43 does not support the 43225) if brcm80211 doesn't work well. But brcm80211 (I haven't tried it yet; no Broadcom 4313/43224/43225/4329 here) seems to be stable enough to be able to download the STA if necessary.

(edit: 43224 changed to 43225, but the Linux support of them is equal)
Last edited by AlbertP on Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
evinrows

Post by evinrows »

I just wanted to confirm that my B43225 worked on first launch. :D
The-Wizard

Post by The-Wizard »

Welcome to the Mint family forums

wizard
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Hello evinrows,
Welcome to Mint Forum :P
There is a lot of useful information for new and not-so-new users here -> http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 58#p302355
We have a Community site http://community.linuxmint.com/
For real-time help and discussion there are IRC channels,open MintMenu>Internet>XChat and you will be automatically connected to #linuxmint-help and #linuxmint-chat
Have fun with Mint
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

Welcome to the Linux Mint Forums evinrows!

Cheers.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”