My Chrome crashes periodically

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Cmndr_AlexGreen

My Chrome crashes periodically

Post by Cmndr_AlexGreen »

Linux Mint 9 Fluxbox, Chrome crashes periodically. I restart him, and it is work good. crashes on day 1 -2 times.
What could be a problem?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Kendall

Re: My Chrome crashes periodically

Post by Kendall »

The next time you run Chrome, run it from a terminal. When it crashes see if there's any output in the terminal and post it here.
Cmndr_AlexGreen

Turned on by its console: sudo chromium-browser.
A little open references, looked after in a terminal window and saw:

Code: Select all

~ $ sudo chromium-browser
[6534:6534:22505534311:ERROR:CONSOLE(6465)] "Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'can_uninstall' of undefined", source: chrome://newtab/ (6465)
[6534:6534:22527981162:ERROR:CONSOLE(6465)] "Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'can_uninstall' of undefined", source: chrome://newtab/ (6465)
[6534:6534:22532813427:ERROR:CONSOLE(6465)] "Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'can_uninstall' of undefined", source: chrome://newtab/ (6465)
[6534:6534:22589982493:ERROR:CONSOLE(6465)] "Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'can_uninstall' of undefined", source: chrome://newtab/ (6465)
[6534:6534:22593519204:ERROR:CONSOLE(6465)] "Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'can_uninstall' of undefined", source: chrome://newtab/ (6465)

(exe:6681): Gdk-WARNING **: XID collision, trouble ahead
[6534:6534:22597741614:ERROR:CONSOLE(6465)] "Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'can_uninstall' of undefined", source: chrome://newtab/ (6465)

Kendall

Post by Kendall »

This is an error in GTK2 resulting from the reuse of XIDs, which causes leaks and eventually an unstable window. I can't find a bug report on it just yet, but I did find a commit where they put in the message: git commit.

I honestly don't believe there's much we here at Mint can do. The bug doesn't seem to affect everyone, but it's unfortunate that it affects you. This is likely fixed (or at least better) in newer code bases, however I strongly advise against attempting to upgrade the code base for Mint Fluxbox or trying to upgrade just the GTK components as it's likely to cause breakage. The best thing to do may be to wait until the Debian based Fluxbox is finished.
Cmndr_AlexGreen

I think the problem is due to import settings and bookmarks from your previous browser.
Decides Do the problem completely reinstall the Chrome?
And how better to do this in Mint9 fluxbox?
sjonesy

Post by sjonesy »

latest versions of chrome have been crashing regularly, never did find out why.

Return to “Software & Applications”