LMDE SpinX3 Wishlist

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
karashata

Re: LMDE SpinX3 Wishlist

Post by karashata »

I (among others, it seems) would love to see LMDE have it's own look and feel compared to the main editions. Though, more differences in look than feel, really, a lot of the underpinnings should function as close to identically as possible to the main edition on a fresh install, then people can tweak and change what they want from there (as is the way of Linux distros for many people, I'm sure... Who really ever sticks with the defaults for any serious length of time unless they're just new to it, or don't really care either way..?)

That's my two cents on it.

Oh, that, and bug fixes and the like already previously mentioned, having things work as expected would be nice in the instances where they don't.
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

karashata, samriggs has already seen this thread, http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... de+theming but it may be of interest to you also. The title of it is Theming brainstorm for LMDE, it is up to about 10 pages at this time.
lmde_freak

Post by lmde_freak »

i'm a complete and utter noob (going on 2yrs now) to linux and now, i'm a noob to lmde!

i would really like to see the following, please...
- ecryptfs and it's utils on lmde/encrypted home folder as mentioned before/lvm encryption option; these would all or independently = complete awesomeness!
- an overhauled mint-backup would be sweeeeet! with encryption/compression/scheduling options (like deja-dup)
- i second, a debugged fstab

so, far lmde has been my favourite distro and i'm not leaving!

lmde = one bad ass, mother f***ing (shut your mouth!) distro!
smiley_lauf

Post by smiley_lauf »

I am just coming in here late--
how about jocky-gtk to install restricted drivers--I will switch in a flash.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

Things like a version of jockey for auto install of drivers for LMDE, updated installer, revamped way to update/upgrade and other common sense improvements have already been mentioned so I have one simple request:

When adding the Mint "adjustments" to LMDE please don't overwrite Synaptic so the "Mark all upgrades" button is removed. Since LMDE is supposed to be updated/upgraded using either Synaptic or the terminal (using "apt-get dist-upgrade) it really makes no sense to remove the above mentioned button from Synaptic. It cripples Synaptic as far as performing updates are concerned as the user can't tell what is going to actually upgraded, installed or removed until before the "Apply" button is hit. Removing the button makes sense for Ubuntu based Mint but not for Debian based. :D
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
twin
Level 2
Level 2

Post by twin »

Hey guys!

1 request about the installer:

after selecting keyboard layout, make it possible to easily switch between english + non english keyboard layouts
(e.g. default to alt+shift or ask the user for desired combo)

thanks.
Neck

Post by Neck »

Posted that on breakage but better here i think
I think mint updater in LMDE should come with a "key packages list" which would contains packages that should never be removed by updates if installed, like nvidia-glx, mintmenu, fglrx, grub, etc. Could be an option located near the "include update which require removal of other packages" one, something like "preserve key packages from being removed by updates". This way it could be used to safely update without running across such troubles. :mrgreen:
Other request: the installer should let us pick up more specific keyboard layouts. I live in Switzerland and we have several different layouts but only one option is listed... which is of course not the layout I had :mrgreen: .
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

And...one more time...an AUTO-INSTALL OPTION PLEASE CLEM....like you have on the standard mint edition...having manual partitioning only is not user friendly...and definitely not newbie friendly...
grizzler

Post by grizzler »

Neck wrote:Other request: the installer should let us pick up more specific keyboard layouts. I live in Switzerland and we have several different layouts but only one option is listed... which is of course not the layout I had :mrgreen: .
I'll second that. I use a UK keyboard with dead keys. After I had managed to add that to the list, I spent ages trying to find out how to get rid of the useless default (yes, it's stored in ~/.dmrc - I know that NOW... :wink: ).
secipolla

Post by secipolla »

Hi, sorry for not reading the thread, but maybe it's still time to suggest that LMDE comes with sgfxi. It's a very stable and simple way to install proprietary graphic drivers (specially NVIDIA's). And by now LMDE users shouldn't be afraid of having to go to console terminal to install them.
Of course if you found a way for working around the breakages of the standard Debian packages then this can be disregarded.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

secipolla wrote:Hi, sorry for not reading the thread, but maybe it's still time to suggest that LMDE comes with sgfxi. It's a very stable and simple way to install proprietary graphic drivers (specially NVIDIA's). And by now LMDE users shouldn't be afraid of having to go to console terminal to install them.
Of course if you found a way for working around the breakages of the standard Debian packages then this can be disregarded.
The sgfxi script has always been a good option for installing proprietary graphic drivers. The caveat of course, if I remember correcdtly is that it needs to be re-run after a new kernel is installed. If the user is comfortable with this than using sgfxi is a viable solution. However, in my experience, the user can avoid having to re-install the proprietary graphic drivers via a script by simply doing to following after updating a fresh install of LMDE:

Go to Synaptic (or use a terminal) and install:

nvidia-glx
nvidia-kernel-source
nvidia-kernel-dkms
nvidia-xconfig
nvidia-settings

After installation, run from a terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo nvidia-xconfig
And that's it. 'nvidia-kernel-dkms' is the key of course, as it rebuilds all proprietary drivers (including non-graphic drivers such as 'vbox' and 'ndiswrapper') during an update to a new kernel. It's worked for me ever since LMDE was first released, sort of a install it once and forget it type of thing, and has survived every update so far through several LMDE installations. I can think of only one instance where an update from 'Debian Testing' wanted to uninstall the Nvidia drivers but with the new update system in place (using vetted update packs and the new 'mintupdate-debian' updater) that probably won't happen again.

Just my two cents.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
rs45

Post by rs45 »

Today I read http://www.zdnet.co.uk/blogs/jamies-mos ... -10024034/ and wondered that LMDE and the Debian base could have:

1 a release cycle that mirrors the release cycle of upstream Desktop Environment,
2 isos updated every 2 months or so along with the new update system for LMDE base; that would be a winning comination.
3 and a system/utility by which a user who has downloaded an iso can update the iso itself using the utility which will add the updates of the iso to the offline iso
passstab

Post by passstab »

rs45 wrote:Today I read http://www.zdnet.co.uk/blogs/jamies-mos ... -10024034/ and wondered that LMDE and the Debian base could have:

1 a release cycle that mirrors the release cycle of upstream Desktop Environment,
2 isos updated every 2 months or so along with the new update system for LMDE base; that would be a winning comination.
3 and a system/utility by which a user who has downloaded an iso can update the iso itself using the utility which will add the updates of the iso to the offline iso
that would make a lot of unnecessary work
why not offer a netinstall instead?
i think it would solve all of your problems and lower the amount of work
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=78732
Christof999
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Christof999 »

EMULATORS! Please by god emulators.

Out of all the distros no one does this right. You alweays have to end up compiling, or searching down some mythical deb file. Its simply not necessary, just put em in the repos.

FCEUX
ZSNES
Mupen64
Dolphin
Fusion/Kega
MAME and frontends
ePSXe
PCSX2
LXdream

All have debs or repos, its takes a few seconds, please add em in!

All have great linux versions. Prove em wrong when they say linux can't be used for gaming.

Cheers
benenglish

Post by benenglish »

gurtz wrote:My wish: I would LOVE to see full-disk encryption included in the installer ... possibly in place of, or in addition to, home directory encryption.
Your wish has been granted...sort of. FDE on Mint 14 is surprisingly easy even though it's not in the default installer. See http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 43#p654343
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

this topic ran its course (and was about lmde not main mint anyway)
locking

Return to “LMDE Archive”