[SOLVED] Reinstalled, Updated and now locks up

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
JeffShepherd

[SOLVED] Reinstalled, Updated and now locks up

Post by JeffShepherd »

Hi everyone,

After a bit of hassle I have now reinstalled LMDE gone to update everything. Level one updates were ok, level two updates were ok, level 3 updates downloaded ok and installation started. Part way through the installation I was asked to reinstall Grub but it wouldn't let me so I had to continue without doing that, I assumed that was ok. When it got to installing something to do with Xorg I had an error come up and the update was abandoned leaving all level three updates uninstalled. Upon rebooting I get as far as the login screen and everything locks up, neither the keyboard or the mouse respond.

Help!!!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Reinstalled, Updated and now locks up

Post by tdockery97 »

If you are using LMDE, the consensus seems to be that you do not use Mint Update Manager to do your updates. Things are sure to eventually become broken as a result. The best way to make sure things get installed in order, and without breaking something else in the process is:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
JeffShepherd

Re: Reinstalled, Updated and now locks up

Post by JeffShepherd »

Thanks tdockery, I'm trying that now.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: [SOLVED] Reinstalled, Updated and now locks up

Post by tdockery97 »

If everything isn't fixed the first time, or if it tells you packages have been held back, you may have to run the command a few times before it sorts everthing out. After the huge number of updates is done, from then on your updates should run pretty smoothly.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
Kendall

Re: [SOLVED] Reinstalled, Updated and now locks up

Post by Kendall »

dist-upgrade should pull in all of the "held back" updates that are available as it can remove packages and install additional ones as necessary while the regular upgrade command can only upgrade what's installed presently.

Return to “LMDE Archive”