Hello from a non-geek

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kernowmint

Hello from a non-geek

Post by kernowmint »

Hello everyone.

I've put a couple of posts on this forum so I'd better introduce myself.

I live in Cornwall, UK (known as Kernow in our old Celtic language, hence the username). I'm female - are there many of us on this forum?

I came to Linux just over two years ago, partly out of curiosity because I like trying out things on my computer and partly because of my concerns about the degree to which Microsoft dominates the computing world. I'm all for choice and I soon found that Linux gives me plenty. Having things free of charge helps a lot too on my budget. Once I got over the initial bewilderment at the sheer number of distros available, I found I enjoy trying lots of them out. I have nearly as many distro CDs as music ones in my collection :) . I've followed Mint's development with interest, but until a few weeks ago I could only use Ubuntu as my main OS because none of the others (not even Mint) worked properly with my printer and monitor, which surprised me because they're both well-known brands and not antiquated. With Katya those problems don't exist any more, which was a very timely development for me seeing the way Ubuntu was going, so I've jumped ship. I like the community-oriented aspect of Mint as well as the fairly conservative approach (I don't like too many radical changes in a short time) and Mint's sensible attitude to non-free software. I don't mind some proprietory bits, it's the total domination of Microsoft that bothers me more.

So I've thrown in my lot with the Mint community and here I am. I can't help with any very technical questions, being not at all geeky. I'm usually scouring the forum for answers to my own questions. But I'll enjoy joining in the discussions - or at least the ones which I can understand :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Hello from a non-geek

Post by nunol »

Welcome to the linux Mint Forums kernowmint!

I am glad Mint 11 worked well for you. You will find in this forum many other users that like distro testing.

Cheers.
lmintnewb

Post by lmintnewb »

What's a female ? Errrr oh you mean one of those wimmin type people. Hmmmmm, think all us nix geeks scared all of those away a long time ago. Was probably all the pocket protectors ... Google says wimmin aren't attracted to pocket protectors ! :(

Welcome to mintiness girl. Consider it part of my job to add lame attempts at humor to LM's forum, shrugs.

:D

PS, a ubuntu ship jumper eh ? Hmmmm ... and a wide range of nix cds. In that case, double welcome to you.
Last edited by lmintnewb on Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The-Wizard

Post by The-Wizard »

Welcome to the mint family forums

and Yes we do have a few young ladies as forum members
I came to Linux just over two years ago,
being not at all geeky.
then you must at least be a Trainee Geek :lol:

wizard
BuyerBrown

Post by BuyerBrown »

Hello Nice to meet you - Remember to have a blast, Many very cool folks giving some down right great advice - I'm New here myself and so far its been an enjoyable time
Good Luck to Ya :)
kernowmint

Post by kernowmint »

"Trainee Geek", I like that, although I'll probably be one for the rest of my life. I'll admit to not using the command line much. Being a secretary I spend all day typing, so I don't want to type all evening as well :) I'm not afraid of it, I just choose not to use it very often. I have re-partitioned my hard drive more often than some people have had hot dinners, that makes me a geek according to my friends.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Hello kernowmint,
Welcome to Mint Forum :P
There is a lot of useful information for new and not-so-new users here -> http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 58#p302355
We have a Community site http://community.linuxmint.com/
For real-time help and discussion there are IRC channels,open MintMenu>Internet>XChat and you will be automatically connected to #linuxmint-help and #linuxmint-chat
Have fun with Mint

There are a few female forum members - I'm one of them :)
lmintnewb

Post by lmintnewb »

I have re-partitioned my hard drive more often than some people have had hot dinners, that makes me a geek according to my friends.
Yep ... sorry to break it, but that could in fact qualify you for geek status. Well ... geekette status in this case. It's not so bad though ... being a geek/ette, shrugs. Now if ya actually start wearing a pocket protector. There may be some need for worry. Other than that, there's no real cause for concern. It's not like having cooties or anything.

:D
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rivenathos »

Welcome to the forum. Not everyone here is a geek, but if you are willing to learn, we can help you out! :lol:
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
Current OS: LMDE 3

Return to “Introduce Yourself”