How can I make a new updated install image

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Linux n00b

How can I make a new updated install image

Post by Linux n00b »

Hopefully this is simple question.

What I want to do is making a new install DVD image, not just for a specified machine, but a generic image like what Mint does with its download-able ISO.

The reason I want an updated ISO, is I want the latest kernel and other bit that will support latest hardware and "latest" software (eg. Lib office replaced open office, FF5, etc).

I installed LMDE on a Dell laptop when it was released. At first, I was very disappointed by its lack of update, particularly the seriously behind time kernel. Recently, kernel and other update were picked up really fast. This is now a little close to bleeding edge. Now I'm happy with LMDE and ready to test on more machines before I can finally call it my main work OS.

I also have a request if any Mint team will read this: can you please fix the LMDE and XFCE installer? The "please select a root (/) partition before proceeding" is really annoying (and should be really easy to fix).
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Aging Technogeek

Re: How can I make a new updated install image

Post by Aging Technogeek »

Depending on the size of your installation, you can use either Remastersys http://geekconnection.org/remastersys/ubuntu.html, or Clonezilla http://clonezilla.org/.

Remastersys is a more intuitive program to use, but it has limitations. If you are using proprietary drivers for your graphics card or wireless, they must be uninstalled before Remastersys is run and reinstalled in the new installation. Any symlinks you have must be removed or Remastersys will try to follow them and copy all data in the remote files. Finally, Remastersys has great difficulty handling more than 4 GB of files in one .iso.

That said, Remastersys can do quite a good job as long as the limits are not exceeded. Just be sure, if you decide to try it to download the Debian version, not the Ubuntu version.

I am not as familiar with Clonezilla. It is a larger program than Remastersys and can do much more. I would suggest reading the information on their website (see link above) to find out more about Clonezilla and its capabilities.
Linux n00b

Post by Linux n00b »

I guess I need to explain a little clear. I'm not looking for backup or "clone", but more like making my own re-spin of Mint ISO. I mean updated version.
JeffShepherd

Post by JeffShepherd »

I think Linux n00b means he wants to make a new Live CD of his current installation so that he does not have so many updates to do should he need to reinstall.
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

This is exactly what using Remastersys or Clonezilla in the proper mode will do. Either of the two will take your current installation, including all installed software and data and generate an iso image that can be used to install the system to the same or any other computer.

Remastersys will also do the same with all personal data and configuration files filtered out, leaving all installed applications intact. This is a good way to set up a custom version of Mint with exactly the apps you want. It also lets you give your friends a copy of your installation with all apps installed that they can configure as they want instead of having to live with your configurations and data store.

I have never used Clonezilla, but I believe it will do the same things.

Just remember the limitations I mentioned in my first post and either system will do what you ask.
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

1. Install mintconstructor.

2. Run mintconstructor and choose the LMDE .iso file.

3. Open the chroot terminal and run "apt update" and "apt dist-upgrade".

4. Finish and name your new .iso file appropriately.

In the chroot terminal you can add and remove applications from the default install if you wish.
Linux n00b

Post by Linux n00b »

Thanks Kendall, will try that. Right now I'm waiting for upstream patch to fix the kernel issue. The kernel panic issue with unmount external USB drive is really make or breaking deal (since the patch is easy, I don't see why it takes so long for Debian to release it).
JeffShepherd

Post by JeffShepherd »

I have updated LMDE with a new kernal etc and used mintconstructor, I booted from the CD and I checked the kernal version to see if it was the new version but it was still the old one.
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

JeffShepherd wrote:I have updated LMDE with a new kernal etc and used mintconstructor, I booted from the CD and I checked the kernal version to see if it was the new version but it was still the old one.
Make sure to get rid of the old kernel if you put a new one in. Also, the initrd may not be rebuilt so the kernel for the live image may not reflect what will be installed when you run the installer.

Return to “LMDE Archive”