fixing broken packages

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
xarmyvet02

fixing broken packages

Post by xarmyvet02 »

After repeatedly trying to install Mint Debian I finally gave up. When trying to update updates could not be obtained. It says fix broken packages by running broken filter first. When ran all I got were several unmarked packages. I marked all for installation then applied them. I then tried to update and still the same results. SI there a fix for this. XFCE works fine, but is too plain for my tastes. THANK YOU for your time and consideration.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Neck

Re: fixing broken packages

Post by Neck »

Open a terminal (menu -> terminal) and type in:

Code: Select all

sudo aptitude dist-upgrade
if it errors, go again, until its finished.
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

Fixing broken packages in LMDE -- may I suggest this thread for your viewing pleasure.

LMDE BREAKAGES - read here first - Update 2 july 2011 > http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=67502

If you do not find the 'fix' you need ... do come back here and ask again.
LifeInTheGrey
Level 3
Level 3

Post by LifeInTheGrey »

xarmyvet02 wrote:After repeatedly trying to install Mint Debian I finally gave up. When trying to update updates could not be obtained. It says fix broken packages by running broken filter first. When ran all I got were several unmarked packages. I marked all for installation then applied them. I then tried to update and still the same results. SI there a fix for this. XFCE works fine, but is too plain for my tastes. THANK YOU for your time and consideration.
I've installed 3 new LMDE setups in the last 2 days ... they all end up tracking sid, but before I do that I must update from ISO to fully-updated testing, so I feel pretty confident this is a doable thing. Basically, here's the order:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

- Upgrade fails halfway through "unpacking" phase, kicks you back to prompt...

sudo apt-get -f install

- This installs missing packages necessary for the upgrade. Once it finishes installing...

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

- This updates/upgrades the remaining packages. It is, however, missing the headers for the new kernel ...

sudo apt-get install linux-headers-2.6.39-amd64 (for 64-bit systems)
OR
sudo apt-get install linux-headers-2.6.39-686-pae (for 32-bit systems)

- This completes the update/upgrade process with all packages installed.

After this, you can reboot to the new .39 kernel, and you are fully updated except for xchat. If you use xchat (an IRC application), you can search for the appropriate deb file through google that uses the appropriate dependencies, and install separately through GDebi. Basically, xchat-common should be 2.8.8-3 but has 2.8.8-3linuxmint1 installed ... and the Minty spin prevents it from working. If you install the regular xchat-common from http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/xchat-common and then run dist-upgrade again, it should be fully updated with nothing held back.

*****IMPORTANT TO KNOW BEFORE UPGRADE*****

After you upgrade, you will not be able to modify login settings (set up automatic login, change default user, etc.), nor set unsafe storage for your keyrings. If you wish to set these up, BEFORE the upgrade:

Change login settings to automatic (or whatever you wish to do)
Open "Root Terminal" in Accessories and set up unsafe storage through initial keyring setup (sets up default keyring)
Open "Passwords and Encryption" in Preferences and change password for login keyring

Remember, once you set these up, they cannot be changed, at least with the current ISO/update combo. Maybe with the respin it will be different. Nonetheless, hopefully this helps.
the beauty of linux is that the rabbit hole goes as deep as you want it to go.
xarmyvet02

Post by xarmyvet02 »

Thank you all for the replies. Will give this a show when I have a chance to download and install in a virtual machine first. If it works will wipe hard drive and install in place of Debian 6.0 which I am using now and I think is not as good as Linux Mint.Mint is my favorite.

Return to “LMDE Archive”