Flash Player dosent work (SOLVED)

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Zebulun

Flash Player dosent work (SOLVED)

Post by Zebulun »

So I installed inside windows 7 but when I was finished I was unable to play utube or other flash players. I installed the upgrade to dvd option. This option installed Java but I was still unable to play flash. I went to the Adobe site and installed their "squared" 64bit for Linux. I am unsure how to open this. When I clicked on the download it just opened a window which asked me to look through folders and under download area nothing showed up. When I also try to download Chromium with the software manager it gets to about 12% and says it is looking for system lock. It never passes this point. Is this because I am using the Mint4win? If I upgrade to the full partitioned hard drive version will this solve there issues? If this will solve my issues I will be very happy to download. I am brand new to linux! I used to use windows, switched to mac didnt like it discovered how far linux has come and LOVE it! Honestly so much better than other OS. Thanks for any help!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Flash Player dosent work

Post by tdockery97 »

It's better to install the flash plugin from the repositories than directly from Adobe. It is more smoothly integrated with your system that way.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
lmintnewb

Post by lmintnewb »

Agree with tdockery. Though he no doubt knows mucho tons more about all things nix than I do. Would check in synaptic ... Do a search for flash and select the non-free package to install. If it isn't already. The other thing, installing a .deb package/prog isn't all that tough in Mint from what I remember of it.

Do some googling and forum searching. Think it took all of a couple clicks to do. Though am hazy now on the exact procedure I'd used for it.

Nother opinion, yes ... If you do your homework beforehand. Would say it's definitely better to dual boot linux the way it's meant to be used. Rather than as an app under an inferior OS like Windows. Never really understood people's reasoning in installing linux via mint4win or wubi or whichever. Can't see the possible benefits. Other than it's easier and safer in people's minds. Rather than actually dual booting. Thinking going about it that way would have to give up several of linux's key benefits. While keeping many of the negatives M$ OS's are famous for, shrugs. Linux is a full fledged OS ... not an application or program. Fact an OS that's superior in many ways compared to the closed source ones people use.

Haven't had any problems installing linux. ( though XP, is less craptastic it seems. When it comes to installing other OS's alongside it, than win7 or vista.) Atm, have this old dinosaur quad booted ... w 3 linux distro's and XP on it. When in doubt ... GOOGLE, then read, then read some more. Until you've got enough consistent information to give you a decent idea of what you're doing. Then you can have your Windows and experience linux in all it's nixy glory too !!!

:D
Zebulun

Post by Zebulun »

lmintnewb I agree with you completely about windows being a terrible os. I am actually amazed how much better Mint is! I did a ton of research trying to figure out the best linux os to go with there are so many out there! I did do a search through the forum and the internet for the flash question but just threw the others in. I will try to make sure its not already answered if I have any other q's. I added the non free program and it works like a charm. Most likely will just dual boot Mint anyway. Honestly if it weren't for Netflix I probably wouldn't need windows at all lol. Thanks for the replies!
lmintnewb

Re: Flash Player dosent work (SOLVED)

Post by lmintnewb »

Well glad ya got it sorted out. Encourage you to dual boot linux properly. Though also encourage people to do their research beforehand ... ie: Searches like "how to dual boot linux with windows 7" , "windows 7 +linux", "dual boot linux and windows 7 ... etc.

If you do the homework and take a bit of time to learn about the topic. Then way less likely to run into probs and headaches. Think it's great you like LM. Once you feel comfortable, a good next step is installing it the good ole fashioned way. One more step towards getting yaself away from sleazebag corp controlled OS's like M$ makes and off into the great gnu/linux ( FOSS ) that's there for everyone to enjoy.

:D

Return to “Installation & Boot”