FONT problems, LINUX mint menu(FIXED)

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Re: LINUX mint menu

Post by cmost »

Right-click mintmenu; select preferences. In the gconf-editor window that appears, you'll see a key for applet_icon_name. This points to the icon called distributor-logo.png by default. Obviously, when you change icon themes from Mint's to something else, a new distributor-logo.png becomes the default. You can change it back via a few methods. 1. You can make a copy of Mint's distributor-logo.png and rename it something (like mintmenu.png); copy it into your default icon theme's folder (where distributor-logo.png resides) and then change the gconf-editor key to the new icon name. 2. All you have to do is create a link to Mint's distributor-logo.png in your current icon theme (rename the old distributor-logo.png to distributor-logo.png.bak.) 3. Alternately, you could just overwrite your current icon theme's distributor-logo.png with Mint's. In any case, that's how you'll change the icon. Whew!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Re: FONT problems, LINUX mint menu(FIXED)

Post by cmost »

I'm guessing you used method (1.) in my earlier post (which I admit was not sound advice. You'll get the red "X" placeholder icon if you have not specified a fully qualified path to your distributor-logo.png icon and/or if you did not use a standard gnome icon name. The latter part is the key (which I had forgotten.) I misdirected you to rename Mint's distributor-logo.png to something else. Scratch that. According to the developer of USP (on which Mintmenu is based:) GNOME uses standard names for certain icons. So as long as you use a STANDARD GNOME NAME any icon will work. One way to find out the list of icon names is to look in a theme folder. You can use any name you see there, just leave out the extension such as .png or xpm...
e.g., gnome-logout is a standard GNOME name so using gnome-logout as the icon name in /apps/usp/applet_icon_name will just fine.

Also, be aware that Mintmenu looks for icons in /usr/share/icons by default. Finally, when you've made your change be sure to remove and then re-add Mintmenu to the gnome panel for the changes to take effect.
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Re: FONT problems, LINUX mint menu(FIXED)

Post by cmost »

You know, I just recently changed icon themes from Celena's default to a new one (gion-blu) and now I see what you mean. I painstakingly renamed all the "start-here.png" for every size for both the /usr/share/icons/gnome, /usr/share/icons/Human and /usr/share/icons/gion-blu (my new icon theme) and an Ubuntu logo is STILL f@$#%$ing displaying in place of the Mint logo. Manually specifying a path to a start-here.png that's a Mint logo doesn't have any effect. confused?!? Any ideas? This is driving me crazy!!!!!!! Where is this Ubuntu logo coming from??????? (Clem! any ideas???)

Return to “Beginner Questions”