My first Linux convert

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mikhou

My first Linux convert

Post by mikhou »

I'm generally not one to argue about Linux being better than Windows. I personally believe that Linux is better, but if someone else wants to stick with their Windows machine that's their business. However, I have recently helped my first person convert to Linux. He had an OLD Dell Dimension in which XP got corrupted. Then another friend of his put a bootleg copy of Win 7 on there which resulted in more problems. So, I told him that I could make his computer faster and actually usable by installing a Linux OS on his computer. He's not exactly computer-savvy so he didn't care what was on it as long as it works. I chose to install LM XFCE 9 because I like the XFCE DE and it's faster than Gnome. He really likes it. Do I think that he'll ever use Linux to its fullest potential? No, but all he wants is internet, skype, and a word processor. So, again, I don't care if he uses Linux but I hope that he's happy with it.

mikhou
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Re: My first Linux convert

Post by nunol »

Well done, there is not point on forcing someone to go the Linux route if they are working fine with another OS. Usually I install Linux as dual boot and let the user choose but many times Windows dies or becomes slow and I don't have the time to fix it so the user moves to linux for a while and sometimes stays there. I install Mint 9 LTS or Mint 10 and sometimes Mint 10 LXDE if the computer is slow, but Mint 9 XFCE is a good in between option.
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

Good job. :)

Once or twice a week, I go to one of the local (big-name) Coffee Houses for a cup of coffee and a pastry, and to give my Netbook some on-line time, as they have FREE WiFi.

My AAO Netbooks cover, has a big Tux-penguin, LinuxMint and Debian logos on it. I never say anything to anyone about which OS I use, but I do check everyone else's laptop monitor to see what OS they use. I have never run into anyone else that uses any Linux or BSD OS; but I always look.

Well, just last week ... I had the guy sitting next to me (a college student) say, "I've been wanting to try Linux. Is it hard to get used to?" We talked for a bit about Linux (I have LMDE-Xfce on my netbook) ... I showed him how my Xfce-desktop works.

Just so happens :P that I had a spare CD of LinuxMint-9 Xfce in my backpack. I gave it to him, and quickly explained how to open Mint's "Live" feature, told him to try it without installing. Doesn't hurt.

Did we get another new Linux/Mint convert ... I don't know.
But, "word-of-mouth" is how a lot of Linux gets around.

I don't think that we need to win converts to Linux . . . just -- Sharing what you know.
Robin

Post by Robin »

The dance studio I belong to had an ancient old dinosaur that had Windows 98 on it for the kids to use between dance classes. When the owner talked about trashing it because it was so slow, I offered to speed it up, "but it'll wipe the drive, if that's okay," I said.

"Better than tossing the whole darn computer. Go ahead," she said.

"Robin's Remix" was a minimal Ubuntu install with LXDE (which my older brother says "looks just like Window 98" to him). It made that old machine FLY through even multi-tasking stuff like browsing while playing music and doing homework. But it was point-and-click simple just like Win98 was. The other kids used it effortlessly without even being told it was a Linux box.

My only "converts" were other dancers there who asked how I got that old thing to run so fast and so simple. I gave them a LiveCD of "Robin's Remix" and explained that they could (and should) give it a spin from the CD before installing it to make sure it works on their hardware. At least two dancers and their whole families ended up switching to Linux when their old machines got slow or corrupted. Both of those kids are Xubuntu/Mint Xfce users now.

I too see no need to "seek converts to Linux," but I love it when people ask "what's that" when they see (well, saw - it kinda frizzled out now) my Crunchbang laptop! But I especially like it when they ask about fixing a corrupted Windows box.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

Just 'dropped Mint 10' onto a Brand New - GeeWhiz ( read Gaming calibre) PC :o

runs like a charm, does everything that he wants - at least at this moment
only issues was - as usual - JAVA - had to be installed to get a MMORPG game to work. :(
and a later version of Blender, - than was available in the repo's.

( all it's specs have three zero's after each figure ) :eek

it just plain loaf's along on Mint !.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Hedgehog

Post by Hedgehog »

Well done, a good feeling helping even strangers out.
I Recycle PC's that folk bin and use still working bits from peoples Upgrades for builds, I could use Windows but service users who need to be able to get net access and do basic stuff get them at low or NO cost, it's an experiment at the mo' but there is oodles of perfectly usable kit going to Landfill/Scrap.
I'm running at 5 confirmed converts and spreading the 'Gospel' in the charities I volunteer at, they still spend funds upgrading and use Windows because that's what they were taught on.
I hate waste whether it be in Computers or in the Humans I help!

Return to “Non-technical Questions”