best way to connect to file server? solved

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
akshunj

best way to connect to file server? solved

Post by akshunj »

So, first let me describe my pimp 8) setup:

Server - Old P3 desktop in the basement running Cassandra XFCE. It is a broadcatching system, as well as streaming file server. I use T.E.D. to catch TV torrents via RSS as they come available, and those torrents get bounced to Deluge for downloading. The system also runs a SAMBA server.

Client - HTPC in the living room running Daryna. I use SAMBA to mount the basement file server's directory, and stream the content on-demand with Xine.

My problem is network throughput. I can't get anything faster than 900KB/sec (7.2Mb/sec). I'm using wireless-G for the router and both clients, which should give me a theoretical speed of 6.7MB/sec (54Mb/sec). That's like turning on the shower and getting a little trickle. Sure, streaming video doesn't need a ton of bandwidth, but occasionally the content is in HighDef and Xine starts to stutter.

Am I overcomplicating things by using SAMBA? Should I use another type of server? NFS gives me similar results, but maybe SSH? Any thoughts?

--Akshun J
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: best way to connect to file server?

Post by Husse »

Seems a bit too large difference. Have you ruled out a hardware glitch?
akshunj

Post by akshunj »

Husse wrote:Seems a bit too large difference. Have you ruled out a hardware glitch?
Yeah, it's not a hardware thing. I've swapped about everything out at least once...

--Akshun J
Husse

Post by Husse »

OK - can you check the rate for a "normal file transfer" just using shared folders
The speed of that can give a hint
akshunj

Post by akshunj »

Shared folders? Not sure what you mean. I experimented with SSH and connected to my desktop system from a Virtual Machine running Daryna. I used bridged networking, so the Virtual Machine had it's own IP. I copied a file via SSH, and it maxed out my connection for the first time at about 6MB/sec (50 Mbits/sec). :D

So, thinking I fixed my problem, I dumped SAMBA and setup SSHfs. Outside of the virtual machine, my luck was not as good. But, network speed was improved 1.5MB/sec (12Mbits/sec). And my HD streaming is more reliable. No stuttering. I'd call it a partial success.

By the way, SSHfs absolutely rocks! The SSH server sets up right after install from Synaptic. And on the client side, a few tweaks here and there, and you're set! No samba config files, defining shares, creating new users, etc. You could spend an hour configuring SAMBA, but SSH took me 5 minutes!

--Akshun J
Husse

Post by Husse »

Jay - that's some difference :)
With "shared folders" I referenced to Control Center > System > Shared folders
It uses rather basic networking (I presume)

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”