Software manager not starting

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
godsotherhand

Software manager not starting

Post by godsotherhand »

Software manager doesnt start for me now..
No idea why this happened, although LMDE did act strange...(ran update,it got around 800+MB of updates, it finished update, ran it again, it said nothing needed update..and after reboot another 600 MB of updates >.<).
Could any1 please help me get my software manger up and working? I know, i can use synaptic, but the software manager is alot more easyer for me.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
monte44

Re: Software manager not starting

Post by monte44 »

I am having the same issue too. Hope you hear something.
msm

Post by msm »

I had the same issue today and resolved it by changing from the Main Server to the Best Server Available (or something like that) under Software Sources.
techzonez

Post by techzonez »

This is apparantly not an isolated problem. The same think is happening to me with the 64-bit version. Adding to the frustration is that there seems to be no way to kill the process (short of restarting the computer) once I click on it in the main menu. It does not show up in the System Monitor. Looking for a solution.
rjs

Post by rjs »

No. It's not isolated. It's broke. Do a search here on the forum for the fix if so inclined. The revert works for this particular app, but breaks on update again of course.

To kill the hanging process, just use xkill from the terminal, or, ps aux |grep whatever, kill -9 process number. You can also run top and kill the process from there if you so choose. If you want to make it even easier, you can set up a taskbar xkill by adding "force quit" to your applications on the taskbar. Right click, add app, force quit... that is xkill. Click on it, it will change your mouse curser to an app killer, click on the hung window... POOF... gone.

Recommendation long term however is to use the promt to kill processes. You can verify the process manually and kill it. That is the better way to do it. There are very few times you will ever truly "need" to reboot linux. A kernel upgrade being one exception.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

Return to “LMDE Archive”