re-install b43 modules after kernel update

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
acithium

re-install b43 modules after kernel update

Post by acithium »

I looked around a couple of forums and google, but I can't seem to find a black and white answer. When I do a kernel update am I required to reinstall the broadcom b43 modules and reinstall the nvidia drivers as well, or does it do all of that automatically?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Re: re-install b43 modules after kernel update

Post by TBABill »

In LMDE and Debian you must do so each kernel update (major update...like going from 2.6.32 to 2.6.39). I have to do so for the proprietary driver as well. Ubuntu based Mint doesn't change kernel versions throughout a releases cycle so you don't have to worry about it. All you get with theirs are minor version upgrades (2.6.33.7-11 to 2.6.33.7-12, for example).
acithium

Post by acithium »

So I do I have to download them again, or are they still cached locally on my system?
I might just blacklist the kernel from upadting because it took me awhile to get my wifi working, and I don't want that headache again.
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Post by TBABill »

I'm not sure, but instead of doing

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install
you could try

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install --reinstall
and see if it uses a cached version or still pulls from the repo. I haven't tried it to know for certain.

Return to “LMDE Archive”