UPDATE PACK 1 FEEDBACK THREAD

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
clem
Level 12
Level 12

UPDATE PACK 1 FEEDBACK THREAD

Post by clem »

Rules:

- This thread is for users of the Linux Mint Debian Incoming repository only (deb http://debian.linuxmint.com/incoming testing main contrib non-free).
- This thread is for users of the Linux Mint Debian Incoming repository to report problems to the team, so that the team can relay them towards all LMDE users via the Update Manager.
- If you're pointing to the Debian repositories, do not post in here.
- If you're looking for support, answers or information, do not post in here.

When posting about a regression or tricky upgrade, please include the following:

- The package update which is problematic.
- If you can, analyse the cause of the problem and why it is happening.
- If you solved it or found a workaround, please post it as well.
- Include any information you think might help the team solve the problem for others, or that might help others to work around the problem.

Any post not following these rules will be deleted.

The Update Pack repositories were created to help people help each others identify regressions coming from Debian Testing and to give the team the opportunity to fix things at regular intervals. I'd like to thank all the people who will somehow act as guinea pigs while using the Incoming update-packs and thanks to whom users of the Latest update-packs will have an easier life.

Thanks for choosing Mint and thanks for helping out!
timmythepirate

Re: FEEDBACK THREAD

Post by timmythepirate »

Everything upgraded just fine on my system, except for kdenlive. I had to uninstall it because the system claimed it was broken. When I tried to reinstall it I was given the error "Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable distribution that some required packages have not yet been created or been moved out of Incoming. The following information may help to resolve the situation:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
kdenlive : Depends: libmlt++3 (>= 1:0.7.2+git20110530) but 1:0.7.2-0.1 is to be installed
Depends: libmlt4 (>= 1:0.7.2+git20110530) but 1:0.7.2-0.1 is to be installed
E: Broken packages"

This is the only error I have had, except for gnome-terminal which has reverted to a low-resolution theme.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

Code: Select all

amadeu@amadeu ~ $ inxi -r
Repos:     Active apt sources in file: /etc/apt/sources.list
           deb http://packages.linuxmint.com/ debian main upstream import backport romeo
           deb-src http://packages.linuxmint.com/ debian main upstream import backport romeo #Added by software-properties
           deb http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main contrib non-free
           deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org testing main non-free
           deb http://debian.linuxmint.com/incoming testing main contrib non-free
           deb-src http://debian.linuxmint.com/incoming testing main contrib non-free
mesa and xserver still break nvidia in incoming

Calculating upgrade... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  libgl1-nvidia-alternatives libgl1-nvidia-glx nvidia-glx
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  libavutil51
The following packages will be upgraded:
  libavcodec52 libavformat52 libavutil50 libgl1-mesa-dri libgl1-mesa-glx
  libpostproc51 libswscale0 libx264-115 xserver-xorg-core
9 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 3 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 21.4 MB of archives.
After this operation, 45.4 MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? n
Abort.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

@timmythepirate: I think you're just missing the multimedia repository.
clem@gateway ~ $ apt policy libmlt4
libmlt4:
Installed: (none)
Candidate: 1:0.7.2+git20110530-0.1
Version table:
1:0.7.2+git20110530-0.1 0
500 http://www.debian-multimedia.org/ testing/main amd64 Packages
0.7.2+git20110530-1 0
500 http://debian.linuxmint.com/latest/ testing/main amd64 Packages
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

@zerozero: I saw you mention this before but I didn't look into it much yet. Can you tell me more about it? What is causing the problem, and how do you work around it?
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

this mesa issue seems now solved
http://blog.mraw.org/2011/06/14/mesa_a_ ... the_Force/
http://blog.mraw.org/2011/06/18/mesa_a_ ... the_Force/

so now what is stopping the clean update is the rebuild of the nvidia driver (testing has 275.09.07-1 and needs 275.09.07-4 available in sid)
p.s- i believe there's also a problem with ati, but can't help much in there :(
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Well not yet.. as you said. Whether it's in update pack 1, or the current testing, here's what we have a the moment:
clem@gateway ~ $ apt install libgl1-mesa-dri libgl1-nvidia-alternatives libgl1-nvidia-glx nvidia-glx libgl1-mesa-glx --dry-run
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
libgl1-mesa-glx : Breaks: libgl1-nvidia-alternatives (<= 275.09.07-1) but 275.09.07-1 is to be installed
libgl1-nvidia-alternatives : Breaks: libgl1-mesa-glx (>= 7.10.2-4~) but 7.10.3-3 is to be installed
libgl1-nvidia-glx : Breaks: libgl1-mesa-glx (>= 7.10.2-4~) but 7.10.3-3 is to be installed
E: Broken packages
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

This is quite a significant problem. We should start getting Update Pack 2 ready as soon as this situation is solved in Testing. In the meantime I'll update the info in Update Pack 1 for people not to apply these updates.
zerozero

Re: UPDATE PACK 1 FEEDBACK THREAD

Post by zerozero »

this probably is out of the scoop of the incoming repo but a

sudo apt-get install -t unstable nvidia-glx
has been reported several times to work
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newW2 »

Last night (forgot to submit) :oops:

It worked the same way update was working before. Which means uing the Update GUI, fails with a fix broken packages error.
I tried to fix them in synatpic, and with cli and apt-get. The update worked via the CLI with the autoclean, update, and dist-upgrade commands. It's re-booting now.
Got the tty login prompt. Logged in OK.
Startx which resulted in: a fatal error

xinti: giving up
xinit: unable to connect to X server: Connection refused
xinit: server error

Because there is no longer and nvidia driver available.

Changing the sources list back to the original and insalling nvidia-glx driver.
Changing the sources list back to incoming and rebooting restored everything.

Able to install the updates from teh update afterwards. Strange perhaps I edited the sources list with a typo-the first time.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

zerozero wrote:this probably is out of the scoop of the incoming repo but a

sudo apt-get install -t unstable nvidia-glx
has been reported several times to work
I can confirm that this does work when the "Debian testing" repo is temporarily changed to "unstable" in the sources list and installed as zerozero states. In fact it's the "nvidia-glx" package in the "debian testing" as well as the new Mint "latest" and "incoming" repositories that fails due to it's dependency on "libgl1-nvidia-glx" which is currently the wrong version. Installing/updating "nvidia-glx" from "ustable" repo installs the updated library as well as other dependencies. I don't have the version number of "libgl1-nvidia-glx" from "testing" that failed but the version installed from "unstable" is 275.09.07-4.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

If you see the nvidia driver recompiled in Testing and the mesa problem fixed, let me know and we'll process Update Pack 2. Gnome 3 is being imported (we already experienced regressions with themes in the terminal, the calculator and the system monitor), so ideally I'd like a quick Update Pack 2 that features a fixed MESA update with a minimum of Gnome 3 :)
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

clem wrote:If you see the nvidia driver recompiled in Testing and the mesa problem fixed, let me know and we'll process Update Pack 2. Gnome 3 is being imported (we already experienced regressions with themes in the terminal, the calculator and the system monitor), so ideally I'd like a quick Update Pack 2 that features a fixed MESA update with a minimum of Gnome 3 :)
Quick question. Is LMDE going to go the way of Gnome/gnome-shell or is the plan to convert to Gnome 3 underpinnings with a Gnome 2 type interface? Or has that not been decided yet? If you've posted about this already my apologizes. I do miss things once in awhile. :)
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

@Clem,
i see 275.09.07-5 entering unstable today, so this will means that 07-4 has to migrate to testing, replacing the broken 07-1
http://packages.qa.debian.org/n/nvidia- ... ivers.html
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

zerozero wrote:@Clem,
i see 275.09.07-5 entering unstable today, so this will means that 07-4 has to migrate to testing, replacing the broken 07-1
http://packages.qa.debian.org/n/nvidia- ... ivers.html
I'm currently running 275.09.07-4 (installed from unstable yesterday along with nvidia-glx and the dependencies) and it appears to have solved the problems. Everything is running smoothly now.

Gateway Intel Core2-Quad Q8400/4MB L2 Cache, 8GB DDR2, 1 TB HDD, Nvidia GT-430 w/1GB DDR3
lleiria
Level 2
Level 2

Post by lleiria »

As I do not have an nvidia driver, I made the full upgrade with mint update without ignoring anything (I have Intel drivers). But the result was bad. After the upgrade, my system became too slow, with firefox, one nautilus window and terminal was almost unusable.
I use the liquorix kernel, but I rebooted to the pae kernel and the result was the same.
Obviously a video issue, because on terminal I couldn't even read the result of inxi -r: the letters were there, but didn't show up.
So I went to compiz configuration and unchecked almost everything.
Now it's fast again and apparently works well, but without compiz effects.
Is it for mesa?
Sound is ok, flash is ok, firefox addons ok, vlc ok.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

Just found out about a rather serious problem when using the 2.6.39-2 kernel with LMDE concerning the removal of USB connected external hard drives causing an apparent kernel panic when selecting "Safely remove drive" from the right-click context menu of the extender hard drive. Here's the link to the initial post in the "LMDE Breakges" thread:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 38#p445820

This only applies to USB connected hard drives and not USB thumb drives so far. I'm reposting the text from the above mentioned thread here for reference:
grizzler wrote:
kmb42vt wrote:The 2.6.39-2 kernel was quickly released which solved all the aforementioned problems and has been running well so far in my case. I also haven't had any problems so far using the 2.6.39-2 kernel (Update package 1) currently installed in LMDE.
Try to 'safely remove' a USB external harddisk with more than one partition. Be prepared for a kernel panic.
Wow! Now there's a good one. I've been able to remove my thumb drive using "Safely remove drive" but I haven't had my external hard drive hooked up for the past month or so. That being said, I did a few experiments and I can successfully unmount my external hard drive without a complete lock up of LMDE by opening Nautilus and simply clicking on the "unmount" arrow to the right of my listed external hard drive in the left sidebar. The drive unmounts and the system is still stable. Strangely enough, if I right-click on the now unmounted external hard drive it still has "Safely remove drive" listed in the context menu and it shouldn't be since the drive is not mounted.

Is there a particular log entry that actually shows the kernel panic? My LMDE simply locks up and I have to force a "power-off-reset". Once booted back in I can't find anything about the kernel panic in the "Log file viewer". One thing I have noticed during the boot up sequence using the 2.6.39-2 kernel (once I updated LMDE using the new update system that is) is the following udev error (listed in "syslog":

udevd[3606]: failed to execute '/lib/udev/mtp-probe' 'mtp-probe /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.7/usb2/2-5 2 3': No such file or directory
Not sure if that has to do with the problem we're seeing but I thought I'd post it anyway. This needs to be reported if it hasn't been already, at least to the "UPDATE PACK 1 FEEDBACK THREAD":

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 19#p444219

If you have the text of the kernel panic it would be great. Meanwhile a work around is to use the "unmount" arrow the the right your listed external hard drive in the left sidebar of Nautilus as I mentioned above.
I haven't been able to find any log of the apparent kernel panic so far, my guess is that the system locks up too quickly for any entry to be made. But the problem definitely exists.
timmythepirate

Post by timmythepirate »

When I click on the battery icon in the notification area, it says "Laptop battery(43.9%)" twice. I'm using "Notification Area 2.30.2".
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

In reference to the problem of system lock up when selecting "Safely remove drive" for a USB connected external hard drive, I installed the latest Liquorix kernel (2.6.39-2.dmz.1-liquorix-amd64) and the problem does not occur. Just FYI.

Also the problem was confirmed by zerozero and a few others on the LMDE Breakages thread.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

@kmb42vt: I can reproduce it here. It drops me to a console with a lot of disturbing symbols on the screen :) From there I can CTRL+ALT+F1 to gain access to a normal console though, and even CTRL+ALT+F7 to get back to X. I think that's been like that for a while though, and I'm not exactly sure if it's kernel related or caused by something else...

@timmythepirate: That looks like a bug, but I need more info to flag this as a problem related to Update Pack 1.

Return to “LMDE Archive”