Desktop doesn't start

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
JeffShepherd

Desktop doesn't start

Post by JeffShepherd »

Hi everyone,

I've just spent ages updating LMDE, rebooted so I start with the latest kernal bu the desktop doesn't start up. I get a screen like ctrl alt F1 has been pressed asking me to login, pressing ctrl alt F7 only bought up a black screen with a flashing cursor.

I have tried rebooting and selecting the old kernal from Grub but get the same result.

Is there anything I can do or do I have to reinstall again from scratch and do all the updates again?

Thanks,
Jeff
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SciFiDude79

Re: Desktop doesn't start

Post by SciFiDude79 »

Do you have Nvidia graphics and, if you do, did you install the proprietary driver using sgfxi? The reason I ask is that I do have Nvidia graphics and did install the driver this way and had this problem and I fixed it by rerunning sgfxi.
JeffShepherd

Post by JeffShepherd »

I do have Nvidia and I installed the driver by doing

Code: Select all

apt install nvidia-kernel-dkms nvidia-glx build-essential nvidia-settings nvidia-xconfig

Code: Select all

sudo nvidia-xconfig
SciFiDude79

Post by SciFiDude79 »

It must just be a problem relate to Nvidia drivers and kernel updates. Have you tried running nvidia-xconfig from the CLI again? That might fix the problem.
twa

Post by twa »

mockturtl

Post by mockturtl »

JeffShepherd wrote:Hi everyone,

I've just spent ages updating LMDE, rebooted so I start with the latest kernal bu the desktop doesn't start up. I get a screen like ctrl alt F1 has been pressed asking me to login, pressing ctrl alt F7 only bought up a black screen with a flashing cursor.

I have tried rebooting and selecting the old kernal from Grub but get the same result.

Is there anything I can do or do I have to reinstall again from scratch and do all the updates again?

Thanks,
Jeff
I hate to say it, Jeff, but I think you're the victim of bad timing. :( If it's any consolation, it's not an issue with the 2.6.39 kernel.

On July 2, Debain testing pushed an update with a dependency conflict which removes proprietary graphics drivers. Installing this update breaks your desktop.

Obviously, that's a showstopper -- some options I see are:
  • Wait for debian testing to push a fix (1-2 weeks?)
  • Revert to older versions of offending packages (see link above; may depend on apt cache, i.e., not applicable for fresh install)
  • Resolve the conflict by updating your graphics driver to the version in debian "unstable" (sid) (see link above)
  • Reinstall; avoid upgrading conflicting packages (see below); a fix will be available with the upcoming LMDE "snapshot" releases (see blog)
  • Reinstall; change your /etc/apt/sources.list entries from "testing" (wheezy) to "stable" (squeeze), until a respin of LMDE is available
mintupdate-debian wrote:If you are using a binary nVidia/ATI driver, be careful when upgrading MESA packages. If the update requires the removal of your driver, ignore it for now and wait for Update Pack 2 to update MESA. In particular, be cautious with the following package updates:

libgl1-mesa-dri
libgl1-mesa-glx
xserver-xorg-core
This is the worst breakage I've seen since LMDE was released, but Clem and the gang are pursuing a thorough solution so it won't happen again.
SciFiDude79

Post by SciFiDude79 »

That's interesting information. At least it's easy to fix on the user end, though. All you have to do is reinstall the Nvidia driver using the same command that you used before and it should be good to go. If the driver is still cached locally, it should only take a few minutes to install.
malligt
Level 4
Level 4

Post by malligt »

Personally, I'd wait for the LMDE "new-and-improved" respin before I'd do anything else...should be released in the next week or so....

One highly regarded LMDE poster recently wrote that trying to install the present version of LMDE from scratch at this time is a bust. hence: Wait for the respin
sumski

Post by sumski »

i wouldn't say it's impossible. Just install lmde, and before upgrading replace the testing lines from your sources.list with debian snapshots repo from the date before the breakage. Debian snapshots are EXTREMELY useful.

Return to “LMDE Archive”