[SOLVED] NVidia problem when updating to 2.6.39

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Aradan

[SOLVED] NVidia problem when updating to 2.6.39

Post by Aradan »

Hi, i updated Mint to the last kernel, but there seems to be a problem installing NVidia, i had to remove xorg.conf to the X to work.
Now i have nouveau drivers, how can i install the propietary drivers?
I downloaded the drivers from http://www.nvidia.com, but when i press Accept, it just closes and i can't read what's the error.
I searched through the forum certain problems with this kernel, but i can't figure out what's the real problem.
M.. now i opened my old 2.6.32 kernel, but the problem is the same. :/

Sorry for my bad english
Thanks in advance

Dave
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DynamicMan

Re: NVidia problem when updating to 2.6.39

Post by DynamicMan »

I'm looking for a solution to this myself, will try http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 54#p443154
LifeInTheGrey
Level 3
Level 3

Post by LifeInTheGrey »

Have you tried sgfxi?

1) Ctrl+Alt+F1 to get back to command line
2) Log in as root
3) Run "apt-get install sgfxi" (without quotation marks, and the same will all following quotation marked commands)
4) Once installed, run "sgfxi -! 40"
5) Install the appropriate nvidia drivers (newer = legacy, newest = recent cards)
6) Follow the instructions until completion into booting into desktop

This will delete the Nouveau drivers and install the nvidia drivers on all kernels you have currently installed.

**NOTE**

The same "sgfix -! 40" command will need to be run everytime you install a new kernel OR upgrade xorg, otherwise the setup will be broken / not have X at all. But other than that caviat, you will be golden.
the beauty of linux is that the rabbit hole goes as deep as you want it to go.
h2-1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by h2-1 »

LifeInTheGrey, make sure directions are correct before posting them.

Is sgfxi in Mint repos, as an apt package? Not the last I heard.

You're also mixing up smxi's front end for sgfxi, where you see the newer/newest options, with sgfxi.

Again, make SURE you actually have done the process yourself before telling others how to do it, otherwise confusion and disorder replaces working solutions.

Unless sgfxi is in the repos, the correct steps are:

Code: Select all

cd /usr/local/bin && wget -O sgfxi smxi.org/sgfxi && chmod +x sgfxi && sgfxi 
You only have to run the first part once, after that sgfxi updates itself automatically.

Using -1 40 is only needed if you run multiple kernels and want to make sure all of them have the current driver module installed, so you can boot into any of them at any time.

For most users, running: sgfxi
alone is all that's required, if the driver is current version, that simply rebuilds the driver module using the already downloaded driver package, if it's not current, it downloads the latest driver, which is what you usually want, and installs it.
Aradan

Post by Aradan »

Ok, i ran sgfxi and drivers installed succesfully. Now the problem is that the screen on gnome blinks and i can't do anything . Have anyone had this problem?
I tried to install Nvidia 173.xx with smxi but the screen gets black, just with a white line blinking :/
h2-1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by h2-1 »

hard to know what you mean here, I'm going to assume that when you say: 'the screen on gnome blinks' you are referring to the login screen?

One frequent cause of gnome/kde failures to login is that the partition is full.

Run this command: df -h
to see how much room is available, if it's at 99 or 100% it won't work, and you have to clear out data. Easiest way to make room is to run: apt-get clean

that usually gets rid of a gigabyte or so if you've never run that before.

If you see the login screen, the graphic thing, then the driver is working, and that's not the problem.
Aradan

Post by Aradan »

Oh, sorry for not being so clear.
The login screen is fine, i can type my username and password and looks perfect. The proble is when i am in gnome :O
The screen starts to blonk or flicker, don't know what's the right word :o
h2-1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by h2-1 »

Whenever posting issues re graphics problems, always provide all relevant information: kernel, video card/product.

Update inxi then show inxi -Gx:

To update, do, as root, or use sudo: sudo inxi -U
then as regular user, show: inxi -Gx

For flickering screens, which is the right word, it depends on many things. Make sure compiz is disabled.

Try installing the beta nvidia driver, if you use nvidia: sgfxi -B
that is a stable driver from what I can see. See if problem persists.

Disable any special 3d type things like compiz, those just cause problems, I never use them.

If problems still persist, make sure it's not hardware related, ie, your video card/chip or monitor is failing. Check this by booting into any livecd and seeing if you get that screen flicker, if it's hardware, you'll either see it or you won't.

If problems still persist, and all other above issues can be discounted, maybe a bug report to nvidia, but I'm going to guess it's not nvidia related in terms of it being a bug. I would guess that it's compiz related however, or hardware related.
Aradan

Post by Aradan »

Ohhh it worked!! I removed compiz-core , the installed Nvidia drivers from www.nvidia.com and i have now my desktop back! :mrgreen:
Many thanks for your help, i was so worried 'cause i have a lot of important data and programs here.
Compiz was the problem. Sadly now i won't have the beautiful effects. But the most important is back.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
h2-1
Level 4
Level 4

Re: [SOLVED] NVidia problem when updating to 2.6.39

Post by h2-1 »

sgfxi downloads and installs the drivers directly from nvidia, so you could have saved yourself that step.

sgfxi also needs to have downloaded the drivers previously to reinstall the kernel modules quickly, so it's generally easier on you just to do it via sgfxi, or so I like to think.

You can try the latest nvidia betas: sgfxi -B
and see if compiz works better with those.

you also didn't post your inxi -Gx output, which means we don't know what nvidia card you have.
Aradan

Post by Aradan »

Hi, m.. i will try the beta.
The inxi output says:
Graphics: Card nVidia C67 [GeForce 7000M / nForce 610M] X.org 2) Res: 80x24 Gfx Data: N/A for root
Aradan

Post by Aradan »

I installed the beta drivers, then compiz. Now everything works perfect!

Return to “LMDE Archive”