Nautilus needs serious improvement! [SOLVED]

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
vistad
Level 4
Level 4

Nautilus needs serious improvement! [SOLVED]

Post by vistad »

I use Nautilus in LM11 everyday and everyday I think that it needs lots of improvements. I would suggest that its Folders pane and its address bar would benefit greatly from rebuilding them in Windows XP Explorer style. Nautilus right pane should provide empty white space to click upon if we, say, want to rightclick and create a folder. When I hit F3 to use its great feature to open the 2nd pane - I immediately need shortcuts in MC style - F5 to copy from left pane to right pane etc. And there is a strong need to switch to su mode.
Last edited by vistad on Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Linux Mint Mate 21.2 64, fanless box with passive cooling
SimonTS

Re: Nautilus needs serious improvement!

Post by SimonTS »

If Nautilus doesn't do what you need then you have several options, but it is not a Mint application so there is not a whole lot that Clem or anyone else can do about it;-
1) Code a new or improved file manager yourself
2) Try out one of the many different file managers out there for Linux. I quite like Gnome Commander - it's not a pretty as Nautilus, but it is simple to use.
3) You could also try Konquerer if you can handle all the KDE dependencies being pulled in (91 packages, 234 MB on my system)
4) Try and see if you can program the stuff you need using the Nautilus Actions tool. I haven't looked at this myself, but it may be worth a try.

Other than that I'm not sure what to suggest.
Mozenrath

Post by Mozenrath »

Nautilus is a little basic, but I find it serves it's purpose. All it needs is Miller Columns!
vistad
Level 4
Level 4

Post by vistad »

This is an upstream issue and they are well informed of our suggestions, so I am closing this topic.
Linux Mint Mate 21.2 64, fanless box with passive cooling

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”