Startup Sounds Don't Work

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
aybesea
Level 2
Level 2

Startup Sounds Don't Work

Post by aybesea »

I'm new to LMDE, though I've been using Linux for 8 years and Ubuntu/Debian for 5 years. So far It's been quite easy to get things up and running to my satisfaction, but one minor issue is bugging me. Startup sounds do not work for me. Sound, in general, is fine. The "Gnome Login Sound" is listed in the Startup section of preferences, and enabled. If I run the command (/usr/bin/canberra-gtk-play --id="desktop-login" --description="GNOME Login") in a terminal window, it plays a wonderful login sound. Other startup apps are fine. But for some reason "Gnome Login Sound" does not play at login.

Has anyone else hit this?

Thanks.

NOTE: I also tried prepending a "sleep 10" to the command to make certain that it wasn't an ordering issue in startup apps, but that didn't work either. I'm really puzzled.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
The Diamond Geezer

Re: Startup Sounds Don't Work

Post by The Diamond Geezer »

Seconded, I have the same issue. Could not find any further info on the forums, any hep appreciated :)
twa

Post by twa »

Hi,
same issue for me too (LMDE 32 bits now changed to latest repo).
:?:
malligt
Level 4
Level 4

Post by malligt »

Maybe I can help you. I posted this problem on june 18th.

Here's a reply to my posting:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 00#p436686
The Diamond Geezer

Maybe I can help you. I posted this problem on june 18th.

Here's a reply to my posting:

viewtopic.php?f=141&t=67502&start=600#p436686
Thanks, and before we go ahead with this, did it fix the issue?
malligt
Level 4
Level 4

Post by malligt »

I could never get the mint-theme sounds that I originally heard upon start-up/login... never returned after that breakage. My LMDE system was busted after that, and I moved over to Mint 10/11, at least and until the LMDE "new-and-improved" re-spin is released in a week or so.

I am currently enjoying not having all the seemingly daily/weekly stresses and breakages of LMDE by using Mint 10 and/or Mint 11...and I am enjoying a gorgeous Michigan summer. I do foresee myself trying the LMDE-2 (respin) after it is released...but I will not get serious with it until after the end of summer...(after Labor Day).

Regards!
aybesea
Level 2
Level 2

Post by aybesea »

I tried applying the patch and recompiling... but no luck. :(
twa

Post by twa »

Hi,
not working..
:|
ginjabunny

Post by ginjabunny »

I installed LMDE last week and noticed no login sound, been having a play today, it looks like a bug and I can't see how to fix it properly BUT I have a workaround.

open terminal
run

Code: Select all

gnome-session-properties
untick "Gnome Login Sound" and close it

then run

gedit '.config/autostart/libcanberra-login-sound.desktop'
you should see

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Name=GNOME Login Sound
Comment=Plays a sound whenever you log in
Exec=/usr/bin/canberra-gtk-play --id="desktop-login" --description="GNOME Login"
OnlyShowIn=GNOME;
AutostartCondition=GSettings org.gnome.desktop.sound event-sounds
X-GNOME-Autostart-Phase=Application
X-GNOME-Provides=login-sound
X-GNOME-Autostart-enabled=false
delete the line starting "AutostartCondition=" and change the last line to true, then save it.

then run

chmod +x '.config/autostart/libcanberra-login-sound.desktop'
it should now work.

Two things to consider
1. if you tick the "Gnome Login Sound" box again it destroys everything you just did.
2. you could save it as something else and it should work as well, e.g. my-login-sound.desktop then chmod +x it.

Background
I noticed that when you untick something in Startup Application Preferences it put a non-executable .desktop file in the autostart folder, but when you tick it then it disappears but I can't figure out where it stores it! I found out the other day when playing with LXDE to run commands at login you can create an executable .desktop file in that folder.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

hi, ginjabunny
tried your solution in a full updated incoming-tracking LMDE and it works :)
if you don't mind i'm going to post this solution here http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... &start=880
twa

Post by twa »

ginjabunny,
your workaround solved my same problem.
many thanks
:D
The Diamond Geezer

Yup, same here, thanks a lot :D
jcbrinfo

Post by jcbrinfo »

The almost same workaround, but without using the terminal :
  1. Launch the control center.
  2. Go to "Applications on starting" (or something like that).
  3. In the list, select "Gnome Login Sound".
  4. Click on "Edit...".
  5. Copy the command.
  6. Click on "Cancel".
  7. Uncheck "Gnome Login Sound".
  8. Click on "Add".
  9. Give a significant name to this "program" (this "program" will be used as an alternative to "Gnome Login Sound").
  10. Past the command in the appropriate field.
  11. Click on "Add". The new "program" will be checked by default.
  12. Click on "Close".
Note : Because I have tried this with the french version of the GUI, the name of the features may not be what I wrote.
Note 2 : The differences between the "Gnome Login Sound" and the new "program" are invisible when you use the "GUI" way to do the trick. In fact, these differences correspond to the "X-GNOME-", the "AutostartCondition" and the "OnlyShowIn" lines in thier *.desktop file.
Note 3: You can switch between the two "programs" by checking / unchecking them in the "Applications on starting" dialog.
Note 4 : Try to avoid to have the two "programs" checked at the same time.
Last edited by jcbrinfo on Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
GregE

Post by GregE »

jcbrinfo wrote:The almost same workaround, but without using the terminal :
  1. Launch the control center.
  2. Go to "Applications on starting" (or something like that).
  3. In the list, select "Gnome Login Sound".
  4. Click on "Edit...".
  5. Copy the command.
  6. Click on "Cancel".
  7. Uncheck "Gnome Login Sound".
  8. Click on "Add".
  9. Give a significant name to this "program" (this "program" will be used as an alternative to "Gnome Login Sound").
  10. Past the command in the appropriate field.
  11. Click on "Add". The new "program" will be checked by default.
  12. Click on "Close".
Note : Because I have tried this with the french version of the GUI, the name of the features may not be what I wrote.
Note 2 : The differences between the "Gnome Login Sound" and the new "program" are invisible when you use the "GUI" way to the trick. In fact, these differences correspond to the "X-GNOME-", the "AutostartCondition" and the "OnlyShowIn" lines in thier *.desktop file.
Note 3: You can switch between the two "programs" by checking / unchecking them in the "Applications on starting" dialog.
Note 4 : Try to avoid to have the two "programs" checked at the same time.
Hi, I also used your method but there were two problems on my system. The command to play the sound was not installed and the Gnome Login sound file did not exist. So I just created a new Autostart entry with the command

aplay /usr/share/sounds/linuxmint-login.wav

And now it plays.

:)
fslap

Post by fslap »

Hi, I also used your method but there were two problems on my system. The command to play the sound was not installed and the Gnome Login sound file did not exist. So I just created a new Autostart entry with the command

aplay /usr/share/sounds/linuxmint-login.wav

And now it plays.
Of all the solutions I've tried, this simple fix is the only one that works.

Return to “LMDE Archive”