...best laptop distro...

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sabresofparadise

...best laptop distro...

Post by sabresofparadise »

Hi i have an ACER ASPIRE 5332 laptop, currently running mint julia 10, no other OS on it, i was just curious to know which distro is regarded as the best for laptops my machinerie has a 2x .celeron dual processer @ 1.9GHZ, 3GB memory and 250GB HDD, and is 64Bit ...mint works very nicely on it no complaints at all just curious about how other distros would work on my acer, and would there be an even better option than mint, or should i stay with mint...as it works so well, thank you for any feedback...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Re: ...best laptop distro...

Post by nunol »

Mint 10 is already very good but you can always try Mint 11 64-bits and see if it works better or wait for the respins of LMDE.
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

There is NO best laptop distro . . . only difference is personal preference.

Is it a fairly new laptop or an old laptop . . . then, it would be do you 'need' a light-weight distro?

With the amount of RAM you have, it doesn't really matter.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

You might checkout some of these:
http://www.linux-laptop.net/
http://www.linux.com/learn/docs/ldp/282 ... ns-for-you
http://www.labnol.org/software/best-lin ... ros/12757/
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... ux-438618/
sabresofparadise

...thanks for the info...this is all new to me and i will probably ask some daftish questions, made the switch from 7 to linux two months ago...and have learned more about computers in the last 2 months using linux, than what i have learned using MS around 10 years ago, will check out the links and get lost lol...as always...but hey...we all gotta start somewhere...cheers...
SimonTS

Post by SimonTS »

I have stuck with Mint 10 as I tried out 11 for a while and got pi$$ed off with having so many upstream issues caused by Ubuntu. I have messed around with XFCE, but I don't need a light-weight distro with my laptop hardware, so I think that LMDE is going to be my future route. I'm just waiting for the updated ISO which should, hopefully (http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 56#p444795) be 'just around the corner', rather than installing the current version and having to download 1GB+ of updates immediately :shock:

Of course, it is all down to personal preference, but I'm not convinced about the route that Ubuntu is going down so I'm getting ready to make the switch sooner, rather than later.
sabresofparadise

...well so far so good, thank you, it is not so much 'best' more so' personal preference' seems the way...will experiment over the coming months and years who knows where i may end up... :?:
lexon

Post by lexon »

There is no best, only what works best for you.
All I use is Mint 7 on a desktop and a laptop. I have one 'Puter that runs Mint 7 with no updates and runs just fine.
Only issue I have ever found is Open Office word processor spell check misses words at times. Sometimes I have to do three spell checks on the same message and Open Office tells me everything is ok. Go figure.
At least Mint is secure.
Ok, still no webcam audio even when I tried Mint 10. I still prefer Mint 7.

l
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

lexon wrote:There is no best...l
Finally, in plain English.
lexon

Post by lexon »

Forgot to answer the main question. Stay with Mint. It just works.

I started with Lindows 4.0 quite a few years ago.
I am not one to mess with an OS. I just want it to work.
I find more issue with Windows than I have ever had with Linux. SLow at times is mostly the issue.
A friend still uses XP and his PC drives me crazy.
If I can find a method to put Mint on a Flash Drive that does not require messing with Command line, it will be a great advantage.
I hope to find someone who sells the Flash Drive with Mint on it.
I still keep a hard drive with a Windows OS for one purpose and do not do that very much.
When I buy a new PC, it comes with Windows so I just pull the drive and put in a new drive and add Mint. Keeps me from becoming holier than though since I keep a Windows OS handy for one Windows application that always works.

L
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

delete: off topic
sorry
Last edited by wayne128 on Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lexon

Post by lexon »

[Mod: Edited per request]

Yeah, sorry, I hijacked the thread. I copied the message to a Open Office document, if the administrator wants to delete it.

Ok, that looks like it will work. I can do that. Thanks much.

I saw them for sale with a LInux OS at Amazon. Little pricey.

L
Sookster54

Post by Sookster54 »

Mint 9 runs very fluidly on my MSI netbook, had Mint 10 on my Toshiba laptop for a while but I went back to vanilla Debian (squeeze). Mint 11 has given me real headaches that I'm not bothering with it anymore.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”