Speakers keep playing when headphones plugged

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
STRESSy

Speakers keep playing when headphones plugged

Post by STRESSy »

Hi, i use Mint 4.0 and when i plug my headphones jack the sound plays in the headphones and in the speakers at the same time.

I was having some issues with my realtek 268 before but solve them putting

model=acer on alsa-base

but now i got this problem

my laptop is a compal ifl90 barebone

thanks if you can help
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
STRESSY

Re: Speakers keep playing when headphones plugged

Post by STRESSY »

No the laptop is new stefano
Robfuscate
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Robfuscate »

STRESSy wrote:Hi, i use Mint 4.0 and when i plug my headphones jack the sound plays in the headphones and in the speakers at the same time.
I was having some issues with my realtek 268 before but solve them putting
model=acer on alsa-base
Sorry about this, but I'm a real newbie and finally found a Linux distro that I both like the look of and that works - except for the headphones.

I bought a brand new Acer4310 to experiment with and the headphone jack worked with almost all the other distros I tried.

I'd like to try 'putting model=acer on alsa-base' to see if it sorts the problem - but I have no idea how to access alsa-base.

Basic instructions please?
leo37

Post by leo37 »

HI

Thanks for the info!! Unfortunately, I can't seem to make it work on my machine. I'm pretty new at this stuff so I don't know what went wrong.

I got a name from step 1 ("Intel") and I was able to open the alse-base file. Its the editing part I'm not sure of. This is what I added:

options snd-hda-intel model=auto

Anything missing? Is there an alternative method to do this?
Baptou

Post by Baptou »

Hello everyone,

I had the same problem with my laptop (3 years-old HP-Compaq NC6120 with an Intel ICH6), the solution I found is fairly simple:

Just double click on the Volume Control (the speaker at the bottom right of your screen) and go to the 'Switches' tab. There, make sure the Headphone Jack Sense is ticked. That did the trick for me...

Hope that helps^^
Robfuscate
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Robfuscate »

Baptou wrote:
Just double click on the Volume Control (the speaker at the bottom right of your screen) and go to the 'Switches' tab. There, make sure the Headphone Jack Sense is ticked. That did the trick for me...

Hope that helps^^
'Fraid not. There was no''switches' tab. On the other hand I discovered that a right click would allow me to mute. :)

Return to “Hardware Support”