Linux Mint 11 LXDE RC released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Linux Mint 11 LXDE RC released!

Post by clem »

The team is proud to announce the release of Linux Mint 11 LXDE RC. Linux Mint 11 LXDE RC New features at a glance: The Software Manager UI improvements New splash screen Fonts category More accurate package information More application icons by default More accurate search by default The Update Manager Performance boosts Improved dependencies [...]
Announcement: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1775
SimonTS

Re: Linux Mint 11 LXDE RC released!

Post by SimonTS »

Nice to see - let's hope it has a smoother ride than the main edition did. Thanks for all your hard work, I look forward to playing with this.
deleted

Post by deleted »

So that's why the server is slow ;)
Great job.
-Hinto
zohall
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zohall »

wow...very good. i waiting for final version
blueXrider

Post by blueXrider »

Can't wait to throw it on my other machine, NICE!
professorsnapper
Level 2
Level 2

Post by professorsnapper »

My feedback on Mint 11 LXDE RC follows...

For the record, I have the LXDE RC installed on an 8GB bootable USB stick created using Unetbootin, and I checked the MD5 to ensure the ISO was AOK - golly, the TLA's (Three-letter acronyms) are out in force today!

1) First impressions: looks great. Slick, quick, and minimalist, yet retaining the Minty goodness. I'm impressed.
2) Wireless on my Dell Inspiron Mini 10 netbook, booting from the above USB stick, worked fine out of the box. No such luck with wireless broadband via my USB wireless dongle (Virgin Mobile is the ISP, and the device is a Huawei E160E USB stick). In this regard, seems similar to recent issues I've had with LMDE.
3) It seems there's no app included to take advantage of my built-in webcam (Cheese, etc), and I haven't downloaded an app to test this. I suggest that including one would be a fine idea.
4) The changes to the installer are welcome - it seems more simple and intuitive than ever, and I especially like the "detect keyboard" function! Nice touch.
5) That said, it wasn't easy as easy as I'd have liked to partition my USB stick within the install process. I used Gparted within the LiveCD/LiveUSB environment to do this, but it didn't turn out as planned, and curiously, Gparted disappeared from the system menu after I'd installed the system to the USB. For the record, I've successfully used Gparted before, and my intention this time was to allow 3GB for sdX1 as root, 128MB as swap, and the remainder of the 8GB stick as /home. Unfortunately, after creating a new partition table for the device during the install process, and creating the first partition (sdX1), there seemed no option through the GUI to create subsequent partitions for swap and /home. I did this successfully through Gparted outside of the install process, but even then, when I then went through the install process, Ubiquity didn't show sdX2 and sdX3, so I couldn't allocate them as I'd planned, and the installer put my /home on sdX1.
6) I disagree with the assertion that a completely black login process looks good. I'd read the release notes, so knew to expect it, but the uninitiated could be forgiven for thinking that the system has hung during boot.
7) The "system profiler and benchmark" is a great idea, and nicely implemented. On one occasion, I had selected a test, and it seemed to crash the profiler, causing it to quit and returned me to the desktop without a message or notification. I haven't been able to replicate this situation again (yet). Also, on a couple of occasions, I had pressed the button to select a test, and after waiting a while (>1minute), discovered that it hadn't actually conducted the test. Upon pressing the button again, it eventually did. The results could be made a little clearer - the comment at the bottom says that "a lower number is better", but curiously, a lower number results in a bigger column on the graph! This seems to be counterintuitive to me. To clarify this, the results could be ranked in order of speed, with the quickest at the top, and the comment at the bottom of the screen could be worded as such.

So, there's my $0.02 for the time being - I hope this helps! It's such a well-polished distro, and I'd like to congratulate all involved.

*EDIT* re: USB wireless dongle, I've just connected to a wireless hotspot, accessed the terminal as root, and did an "apt-get wvdial" as suggested in other posts. This downloaded a handful of files, but I still could not access wireless broadband via the system tray. The USB wireless dongle shows in the list, but when I click on it I get no spinning balls to suggest an attempted connection, nothing.

Thanks,
Ken.
johnny87au

Post by johnny87au »

how would i go about upgrading from mint 10 without losing anything ?? ive only been using mint for a few months now..
arkanabar

Post by arkanabar »

I'm more interested in knowing if there'll be an update path to lxde final.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

About 5)
GParted is only on a live Mint, and the installer is set to exclude it. As Linux is open-source and the installer is written in Python, you must be able to avoid this by looking into the installer's source. Or probably it's even easier.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

To prevent gparted from being removed on the install it's actually fairly complicated versus simply putting it in yourself after the install. You would need to extract the .iso file, add a line to a manifest.desktop file and then rebuild the iso. We don't have gparted as a default installed application as it's usually completely unnecessary there and just takes up space. On live images it's often used for custom partitioning before the install.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”