Running smoothly? Bored now :(

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Spec-chum

Running smoothly? Bored now :(

Post by Spec-chum »

Am I the only one who gets a bit bored when everything works? I surely can't be the only one who exclaims "Yes!" under his breath when something breaks :)

Maybe it's just me? lol
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Habitual

Re: Running smoothly? Bored now :(

Post by Habitual »

It's not just you.

I sometimes have to invent things to do on/in Linux just to remind myself that I still have a brain cell or two that work.
YMMV ;)

Lately, it's been yad/zenity to "GUI'fy" my bash scripts and automated tasks.
Last edited by Habitual on Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

No, you're not the only one. :lol: :lol:
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
SimonTS

Post by SimonTS »

Isn't that part of the reason why we choose to use Linux? The knowledge that something WILL go wrong sooner or later, but that when it does go wrong we actually have a chance of fixing it, unlike running Microsoft where we may well just be sat there swearing at the computer and praying for a miracle? :mrgreen:
Elmacus

Post by Elmacus »

+1
Without break, nothing to learn.

Sent from Android using tapatalk.
Roken
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Roken »

I get upset when there are no updates that have the potential to break my system, simply because I know it's another day of smooth running. Where's the fun in that?
Kernel Linux Tex 5.12.14-zen1-1-zen, XFCE
Arch
Dual GTX1070 8Gb
AMD Ryzen 1800X
32Gb RAM
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

+1 to join this club :lol:
sgosnell

Post by sgosnell »

If you're bored, switch to Unstable. Or if you're really bored, Experimental.

Actually, I see less borkage with Sid than Wheezy, and what there is gets fixed in a day or so. I am running a few specific packages from Experimental, notably Iceweasel 7.0. I really like it.
autocrosser

Post by autocrosser »

sgosnell wrote:If you're bored, switch to Unstable. Or if you're really bored, Experimental.

Actually, I see less borkage with Sid than Wheezy, and what there is gets fixed in a day or so. I am running a few specific packages from Experimental, notably Iceweasel 7.0. I really like it.
It's funny that I get more b0rkage with Sid than Experimental.....The last fun I had was with the Mesa/Nvidia driver bit a couple of weeks ago...Experimental just works.....and the only things I have held back are Perl & Python updates.

Gnome Shell is a wonder---it also just works.....
xircon

Post by xircon »

Me too :) Mandriva Cooker kept me on my toes!

I have spent the last week setting up my machine to run SLiM and Compiz as a standalone window manager, but it all works now (mostly, but there must be something that doesn't, I just haven't found it yet :D ).

We need a thread of challenging projects perhaps.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

hi xircon, yeahh cooker was a wild beast :lol: :lol: i'm trying to get the same fun out of cauldron, but it looks more well-behaved :mrgreen:
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

xircon wrote:...We need a thread of challenging projects perhaps.
Actually, I want to ask the Admins/MODs about starting a "Basic Programming Talk" section.
xircon

Post by xircon »

zerozero wrote:hi xircon, yeahh cooker was a wild beast :lol: :lol: i'm trying to get the same fun out of cauldron, but it looks more well-behaved :mrgreen:
Haven't tried it yet, lot of respect for the Mandriva forums and people, really ought to give Mageia a a go, but haven't had the time.
xircon

Post by xircon »

Habitual wrote:
Actually, I want to ask the Admins/MODs about starting a "Basic Programming Talk" section.
Anything but Python :) Been attempting to hack Python scripts (with some success) all week. Horrible language can't understand the hype.
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

xircon wrote:
Habitual wrote:
Anything but Python :) Been attempting to hack Python scripts (with some success) all week. Horrible language can't understand the hype.
How about "Basic BASH Programming Talk" ??

'Now I use linux allowing me to control the "lasers" on my "death-star" with ease' - dr_evil

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=76956
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

"If it's NOT broken ... tweak it until it b0rks, Fix it and tweak it again" :P

"If it's not broken ... you're not trying hard enough" :lol:
jeffreyC

Post by jeffreyC »

I broke something, I fixed it....... even that can get boring after a while, then what ?
Distro hopping ? Window manager hopping ?
LifeInTheGrey
Level 3
Level 3

Post by LifeInTheGrey »

If you're ever bored, and REALLY want to devote yourself to troubleshooting and struggling to get a working system ... install Gentoo. Guarantee you'll learn something. Side-by-side with LMDE, of course. ;)
the beauty of linux is that the rabbit hole goes as deep as you want it to go.
rjs

Post by rjs »

Spec-chum wrote:Am I the only one who gets a bit bored when everything works? I surely can't be the only one who exclaims "Yes!" under his breath when something breaks :) Maybe it's just me? lol

Code: Select all

Try sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
Now that will keep you busy.. :)
Just teasing, don't do it, it might break your standard LMDE install.
Last edited by rjs on Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:39 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Dr.m0x

Post by Dr.m0x »

The first time I tried Linux (mepis) several years ago I ended up shifting back to Windows because I got bored with the lack of maintenance required.

Now days I have better ways to spend my time than constantly running virus scans and defrags, tweaking the registry, and dealing with driver regressions just to play a new game.

Stable is good, and honestly I've been surprised how stable testing has been.

---
Sent from my Cyanogenmod-ified phone.

Return to “LMDE Archive”