Registering to "latest" repository

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
roger64
Level 4
Level 4

Registering to "latest" repository

Post by roger64 »

Hi

New on LMDE. I changed today my Debian repos to latest Mint repository.

This is what I did:

Is it normal and expected to change three Debian repos to a single Mint one or did I do a mistake?
Mint is so strong? :o
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Registering to "latest" repository

Post by tdockery97 »

My understanding is that you leave the Debian security and multimedia repos active also, as they have packages not in the Mint Debian repos.

The instructions are here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 56&start=0
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
roger64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by roger64 »

Thanks for the info and the link. :)

I rescued my two Debian repos and I also downloaded and installed mintupdate-debian.
msm

Post by msm »

How did you download the mintupdate-debian? I tried earlier from the terminal and got a message saying the package could not be found.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

hi msm,
after you changed sources.list according to your choice: latest to get a more "stable" LMDE, incoming to test issues, run

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install mintupdate-debian
tell us how it goes
roger64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by roger64 »

Hi

Latest update-pack.

After installing the zerozero way, mintupdate-debian with its nice update pack info button began working only a day later, when I restarted my computer. It informed me of the arrival on updatepack n°1 (mainly related things about codecs) and installed it without any hitch.

In the update info windows, I was informed of regressions for the arrival of some Gnome 3 components and that I could delay their install, but these components were actually not part of the update pack. .

So, I would say, it's working. For now, everything is quiet on the Western front. :)
grizzler

Post by grizzler »

Actually, the codec related items weren't part of an update pack.
They're from the multimedia repository and will continue to come in as they are released.

Also, if you used to update regularly, the Gnome 3 components mentioned have probably already been installed. They predate the Update Pack system. Check your terminal window, the calculator and the system monitor.
roger64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by roger64 »

1. - I have been notified of the arrival of update pack n°1 with exactly these items

2. - Indeed, my gnome-terminal is now Gnome 3 and working well though the drop down menus looks a little old-fashioned, Clearlooks like.
calculatrice (gcalctool) is v. 6.02 and has the same Clearlooks style too (not my everyday use anyway).
moniteur système is v. 3.0.1 and the same as above.
Gnome 3 is creeping in... :)

(mistake)
msm

Post by msm »

zerozero wrote:hi msm,
after you changed sources.list according to your choice: latest to get a more "stable" LMDE, incoming to test issues, run

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install mintupdate-debian
tell us how it goes
I changed the sources.list to the latest as you described in here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 56&start=0 and first ran the sudo apt-get update and then ran sudo apt-get install mintupdate-debian, but still get the package not found error. Weird...
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

msm,
please show us the output of

cat /etc/apt/sources.list
and

apt-cache policy mintupdate-debian
msm

Post by msm »

Here you go:

$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list
deb http://packages.linuxmint.com/ debian main upstream import
deb http://debian.linuxmint.com/latest testing main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org testing main non-free

$ apt-cache policy mintupdate-debian
N: Ignoring file 'google-chrome.list.save' in directory '/etc/apt/sources.list.d/' as it has an invalid filename extension
N: Ignoring file 'google-talkplugin.list.save' in directory '/etc/apt/sources.list.d/' as it has an invalid filename extension
N: Unable to locate package mintupdate-debian
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

well it's as you said weird :lol: the repos are right; apt-cache policy shows errors related to the repos in sources.list.d, maybe that's why can't find mintupdate; if you do a

sudo apt-get update
the result is clear or do you see any errors? like couldn't refresh the list... old ones were used (or something similar, i don't recall the exact wording)

also you can see in synaptic and do a search for mintupdate, the pkg should come up, and mark it to install (if the apt-get update is performing correctly)
msm

Post by msm »

Doing a sudo apt-get update goes well as such, but the last lines show these errors:

N: Ignoring file 'google-chrome.list.save' in directory '/etc/apt/sources.list.d/' as it has an invalid filename extension
N: Ignoring file 'google-talkplugin.list.save' in directory '/etc/apt/sources.list.d/' as it has an invalid filename extension
N: Ignoring file 'dropbox.list.save' in directory '/etc/apt/sources.list.d/' as it has an invalid filename extension
E: Release file expired, ignoring http://debian.linuxmint.com/latest/dists/testing/Release (invalid since 5h 42min 53s)
Would this have an impact?

Edit: Synaptic Manager indicates that mintupdate version 4.3.2 is already installed.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

i believe it's that last line; i saw another post already with the same error: something with the server, the repo is not being reached;
my advise will be to wait
msm

Post by msm »

Ok, I'll wait. Thanks for your replies.
roger64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by roger64 »

The "first" one :) (I forgot to give this screenshot)

Dr.m0x

Re: Re: Registering to "latest" repository

Post by Dr.m0x »

grizzler wrote:Actually, the codec related items weren't part of an update pack.
They're from the multimedia repository and will continue to come in as they are released.

Also, if you used to update regularly, the Gnome 3 components mentioned have probably already been installed. They predate the Update Pack system. Check your terminal window, the calculator and the system monitor.
I was wondering why my fonts were all messed up in the terminal.

---
Sent from my Cyanogenmod-ified phone.
roger64
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Re: Registering to

Post by roger64 »

Dr.m0x wrote: I was wondering why my fonts were all messed up in the terminal.
If I judge from mine, this is unrelated. The only thing I noticed is a theme change for the applications concerned, but not a font quality difference.
SimonTS

Post by SimonTS »

@Roger,

Did you ever resolve that issue with the Repo? I asked the same question in a different thread and ZeroZero was kind enough to answer me, but I saw no update on this one.

gksudo gedit /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/80mintupdate-debian
Just put one line in there;-
Acquire::Check-Valid-Until "false";
Save it and you should be good to go.
roger64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by roger64 »

@Simon TS

No problem with my install. I've this Acquire line in place and mintupdtate-debian install is in order. Thanks.

Return to “LMDE Archive”