What kernel is LMDE using after updates? Also, Remastersys?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Nick_Djinn

What kernel is LMDE using after updates? Also, Remastersys?

Post by Nick_Djinn »

The kernel gets upgraded in LMDE right? Besides the heat bug, likely due to some kind of overclocking effect (maybe?), I really loved the performance boost in the latest releases. I dont much care for how buggy they are, but I am wondering if that is more Ubuntu than kernel.

Also, is Remastersys in the repos? Does it install nice and easy, because I know there are some special dependencies in Debian that dont exist in Ubuntu.

Can anyone recommend a re-branding tool? We are looking to make a distro intended for probably no more than 20-40 peoples, with tor and p2p setuo by default, loaded with pen-testing and media tools. Liquid lemur and some other pen-test distros OTHER than backtrack are on the potential list.

We really need the ad-hoc networking in the new kernel....so Debian Testing?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vrkalak

Re: What kernel is LMDE using after updates? Also, Remasters

Post by vrkalak »

The new kernel in the re-vamped LMDE / debian-mint repros is > 2.6.39-2

Don't use Remasterkeys ... so I do not know.
rjs

Post by rjs »

I use remastersys... not his opsys, but his dvd authoring backup utils.

Remastersys is not in the repos on LMDE. You have to add their deb to /etc/apt/sources.lst.

Code: Select all

# Remastersys Squeeze
deb http://www.geekconnection.org/remastersys/repository squeeze/ 
Remastersys installs with apt-get update && apt-get install remastersys.

I am running the liquorix 64bit smp kernel. And remastersys is working superb on this end.
One recommendation is to not use the remastersys menu items, but use remastersys cli
at the prompt. ex: remastersys backup mydate-mybackup.iso.
Nick_Djinn

Post by Nick_Djinn »

I am not that proficient at the CLI for most apps, mostly because I dont need to be.

Is there a tutorial somewhere for doing things the cli way for dummies?

I notice a lot of geeks like to skip steps because they seem so obvious.....They used to flunk me in math despite perfect scores on my tests because I couldnt figure out how to show my work because I actually skipped steps in my head...they accused me of cheating until I showed I was able to do it.....and the witch still flunked me :( I guess what she really wanted was to prove I was cheating so she could kick me out of the class.

Anyway, a lot of instructions that are written by geeks for geeks get a 50% F for skipping steps.
rjs

Post by rjs »

Hi Nick,

Well just for this program on LMDE I recommended it due to the fact that their GUI for remastersys is a bit flaky. It was much more workable on ubuntu.
Anyhow, it's easy, just pop open a terminal and do:

sudo remastersys help

This will give you the very few and limited options that remastersys has for you to use. Personally, I only use one.

sudo remastersys backup

That's it. But if you want to have a unique name for your .iso you can:

sudo remastersys backup whatevername.iso

Just type it in a terminal.

Remastersys is excellent software for backups. And even works on SSD drives.
Nick_Djinn

Post by Nick_Djinn »

Great instructions! Thank you.

That is really easy.

I need to sit down with my ereader and spend an hour a day on a non-graphical install, or maybe fluxbox.
rjs

Post by rjs »

After you have created the .iso, it will be located in /home/remastersys/

Do check and verify the iso is good, burn to a cd/dvd and boot it up.
When finished boot to your desktop, open a terminal, and:

sudo remastersys clean

That will clean up the build for the backup and remove the /home/remastersys/*.*
You will need to do this for each backup build as it keeps the build cleaned up.

If you're concerned about the backup being good, you can always use the bootable
remastersys install disk to restore the drive. I've done this on several occassions just
to make sure the remastersys build was working correctly. I've never had one not
work thus far. I normally keep the backups around 3.8G and burn to 4.7G DVD roms.
Your milage will vary depending on how large your backup is. If too large, the build will stop
and warn you that it didn't work upon creating the .iso.

You're welcome
--rjs

Return to “LMDE Archive”