[inv]Samba:Mint requests credentials from WinXP toviewshares

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

[inv]Samba:Mint requests credentials from WinXP toviewshares

Post by altair4 »

Problem Overview

From Windows XP I can see the Mint machine on the network but am prompted for a user name and password just to view the share list of that box. These shares have been created as public shares and do not require a password to access. This will occur only after creating a Samba User. This will occur only from WinXP , not Win2K or another Mint.

Steps to Reproduce

(1) I started with a clean install of Mint 7 Gnome and fully updated through mintUpdate.

I did this two different ways in an attempt to determine if this was a nautilus-share problem only.

(2) Using nautilus-share I created a shared directory:
net usershare info:
[share]
path=/home/altair4/Share
comment=
usershare_acl=Everyone:F,
guest_ok=y
When I access this box from My Network Places in WinXP I can see the box and the share and have access to the share.

Now I create a samba user. Note that a samba user at this point is not required because the share that I created does not require authentication:
sudo smbpasswd -a altair4
My Network Places will display the Mint box but will prompt me for authentication to view the share list - not to access the share - just to view the share list.

(3) I did the same thing using "Classic Samba" ( shares-admin ) by creating the following share definition after deleting the share created by nautilus-share:
[Share]
path = /home/altair4/Share
available = yes
browsable = yes
public = yes
writable = yes
Once again I can see the box but am prompted for authentication to view the share list.

(4) In both cases I can toggle the effect simply by adding or deleting the samba user.

Package Status

Kernel 2.6.28-11-generic i686 (32 bit) Distro Linux Mint 7 Gloria - Main Edition
apt version samba
2:3.3.2-1ubuntu3.1
apt version samba-common
2:3.3.2-1ubuntu3.1
apt version nautilus-share
0.7.2-4ubuntu1
apt version gnome-system-tools
2.22.2-0ubuntu4

Other Information

tertparm /etc/samba/smb.conf
[global]
server string = %h server
map to guest = Bad User
obey pam restrictions = Yes
passdb backend = tdbsam
pam password change = Yes
passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
unix password sync = Yes
log level = 1
syslog = 0
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
max log size = 1000
dns proxy = No
usershare allow guests = Yes
panic action = /usr/share/samba/panic-action %d

[printers]
comment = All Printers
path = /var/spool/samba
create mask = 0700
printable = Yes
browseable = No

[print$]
comment = Printer Drivers
path = /var/lib/samba/printers

[Share]
path = /home/altair4/Share
read only = No
guest ok = Yes
It is interesting to note that the share definition from testparm does not match a cut and paste from smb.conf itself for share [Share]

This problem arose because I wanted to create a mix of public and private shares on the Mint box. WinXP users accessing just public shares will be forced to pass credentials just to view the available shares.

Workaround

(1) For client users with samba usernames and passwords on the target server box this is not a problem. It will be a little awkward since they will not be used to sending credentials before they see the available shares.

(2) For guests to access public shares they will have to pass credentials but they don't need samba usernames and passwords. They can view and then access shares by using:
User Name: guest
Password: NULL

I have tried to find relevant posts in the ubuntu's launchpad but have as yet been unsuccessful. It's possible I'm searching in the wrong place. This might not be a samba bug but an encryption or other authorization / authentication bug.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
emorrp1

Re: Samba : Mint requests credentials from WinXP to view shares

Post by emorrp1 »

I suspect it's actually your use of it. I guess that the "samba" username is protected, so you're coming across conflicts when managing it yourself, try a different username to achieve the desired effect. OTOH, I don't know much about samba
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Not quite sure I followed that. I have two login users on the Mint Server - altair4 and tester1. You can only create samba users from local login users. In this particular case it doesn't matter which login user I create the samba user from, all that matters is that there is a samba user.

Just to be clear ( since I'm not an articulate person ) about the nature of the problem. The way it should work from WinXP ( or linux ) is this way:

My Network Places > Workgroup > Netbios Name > Share > if share requires credentials, WinXP will ask for authentication. If it's a public share I'm granted access.

What is happening is this:

My Network Places > Workgroup > Netbios Name > WinXP will ask for authentication - But only if I have created a samba user on the server box

WinXP is asking for authentication at the Netbios Name level in order to display the shares - be they public or private. I can give it my samba username and password and I will see the shares. If I select the shares I am granted access. If I don't have a samba username and password because I'm trying to access the public shares I'm stopped at the Netbios Name level. This is definately not the way it worked in Mint6.

Again, this happens only for the two WinXP boxes on my network. Not the linux or Win2K boxes on my network.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

After nearly a week with this new install, the problem I described above ( as well as a large number of other unrelated errors ) just went away and then the disk failed. Installed onto a new hard disk and can't reproduce the problem.

So it was either the bad disk or the part of the computer that resides between the keyboard and the chair seat that was at fault. If I could delete this entire topic I would. A thousand pardons for not doing my homework before posting.
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

no worries, just glad you've got a working system and that I don't have to do any more legwork to determine what's wrong.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: [inv]Samba:Mint requests credentials from WinXP toviewsh

Post by altair4 »

You are posting in a 2 year old bug report that has been marked invalid [inv] as I was clearly hallucinating.

With a Win98 client you need to turn back the clock and add the following line to the [global] section of smb.conf:

Code: Select all

lanman auth = yes
Then restart samba

If that doesn't resolve your problem please start your own topic on this issue.
rich_roast

Re: [inv]Samba:Mint requests credentials from WinXP toviewsh

Post by rich_roast »

There were two spammers at work here, using necromancy to fly links in their signatures under the radar. Neither will be posting anything any more, I'm afraid. I'm going to lock this thread so as not to attract further incidents.

Return to “Beginner Questions”