a strange thing i just met

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
johnrey

a strange thing i just met

Post by johnrey »

i installed mint 11 recently and i found today that the system may get stuck when I do the following:
click Menu, and type "pul" in the search box. (in fact, i just want to search for "pulseaudio", but i can't finish that word).
does anybody else met this before?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
wayne128

Re: a strange thing i just met

Post by wayne128 »

What you said seems to be similar to this topic of mintmenu hang up.
Just read this thread.
If hang up CPU might reach 100%.
There was a 'work around' suggested in the thread

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... +menu+hang
Tannn3r

Post by Tannn3r »

I can reproduce as well on Linux Mint 11. That's a strange bug.
geezuslvr

Post by geezuslvr »

I just tried it and after several seconds of what looks like a hang is really a search being done. After the search is completed, a whole bunch of stuff appears. Kinda neat actually. So I'm wondering if what your experiencing is a hardware issue. I've been having problems with a Nvidia video card that has been giving me "choppy" "Slow Response" and stuff like that can slow a computer down a lot.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

This is not a hardware issue (unless you consider not having the "fastest of the fast" as a hardware issue). By default the mintMenu also looks for packages to install, and there just happen to be a lot of packages with the letters "pul" in it. So the CPU is shortly locked in a loop going through that list. It does really depend on your hardware. Searching for "pul" only locks up mine for 3 seconds or so.

You can either: right-click Menu, click Preferences, go to Applications tab and remove checkmark on "Search for packages to install". Or follow the link by wayne128 for a small edit you can do to the Python code to fix this (direct link: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 89#p384373)

Return to “Non-technical Questions”