Bug in mint update [SOLVED]

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
ckosloff

Bug in mint update [SOLVED]

Post by ckosloff »

Using LMDE 32-bit.
New mint update reports 737 recommended packages available.
Click Install and after a long wait I get message that some 8 packages will be removed and 110 updated.
Click OK and the whole thing disappears, no more updates.
Click Cancel and the thing is back to zero.
How can I update via Mint Update?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Aging Technogeek

Re: Bug in mint update

Post by Aging Technogeek »

This is a common complaint in LMDE. Mintupdate was designed to work with Ubuntu's repos and does not play nice with Debian. Clem and the team have written a new updater for LMDE and it is currently in advanced testing (http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1781)

If you do not want to install the new updater, there are a couple of alternatives.

1. Use terminal commands to do the upgrade

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
and

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
2. Use mintUpdate, but do the upgrade in batches of 10-40 individual updates at one time.

I have used both methods and found both to work well. The batch method is slower but you can more easily control what updates are added if you do not want to install everything. Dist-upgrade will install all available updates that do not conflict with existing dependency trees.
ckosloff

Post by ckosloff »

I am trying to make headway on this.
Changed repos according to the mentioned article, biut I get this:

Ignoring file 'opera.list.save' in directory '/etc/apt/sources.list.d/' as it has an invalid filename extensionIgnoring file 'google-chrome.list.save' in directory '/etc/apt/sources.list.d/' as it has an invalid filename extensionRelease file expired, ignoring http://debian.linuxmint.com/latest/dist ... /InRelease (invalid since 2d 7h 27min 11s)
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

check in this post in the known issues part http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 56&start=0
LifeInTheGrey
Level 3
Level 3

Post by LifeInTheGrey »

Have you just installed? As in, are you using the original mintUpdate? Because part of some recent updates involve deleting mintupdate, and replacing it with the new mintupdate-debian package, which is specific for LMDE. Prior to the update, close mintupdate, and then run in terminal:

sudo apt-get install mintupdate-debian

This will delete the old mintupdate and install the proper new mintupdate-debian (as well as a couple other mint goodies), and once that is installed then you can reopen mintUpdate from the menu and run those updates as you desire.
the beauty of linux is that the rabbit hole goes as deep as you want it to go.
ckosloff

Re: Bug in mint update [SOLVED]

Post by ckosloff »

Worth noting that I had trouble using the CLI to get mintupdate-debian.
Ben in the IRC channel suggested getting it directly from repo @ packages.linuxmint.com.
That worked and I could update system with like 900 updates.
Everything is OK so far.
Thanks to everybody.

Return to “LMDE Archive”